Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-03, 12:12 PM   #121
digitalwanderer

Question Question?

Since no one will tell us what's going on inside nVidia right now, anyone care to hazard any wild guesses?

I'm guessing that How Hung is ranting like a fiend a saying a LOT of very bad words right now while not answering his phone....
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 05-23-03, 12:12 PM   #122
EMunEeE
Me

Send a message via AIM to EMunEeE

Quote:
Originally posted by Kombatant
Ok, so far:

FACT: nVidia cheated
UNDER INVESTIGATION: ATi MAY have cheated.

Whatever the case may be, I consider cheating to be downright an insult to the intellect of the consumer. Period. I wish it was the same with everyone...
I second that. I hope reviewers now just use games mainly (they already do). 3D Mark I think is way overrated. They should come out with a performance index based on the score from all different kinds of gaming engines...with the more popular engines getting more weight than others. Using pixel/vertex shader benches would work though.
ABIT AN8 Ultra (nForce4 Ultra) || AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ || 2GB OCZ Performance PC3200 DDR SDRAM || ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon X1800 XL 256MB || Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 || 120GB & 80GB Seagate HDs || Lite-On DVD Drive & DVD RW || Antec P160WF Case || Antec TruePower 2.0 430W PSU || Samsung 204T (20.1") & Hitachi CML174SX (17") LCDs

I'm black, I'm still sexy, my computer is now sexier though.
Old 05-23-03, 12:13 PM   #123
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by reever2
Ati said in their 3.4 driver release that they increased performance in 3dmark2003, if they did this by cheating why would they even mention they "increased performance"?
AFAIK CM stated that while designing the cat 3.2's they noticed some increased performance paths for the other r3xx series cards... which would be implemented into cat 3.3 which was not publicly released... and hence was seen in cat 3.4's

the investigation's results should be released within a week or two and should explain why there is the decrease in gt4 of 8 odd percent even though teh overall result is still within the overall margins regarding variance of +/- 3%...
Old 05-23-03, 12:13 PM   #124
gordon151

Quote:
Originally posted by vampireuk
What are you retarded or something?
Ok now that I've stopped crying after reading that reply to Hanners that vampireuk made , it's questionable whether ATI is cheating or not. 10 more 3DMarks isn't exactly that big a deal IMHO, but obviously ATI thought so :P. We will see when Futuremark has come to a conclusion on that though.
Old 05-23-03, 12:14 PM   #125
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Question?

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer

I'm guessing that How Hung is ranting like a fiend a saying a LOT of very bad words right now while not answering his phone....
you can't say thats coz of the 3dmark03 issue though

remember.. he didn't get his MASSIVE bonus this year ...

lol...
Old 05-23-03, 12:15 PM   #126
evilangel

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
How many people do you see with Unreal Tournament 2003 scores in their sigs? Or Comanche 4 scores? Or anything like that?

No individual benchmarks games anymore because he assumes that 3DMark will give him a score that magically corresponds to his performance in actual stuff.

BS. Plenty of people bench with games.
Old 05-23-03, 12:17 PM   #127
EMunEeE
Me

Maybe nVIDIA incorporated this cheat on purpose to make 3D Mark 2003 irrelevant at the expense of their own integrity.

I certainly wish Matrox would get back in the swing of things. Maybe some AIB company would buy em ....
ABIT AN8 Ultra (nForce4 Ultra) || AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ || 2GB OCZ Performance PC3200 DDR SDRAM || ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon X1800 XL 256MB || Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 || 120GB & 80GB Seagate HDs || Lite-On DVD Drive & DVD RW || Antec P160WF Case || Antec TruePower 2.0 430W PSU || Samsung 204T (20.1") & Hitachi CML174SX (17") LCDs

Old 05-23-03, 12:19 PM   #128
mariuz
Albino penguin

Default Yah just a mosquito bite

Quote:
Originally posted by vampireuk
I'm going to go over this with a fine tooth comb
Common people Intella is cheating in
Sysmark 2003 and nobody cares and they sponsor (own) the sysmark http://www.flickerdown.com/pn/module...article&sid=60
so the futuremark is somehow sponsored by the
graphics underdog ATI and Intella
Look down after Intella Name
http://www.bapco.com/alliancePR.htm
(Ati and Intella still very good friends until Intella wants the Ati's market pie ...sorry ati )
Thouse types of Benchmarks are good only for them owners Intella and ATI .
Who knows what nice assembler tricks does Intella to stay on top of the World ...err ...whait
a minute they write the Benchmarks so why
bother with assembler , they can "improove"
the benchmark .
The same apply to Ati vs Nvidia .
Now what chances AMD and NVIDIA have to
compete with the benchmarks owners (Masters) nil ,zero , niente . So stick with
the Applications, Game benchies...
I remember a acehardware thread where
SUN compiler is replacing the algorithm of
the benchmarks using some nice regexp or
(something like that ) with a better one .
Quote:
You obviously haven't been following the Spec CPU benchmark in the last few years. Sun's Forte' compilers have been performing major algorithm substitution (row <-> column switches including calls to *malloc*.) And if you bother to check you can see that Intel's compilers have "magically" gotten a lot better at the very same tests that Sun's have. I.e., probably the two most actively developed compilers right now *both* have algorithm substitution "features".
PS :
So this seems to be the same case with nvidia "cheat"

Last edited by mariuz; 05-23-03 at 12:47 PM.

Old 05-23-03, 12:24 PM   #129
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Default Re: Yah just a mosquito bite

Quote:
Originally posted by mariuz
so the futuremark is somehow sponsored by the
graphics underdog ATI
I'd love to know where this 'FutureMark is sponsored by ATi' stuff comes from. ATi are a beta partner for FutureMark, along with a lot of other big companies, they aren't sponsoring them.

By the way, isn't it a scary coincidence how many people use the same posting style as Nv40?
Old 05-23-03, 12:27 PM   #130
bkswaney
Mr. Extreme!

Send a message via Yahoo to bkswaney

Well, all i see is a bunch of flaming.
Has anyone run the new test yet?
How much did your score go down?
15.6 inch HD WideScreen
Nvidia 8200M-G 895mb
2Gig system ram
250Gig SATA 5400rpm HDrive
Vista Premium
Old 05-23-03, 12:28 PM   #131
EMunEeE
Me

Default Re: Yah just a mosquito bite

nVIDIA can still compete...they just need to stop releasing some half-a** hardware...they have the financial resources and technical know how. The only thing stopping nVIDIA is nVIDIA. They seem to want more now and aren't doing t many tasks with any kind of detail. If they slowdown and reassess what went wrong for the past 20 months they can get back on track. Until that happens nVIDIA will have a scarred name and tarnished reputation. Hopefully the NV40 will be the Messiah for nVIDIA delivering them from all evil.

AMD on the other hand....

Old 05-23-03, 12:30 PM   #132
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Re: Yah just a mosquito bite

Quote:
Originally posted by $E Mun$

AMD on the other hand....
has the opteron out and is shortly releasing the athlon64...
Closed Thread