Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-03, 01:44 PM   #145
evilangel

Many people don't use 3DMark to make their decision when buying video cards, another fact.
Old 05-23-03, 01:45 PM   #146
curio
R3D Pimpin'

Quote:
Originally posted by evilangel
Many people don't use 3DMark to make their decision when buying video cards, another fact.
Yeah, but many do - and I'll bet the percentage that do is higher then you think...
Old 05-23-03, 01:50 PM   #147
gordon151

Quote:
Originally posted by curio
Yeah, but many do - and I'll bet the percentage that do is higher then you think...
I'd venture to say that people don't use 3DMark as the end all determinant for what card they should buy but it plays a large factor along with Quake3 timedemo scores and now more importantly UT2K3 benchmarking scores.
Old 05-23-03, 01:51 PM   #148
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by curio
Indeed... Just look at most of the PC magazines you can buy in stores, they tend to rate cards on 3DMark alone, with maybe one or two other game benchmarks thrown in if you're lucky.
Old 05-23-03, 01:51 PM   #149
Moose
Cheating is for losers!!!

Default The Futuremark Matrix

NOT the way its meant to be played!!!
Old 05-23-03, 01:51 PM   #150
Blomman00

I'll wait for the new FX drivers, 24.1% speed increase guarantee

Time for Nvidia to get a new driver team,
they need to spend time on real driver optimizing, not this cheating bull****.

edit by StealthHawk: do not circumvent the swear filter.
Old 05-23-03, 01:53 PM   #151
evilangel

I don't know what the percentages are, if you do please post them. The people who love 3DMark i'm sure will say the percentage of people who use it is huge.

Alot of people will just use the games they play the most. A good tool that alot of people mention is FRAPS.
Old 05-23-03, 01:53 PM   #152
digitalwanderer

Is this something that people should contact the Better Business Bureau about here in the states, aren't they the ones who should be hassling nVidia about this?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]

Old 05-23-03, 01:54 PM   #153
Badboy_12345

Quote:
4. In game test 4, the water pixel shader (M_Water.psh) is detected. The driver uses this detection to artificially achieve a large performance boost - more than doubling the early
frame rate on some systems. In our inspection we noticed a difference in the rendering when compared either to the DirectX reference rasterizer or to those of other hardware. It appears
the water shader is being totally discarded and replaced with an alternative more efficient shader implemented in the drivers themselves. The drivers produce a similar looking rendering, but not an identical one.

5. In game test 4 there is detection of a pixel shader (m_HDRSky.psh). Again it appears the shader is being totally discarded and replaced with an alternative more efficient shader in a similar fashion to the water pixel shader above. The rendering looks similar, but it is not identical.
Why is this cheating?? I don't get it
If nvidia programmers are so smart so they found another way to produce THE SAME **** but more efficient then why is it a cheat??
Then they can do the same things in games... why would that be a cheat?
If the the graphics are lowered then its another story...
but if a human cant tell the difference then its not a cheat!
its called optimizing, scraping a god awful 3dmark code and doing a 100000000 times better one
Old 05-23-03, 01:56 PM   #154
curio
R3D Pimpin'

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon151
I'd venture to say that people don't use 3DMark as the end all determinant for what card they should buy but it plays a large factor along with Quake3 timedemo scores and now more importantly UT2K3 benchmarking scores.
ah, people like you and me (and 99% of the users on this board) don't use 3DMark as the final determinant - BUT - 99% of the people on this board don't constitute even close to a percentage of the people that buy video cards.

I feel safe in saying that the average joe out there doesn't know crap about vid cards, and if they ever did look at something, I'm sure they would notice the 3DMark that a card gets when they see it in a magazine.

The point being that I believe 3Dmark scores sway the average vid card buyer quite a bit. That doesn't hold true with the above average users around here, but above average users don't constitute even close to a majority of vid card buyers out there.
Old 05-23-03, 01:57 PM   #155
Clockwork
I was cured all right...

Quote:
Originally posted by Badboy_12345
Why is this cheating?? I don't get it
If nvidia programmers are so smart so they found another way to produce THE SAME **** but more efficient then why is it a cheat??
Then they can do the same things in games... why would that be a cheat?
If the the graphics are lowered then its another story...
but if a human cant tell the difference then its not a cheat!
its called optimizing, scraping a god awful 3dmark code and doing a 100000000 times better one
This has got to be a joke. April Fools!

Awww crap it's May.......

| AMD Athlon 64 3500+ | 1GB Corsair XMS Extreme Memory PC3200 DDR | GIGABYTE GA-K8NSNXP-939 nForce3 Ultra | WD 120GB SATA | BFG 6800GT OC w/ Zalman VF700cu | Pioneer DVR-A07XLA 8x DVD+-R/RW | Aopen 1640Pro-A 16x DVD | Cooler Master Cavalier 1 CAV-T01-WWA case | Ultra X-Connect 500watt psu | Windows XP Professional w/ SP2 |Samsung 193p+ 19" LCD
Old 05-23-03, 02:01 PM   #156
curio
R3D Pimpin'

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Is this something that people should contact the Better Business Bureau about here in the states, aren't they the ones who should be hassling nVidia about this?
That's what I would do. This is no different then enron giving false revenue reports to sway investors (although not even close to the same scale). nVidia and ati are giving false peformance information to sway buyers - and that should be illegal.

He who controls the information controls the truth. Tis sad...
Closed Thread