Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-03, 01:11 PM   #157
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by curio
That's what I would do. This is no different then enron giving false revenue reports to sway investors (although not even close to the same scale). nVidia and ati are giving false peformance information to sway buyers - and that should be illegal.

He who controls the information controls the truth. Tis sad...
Actually, this does sound like a good idea. The idea of someone suing someone over this is only worthy of a giggle, but if some pissed off FX owners contacted the BBB in the state that nVidia is in I bet the paperwork/beurocracy wouldn't be the only trouble they got into...

...I betcha it'd be worthy of a blurb on CNN/MSNBC then!
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 05-23-03, 01:12 PM   #158
EMunEeE
Me

Send a message via AIM to EMunEeE

Geee, I wonder how this news will affect nVIDIA stockholders?
ABIT AN8 Ultra (nForce4 Ultra) || AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ || 2GB OCZ Performance PC3200 DDR SDRAM || ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon X1800 XL 256MB || Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 || 120GB & 80GB Seagate HDs || Lite-On DVD Drive & DVD RW || Antec P160WF Case || Antec TruePower 2.0 430W PSU || Samsung 204T (20.1") & Hitachi CML174SX (17") LCDs

I'm black, I'm still sexy, my computer is now sexier though.
Old 05-23-03, 01:13 PM   #159
curio
R3D Pimpin'

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Actually, this does sound like a good idea. The idea of someone suing someone over this is only worthy of a giggle, but if some pissed off FX owners contacted the BBB in the state that nVidia is in I bet the paperwork/beurocracy wouldn't be the only trouble they got into...

...I betcha it'd be worthy of a blurb on CNN/MSNBC then!
Maybe they could hire Arthur Anderson to do their paper shredding *ahem*, I mean accounting...
Old 05-23-03, 01:14 PM   #160
chrismm28

I think nvidia have aspirations of being the Intel or Microsoft of the graphics world, I genuinely think they feel very threatened by ATI at the moment.
By the way I tested the new build on my 9800pro (with cat 3.4); my score went UP 20 marks. GT4 was only 0.1 %.... FASTER !
On the fx 5800 i have in another machine the score dropped 24.5 %.
Old 05-23-03, 01:15 PM   #161
CMav

What some people here fail to realize is that the degree of cheating (in this case, the percentages that ATI and Nvidia have gained) does not in any way negate the fact that they both did indeed cheat. It doesn't matter if it was a 1.8% gain or a 24% gain from driver cheats...they're both still cheats.

To me, the only real difference I see is that that the Nvidia crew is MUCH better at writing drivers than the ati folks. I'm not condoning cheating, just pointing out the obvious.
Old 05-23-03, 01:18 PM   #162
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

how does this topic get to 7 pages in 4hrs? I didn't read it, but I can guess it's all crap...
Old 05-23-03, 01:18 PM   #163
tamattack

Quote:
Originally posted by CMav
To me, the only real difference I see is that that the Nvidia crew is MUCH better at writing drivers than the ati folks.
Don't you mean that the Nvidia crew is MUCH better at writing cheating drivers than the ATI folks?
Old 05-23-03, 01:19 PM   #164
nin_fragile14
Fat Tuna

Quote:
What some people here fail to realize is that the degree of cheating (in this case, the percentages that ATI and Nvidia have gained) does not in any way negate the fact that they both did indeed cheat. It doesn't matter if it was a 1.8% gain or a 24% gain from driver cheats...they're both still cheats.

To me, the only real difference I see is that that the Nvidia crew is MUCH better at writing drivers than the ati folks. I'm not condoning cheating, just pointing out the obvious.
I don't think one company's ability to cheat over another's is at all indicitive of their "driver-writing" adeptness.

Old 05-23-03, 01:19 PM   #165
chrismm28

Quote:

Thats another funny post !!
Old 05-23-03, 01:19 PM   #166
curio
R3D Pimpin'

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
how does this topic get to 7 pages in 4hrs? I didn't read it, but I can guess it's all crap...
You should read through it - not as crappy as it might seem. Just make sure to skip the usual bs from some users... but that comes with the territory...
Old 05-23-03, 01:22 PM   #167
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
Pretty much. It got interesting early on when it was fast & furious, but it's sort of just starting to recycle all the new arguments.

I've decided to take on a real challenge and see how the truly devoted are justifying this one....'cause I just don't get it.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 05-23-03, 01:22 PM   #168
rokzy

Quote:

er... no.

ATI have not been proven to be cheating. nvidia have.

IF ATI have cheated by 1.9%, then that's bad, but you don't form an opinion of how good hardware is based on 1.9%. 24.1% (and some reporting even higher) is not just a quantitative lie, it implies a qualitative difference you'd expect from e.g. a new core, not just a driver improvement.
Closed Thread