Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-29-09, 04:39 PM   #1
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Excellent Kotaku Article on Motion Controls

http://kotaku.com/5303609/in-defense...sic-controller

I agree with this article almost completely... especially the part about feeling MORE disconnected from the game when using waggle controls.

The only person I know of really excited about Natal is my girlfriend, which says a lot about the aim of these devices. Same thing with Molyneux's pretend friend game.

Do we all fear where games are headed as much as I do?

Bonus scares: Halo: Reach will use Natal... http://kotaku.com/5303624/halo-odst-...use-natal-tech
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 05:42 PM   #2
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Default Re: Excellent Kotaku Article on Motion Controls

I dunno I kind of think the Wii-mote by itself is a big step forward because to me it basically comes off as sort of like a mouse. First person shooters would be great with it, only problem is that the Wii itself is a piece of ****. That's why I'm kind of looking forward to the PS3 ball on a stick.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 07:16 PM   #3
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Kotaku and excellent article together? WTF?

EDIT: Oh and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N View Post
I dunno I kind of think the Wii-mote by itself is a big step forward because to me it basically comes off as sort of like a mouse. First person shooters would be great with it, only problem is that the Wii itself is a piece of ****. That's why I'm kind of looking forward to the PS3 ball on a stick.
I disagree completely. Have you actually tried a FPS on the Wii? It is terrible. It is nothing like a mouse because a mouse keeps going and actually turns your body. With a wii controller that isn't the case. Look up some footage of The Conduit and tell me that looks intuitive to turn and aim and all of that. It doesn't it looks atrocious. The fact is the Wii took out a second analog which is pretty much needed in any FPS (or a mouse, obviously) and put it into a different type of scheme that just doesn't work. The Wii controller works good for: Cooking Mama and other gimmick games. The problem is the IR sensor. This is where I think Sony did their wand controller right, but I am NOT saying it will be good or good for FPS games, but it looks like a step in the right direction as far as being able to properly tell distance and where it is.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 10:55 PM   #4
Lfctony

I seriously hope they don't make motion controls the only way to play games... It will be an utter failure IMO...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 01:13 AM   #5
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
Kotaku and excellent article together? WTF?

EDIT: Oh and...

I disagree completely. Have you actually tried a FPS on the Wii? It is terrible. It is nothing like a mouse because a mouse keeps going and actually turns your body. With a wii controller that isn't the case. Look up some footage of The Conduit and tell me that looks intuitive to turn and aim and all of that. It doesn't it looks atrocious. The fact is the Wii took out a second analog which is pretty much needed in any FPS (or a mouse, obviously) and put it into a different type of scheme that just doesn't work. The Wii controller works good for: Cooking Mama and other gimmick games. The problem is the IR sensor. This is where I think Sony did their wand controller right, but I am NOT saying it will be good or good for FPS games, but it looks like a step in the right direction as far as being able to properly tell distance and where it is.
I thought Medal or Honor was done well. You move with the stick and look with the motion sensor which also has the action buttons. Probably the closest I have seen a console FPS match the smoothness of PC KB/M. Also tradition PC point and click games feel very natural on it. So in my view its all about proper implementation and if PS3 or 360 had a wand as the default control all those FPS would control better and akin to PC controls.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 01:47 AM   #6
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N View Post
I thought Medal or Honor was done well. You move with the stick and look with the motion sensor which also has the action buttons. Probably the closest I have seen a console FPS match the smoothness of PC KB/M. Also tradition PC point and click games feel very natural on it. So in my view its all about proper implementation and if PS3 or 360 had a wand as the default control all those FPS would control better and akin to PC controls.
I haven't played Medal of Honor but how does the turning actually work? Because from what I have seen and played on the Wii, usually the pointing only aim's the gun and could slowly turn the view a LITTLE bit. But I there is no way to do a 180 quickly from what I have seen myself. This is why a mouse is vastly superior. Run out of room for your mouse? Simply lift it up and move it to the other side and continue your circling journey. With a wii mote how would you mimic this? As soon as you turn the end to the other side it would just turn your view back.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 04:55 AM   #7
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

I thouht Metroid Prime 3 controlled in a cool way, but it was far from an FPS, really... I would not want to control all FPS games like that by a long shot.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 07-06-09, 02:35 PM   #8
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
I haven't played Medal of Honor but how does the turning actually work? Because from what I have seen and played on the Wii, usually the pointing only aim's the gun and could slowly turn the view a LITTLE bit. But I there is no way to do a 180 quickly from what I have seen myself. This is why a mouse is vastly superior. Run out of room for your mouse? Simply lift it up and move it to the other side and continue your circling journey. With a wii mote how would you mimic this? As soon as you turn the end to the other side it would just turn your view back.
I don't think it is anywhere close to KB/M, but IMHO it's still much better than dual analog. I avoid playing console shooters because I just can't get comfortable with dual analog, but even though I still prefer KB/M I can play Wii shooters without wanting to throw the controller across the room. People who like dual analog might disagree, but for me there's no contest.

Also, in later shooters on Wii the controls are completely customizable. If you have a steady hand you can set it so that you turn ridiculously fast before you even hit the edge of the screen. Again, still not as good as a mouse, but it helps.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-09, 11:42 PM   #9
Zelda_fan

I feel the exact opposite.

When it's done right, the controls for the Wii are amazing. Metroid 3, Mario Galaxy, and Zelda TP felt very very good. Much better than a controller or M/KBD imho. On the other hand, if it's poorly done, I imagine it would be terrible.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 06:13 AM   #10
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

If the Wii required you to play Zelda with a string and ball attached to a paddle, Zelda_Fan would still praise it.

Old 07-07-09, 08:05 AM   #11
Buio

One interesting thing with Natal is that it could use both the motion control and the gamepad, as it doesn't rely on another hand-held device. This could open for at least some light implementations, where you control most of the game with the gamepad, but Natal brings some extra immersion. I don't know if they plan anything for this, but at least it is a possibility.
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 10:13 AM   #12
nemecb

1:1 teabagging. Sweet!
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote