Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-12-08, 06:50 AM   #1
csbac

Default GeForce 8300: up to 5 secs hang on focus change with firefox and video

Hi!
When browsing and playing a video at the same time, soon, performance decreases heavily.
Especially when switching focus, video sometimes hangs for seconds(!).

My system:
ASUS M3N-H/HDMI, GeForce 8300 mGPU, PhenomX4 9750 2.5GHz, 4 GB RAM DDR2-800
opensuse 11.0 x86_64
NVidia driver 173.14.05, 173.14.12, 177.80
Screen size 1400x1050, DVI
KDE3, no compiz.

Situation:
Browsing firefox 3, especially with a certain web game (http://www.travianer.de) which heavily relies on AJAX, animated images, overlays, etc., but no flash/java. At the same time, a video is played in (s)mplayer with xv output driver. Video is not large (512x384), Divx5.
When switching the focus between browser and video, the screen hangs. Initially, only a very short time; after some repetitions, video starts hanging for several seconds on each focus switch. Situation worsens when another application with complex GUI (e.g., openoffice 3) is open on the same screen.
Problem occurs with various versions of nvidia driver - opensuse rpm 173.14.12/05, nvidia downloads 173.14.xx, 177.7x, 177.80.
I also tried all the steps from http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118088, to no avail. Behaviour unchanged.
The situation improves when using compiz on aiglx, but does not completely resolve.

Due to meagre size of video, computing power and free RAM, I am sure this is not a video decoding problem. I rather guess it is caused by firefox using (x)render acceleration (via cairo) conflicting with the video display, and possibly other accelerated applications.

I tried to reproduce the problem with a much older nvidia graphics and same driver. I was surprised to find that the problem did not appear there.
NVidia 6150 on-board graphics, gentoo i386, 173.14.12.

Fact is, using the VESA driver, the performance in this situation is far better, even though it is necessary to use the non-accelerated x11 driver for mplayer. This, of course, produces other serious performance issues ...

In my opinion, there is serious driver flaw in my setup - I did not report it before because I believed other people to be affected. This seems not to be the case, though. Currently, I'm thinking about purchasing a cheap graphics card - either nvidia, or a different manufacturer. If even an GeForce6 series chip is better ...

Hope it will be possible to improve this,
Sebastian
Old 11-12-08, 12:01 PM   #2
csbac

Default Re: GeForce 8300: up to 5 secs hang on focus change with firefox and video

Replying to myself ...
Just got a 6600 ... works w/o a glitch ... no change in os/driver configuration whatever.
so, obviously, the problem is either with the mGPU 8300 driver communication, or its hardware design ...
Keep up the good work, nvidia!
Sebastian
Old 07-06-09, 02:33 AM   #3
csbac

Default Re: GeForce 8300: up to 5 secs hang on focus change with firefox and video

Seems the situation improved with the 185 driver series.
At least, the hang is less regular, and only concerns a single window - may also be a different cause/case, I'm not sure.
Sebastian
Old 07-06-09, 07:58 AM   #4
udippel

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbac View Post
Using GeForce 6600 b/c 8300/Linux as good as unsupported by nvidia.
That's not the worst part. I am one of those with 8300 as well, and it is simply crappy.
No, what actually is the greatest c*** of all: nvidia doesn't support 8*00 IGP; but neither do 'nv', the open source driver, nor that other one, 'nouveau'.
So the only stable display is with vesa!
udippel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 08:06 AM   #5
csbac

Quote:
Originally Posted by udippel View Post
That's not the worst part. I am one of those with 8300 as well, and it is simply crappy.
No, what actually is the greatest c*** of all: nvidia doesn't support 8*00 IGP; but neither do 'nv', the open source driver, nor that other one, 'nouveau'.
So the only stable display is with vesa!
Yep, but nouveau is working on it ...
http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18286

The non-accelerated nouveau should already work, shouldn't it? It's just framebuffer, no better than VESA, though ...

Get another card ... GF7x is 20, 8x 30 at ebay ;-)
Sebastian
Old 07-07-09, 02:43 AM   #6
udippel

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbac View Post
Yep, but nouveau is working on it ...
http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18286

The non-accelerated nouveau should already work, shouldn't it? It's just framebuffer, no better than VESA, though ...

Get another card ... GF7x is 20, 8x 30 at ebay ;-)
Sebastian
See my post in the nouveau list. Black it is, all black, the content.

No, using another card is nogo, because I explicitly bought it for energy saving purposes. And that other graphics card is exactly what I didn't want.
And this is exactly why I feel cheated by Asus and Nvidia. In 2009, the argument "but it is Linux" doesn't cut it any longer.
Old 07-07-09, 09:24 AM   #7
gerbenr

I don't know why you think the GF 8300 is unsupported, mine actually is, with the 185 series driver. It works fine, I can even view 1080p h264 movies with my CPU at 1800 MHz, using the vdpau-enabled mplayer.

System: Asus M3N78-EM (GF 8300 onboard), Athlon 4850e, 2GB mem, Ubuntu 8.10 x86_64, Avenard's Mythtv.
gerbenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 09:49 AM   #8
udippel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbenr View Post
I don't know why you think the GF 8300 is unsupported, mine actually is, with the 185 series driver. It works fine, I can even view 1080p h264 movies with my CPU at 1800 MHz, using the vdpau-enabled mplayer.

System: Asus M3N78-EM (GF 8300 onboard), Athlon 4850e, 2GB mem, Ubuntu 8.10 x86_64, Avenard's Mythtv.
Just make a search and you'll find that you're the only one who has a rock-solid experience with 8300. Or did you just want to say "It is supported"? Yes, it is. Though anything but solid. If I were the only one, I'd blame myself. But there are many threads, including this same one, that proves you wrong.

Old 07-07-09, 12:41 PM   #9
gerbenr

Quote:
Originally Posted by udippel View Post
Just make a search and you'll find that you're the only one who has a rock-solid experience with 8300. Or did you just want to say "It is supported"? Yes, it is. Though anything but solid. If I were the only one, I'd blame myself. But there are many threads, including this same one, that proves you wrong.
I see that there are lots of problems with the M3N78 Pro and at least one with the M3N-H/HDMI. As for the Pro, it apparently needs a lot of tweaking and changing stuff in the BIOS to get it working a bit. Maybe it's the same with the -H/HDMI?

Maybe it's just that, a bad design by Asus on these versions while the -EM version works fine. Seen plenty of others who are quite happy with their M3N78-EM with Linux. I've even sold a few -EM boards with Phenom II X4's, RHEL5 to a few customers who up till now don't have any problems (although I had to compile a newer kernel than RHEL's because of the apparently too-new AHCI controller). I definitely will stay away from the Pro version, that much is clear!

I wouldn't blame it on the 8300 GPU though, more on Asus.
gerbenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 09:44 PM   #10
udippel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbenr View Post
Maybe it's just that, a bad design by Asus on these versions while the -EM version works fine. Seen plenty of others who are quite happy with their M3N78-EM with Linux. I've even sold a few -EM boards with Phenom II X4's, RHEL5 to a few customers who up till now don't have any problems (although I had to compile a newer kernel than RHEL's because of the apparently too-new AHCI controller). I definitely will stay away from the Pro version, that much is clear!

I wouldn't blame it on the 8300 GPU though, more on Asus.
Nevermind. But Asus is not willing to swap the board (and I paid extra for the higher grade 'PRO'), not all countries enjoy the same legal framework so that I could force the dealer to refund it. In a nutshell, I'm stuck with an unstable board. Asus shrugs their shoulders, saying "You've been a dumbtard to buy it - Thanks for the business anyway", and Nvidia couldn't care (to thoroughly investigate; finally the negative feelings will fall back to them).
Not good after all.
I wished Intel had a chipset IGP supporting AMD CPUs.