Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-27-03, 07:01 PM   #121
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Behemoth
nvidia did it not that bad, i havent heard anyone spotted the difference before futuremark
the problem is futuremark is testing the general baseline PS2 performance, not testing how fast PS2 precision sky and water shaders can go with all sorts of scene specific optimizations. who knows if there are 99% of PS2 shaders ati cant even optimize by "shuffle instructions".
You're not looking hard enough then. I've provided that evidence before.

Discussion. Look for the screenshot comparing driver 43.00 and driver 43.51. 43.51 is one of the drivers which have been proven to rewrite shader code and lower IQ. Keep in mind this was discovered before the ET article about the 44.03 drivers.
Old 05-27-03, 11:20 PM   #122
Behemoth
radeon 9800 pro

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
You're not looking hard enough then. I've provided that evidence before.

Discussion. Look for the screenshot comparing driver 43.00 and driver 43.51. 43.51 is one of the drivers which have been proven to rewrite shader code and lower IQ. Keep in mind this was discovered before the ET article about the 44.03 drivers.
hmm, i have seen the GT4 water myself, it looks very natural and pretty.
yes the water looks pixelated when you freeze it and blow it up 3 times bigger, when its in action it just looks pretty pretty, not bad at all, of coz maybe its just me.

Last edited by Behemoth; 05-28-03 at 12:54 AM.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-03, 12:43 AM   #123
Behemoth
radeon 9800 pro

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
You keep saying this and it doesn't make an inkling of sense to me. We already know that ATI detects 3dmark03 and then optimized the shader routines in GT4. The sky shader and water shader optimizations only work in those specific situations. Of course they do, they are specific programs. How and why would they work anywhere else?

It's like saying that an optimization for Quake3 should work in UT2003, when they are different programs.
simply put, if futuremark let ati keeps this kind of hard coded helped optimization, its not a cheat.
Old 05-28-03, 01:25 AM   #124
digitalwanderer

Quote:
hmm, i have seen the GT4 water myself, it looks very natural and pretty.
yes the water looks pixelated when you freeze it and blow it up 3 times bigger, when its in action it just looks pretty pretty, not bad at all, of coz maybe its just me.

Glad to hear it looks the same to you, but that is a subjective opinion.

The 3x magnification allows a much more objective opinion as you can clearly see the difference....and the fact that there IS a difference, even if it isn't visible to you, is the whole point that everyone is trying to get thru to ya.

The point is there is an easy-to-tell difference between the two, even if you have to magnify a frozen snapshot 3x to see it clearly.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-03, 02:09 AM   #125
Behemoth
radeon 9800 pro

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Glad to hear it looks the same to you, but that is a subjective opinion.

The 3x magnification allows a much more objective opinion as you can clearly see the difference....and the fact that there IS a difference, even if it isn't visible to you, is the whole point that everyone is trying to get thru to ya.

The point is there is an easy-to-tell difference between the two, even if you have to magnify a frozen snapshot 3x to see it clearly.
yep it is my subjective opinion that the water looks not bad at all in action to me.
i will have to freeze it and zoom in 300% to make it noticeable to me.
Old 05-28-03, 02:18 AM   #126
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
yep it is my subjective opinion that the water looks not bad at all in action to me.
i will have to freeze it and zoom in 300% to make it noticeable to me.
you will have to freeze and zoom to see what is happening which is that the scene is NOT being rendered as it is intended... ie the workload is reduced...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-03, 02:25 AM   #127
Behemoth
radeon 9800 pro

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
you will have to freeze and zoom to see what is happening which is that the scene is NOT being rendered as it is intended... ie the workload is reduced...
perhaps we can say, this is the IHV optimization design, like some IHV AF implementations choose to reduce IQ at some angles for speed
but i have to say, i appreciate the ati's optimization better.
Old 05-28-03, 02:26 AM   #128
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
perhaps we can say, this is the IHV optimization design, like some IHV AF implementations choose to reduce IQ at some angles for speed
but i have to say, i appreciate the ati's optimization better.
we are still discussing 3dmark03 right ?

Old 05-28-03, 02:32 AM   #129
Behemoth
radeon 9800 pro

Quote:
we are still discussing 3dmark03 right ?
yeah i was talking about the 3DMark's GT4 water shader optimization design.
Old 05-28-03, 02:34 AM   #130
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
yeah i was talking about the 3DMark's GT4 water shader optimization design.
yah I got a bit lost with the talk on angles... didn't know if that had anything to do with 3dmark03...

suppose we let this topic rest till nvidia decides to provide a public response ?

then we will have new material to discuss eh ?

cheers m8
Old 05-28-03, 08:41 AM   #131
digitalwanderer

Quote:
suppose we let this topic rest till nvidia decides to provide a public response ?
No offense intended to you here Sazar, but if we "let this rest till nvidia decides to provide a public response" we're likely to never GET a public response.

Do you REALLY think nVidia wants to explain this? Or do you think they hope we'll just all go away?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote