Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-23-03, 06:57 PM   #13
micron

Send a message via MSN to micron

Quote:
Originally posted by reever2
Hard will probably, but Brent has said Kyle doesnt need an apology since everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Anand and Tom probably wont, since they seem to act as if this thing never happened, the extremetech article was never mentioned on both of their sites
Tom and Anand WILL adress this, though probably not in the way in which I would like.
HIS X1900GT IceQ 3 @700/1600 1.45v
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-03, 07:03 PM   #14
rellingsen

Kyle (HardOCP) sure seems to take shots at Futuremark when ever they can. That bit with ExtremeTech being mad over not getting the Doom benches was just plain stupid. I personally think they did the community a great service by exposing the problems. At least they did not stoop to his level and publish something like.....
Rumor has it that he is very upset with Futuremark for not being chosen as a Select Beta Partner and has a axe to grind.

It just too easy to publish crap.
SB Audigy 2-Klipsch Pro-Medias 4.1
22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
2-ATA 100 7200 rpm WD Drives
rellingsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-03, 07:11 PM   #15
micron

Send a message via MSN to micron

This little thread http://www.community.tomshardware.co...collapsed&sb=5 just showed up on the Tom's forum. It states that Tom & Lars are hard at work evaluating the situation. I'm glad to see some action out of them.
HIS X1900GT IceQ 3 @700/1600 1.45v
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-03, 07:15 PM   #16
Grrrpoop
Wey aye man!

Quote:
Originally posted by OICAspork
LOL, I wish I'd seen that [H]ard thing before it was pulled... is it still up and reworded? If so, please link to it... o.o; I didn't see it myself...
No, it got reworded and is gone now, but from memory it was something like the following:

Quote:
Posted by Steve 10:50 AM (CDT)
3DMark Patch:
Futuremark has released a patch for 3DMark 2003 that eliminates "artificially high scores" for people using NVIDIA Detonator FX drivers. This is in response to the news item we posted last week ( as did several sites ). This goes to show that 3Dmark is completely irrelevant as a benchmark as we stated.

Thanks to everyone who sent this one in.

Recently, there have been questions and some confusion regarding 3DMark®03 results obtained with certain NVIDIA drivers. We have now established that NVIDIA’s Detonator FX drivers contain certain detection mechanisms that cause an artificially high score when using 3DMark®03. We have just published a patch 330 for 3DMark03 that defeats the detection mechanisms in the drivers and provides correct results.
My paraphrasing is a little off, but I think I got the tone spot-on..

Kyle's frontpage character-assassination of ET was low, they deserve an apology but I doubt he 'll do the right thing.

Only guy from [H] who's commented with any credibility is Brent, he seems like a cool guy (and he has a superhero name - Brent Justice)

I'm sure that in Kyle's head he's still thinking "well if you can't see it, it's just an optimisation.."
Old 05-23-03, 07:38 PM   #17
OICAspork

Send a message via AIM to OICAspork

Quote:
Originally posted by micron
This little thread http://www.community.tomshardware.co...collapsed&sb=5 just showed up on the Tom's forum. It states that Tom & Lars are hard at work evaluating the situation. I'm glad to see some action out of them.
Heh, I came back here to post that link (^_- you'll notice I was one of the first... and unfortunately currently few... to post in that thread), but you beat me too it.

Also... replying to an earlier entry... Kyle doesn't have to apologize... but he damned well should... his post wasn't merely an opinion, it was mud-slinging that lacked any journalistic integrity.
OICAspork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-03, 08:18 PM   #18
5150 Joker
100% Certified nVidiot

Default Re: Re: Will Tom's, Anand, [H], etc... run with this story...

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon151
HardOCP had said something along the lines of Futuremark accuses Nvidia of cheating and then next commented that this only proves to invalidate the end complete 3DMark03 score. They have since removed that news post though. Probably came under fire from people asking why they said nothing on behalf of Nvidia and then made a cheap shot at Futuremark .

I don't understand why ANYONE even takes HardOCP seriously anymore. They've been caught with the whole intel lie, accusing other sites of having ulterior motives and now defending nVidia's cheats. The site is complete sell-out garbage.

Desktop: DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR | AMD64 3000+@2.6ghz | Leadtek 7800 GTX | 2 GB Crucial PC3200 | 2x120 GB 8mb WD | Dell 2005FPW 20" LCD | Antec "TrueControl" v2 550w PSU | Lian Li PC75 modded case with H20 Cooling

Laptop: XPS Gen 2 | Samsung LCD | P-M 2.13 | nVidia 6800 Go Ultra | 2 GB DDR2 | 60GB 7200RPM HD | 8x DVD-RW/CD-RW| Dell Wireless 1450 a/b/g | Windows XP Home | 3 Yr Warranty/Complete Care.
5150 Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-03, 08:24 PM   #19
c4c

Hm

Seems to me that Anand and Tom tend to stay out of this sort of commentary type situation. Whereas the guy from HardOCP tends to open his big mouth about everything

I imagine the first thing we hear on this from either site will be in some kind of review/test situation. Basically these sites provide content, not random commentary. Since I'm sure neither of them are in the Beta Test program, they don't have much to bring to the table until they can run other kinds of tests.
c4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-03, 08:51 PM   #20
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally posted by vampireuk
I'm kind of curious as to why Rage have not posted about the ati "cheating" bit...
you already know the answer
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-03, 09:36 PM   #21
Hellbinder

Quote:
I'm kind of curious as to why Rage have not posted about the ati "cheating" bit...
thats really funny..

Becuase what ATi did, was not Cheating. What Nvidia Did WAS cheating. Application detection is not wrong. Its what you DO with the application detection. In fact if all NVidia did was Reorder a few Shader instruction while changing nothing else then they would be Guilty of nothing But *OPTIMIZING* as well.

Ultimately if you want to call ATi cheaters to thats fine. But i find it LAUGHABLE that you peope want to FOCUS on 1.9% score change V.s a 24% change. Here is a scripture for you.

Do not worry about the *Splinter* in your brothers eye, when you have a *PLANK* in your own eye. Remove the *PLANK* from your eye, then you will see clearly to remove the *Splinter* from your brothers eye.

Further, Rage DID post the article on the front page and link to it. Its there for anyone to read, and the whole issue INCLUDING what ATi did is being discussed on the forums. And its one hell of a lot more technical and accurate than the Discussions here.

Many of the people at this site have completely lost any sembelance of reality, logic, or common sense.
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-03, 09:42 PM   #22
The Baron

I don't want to focus on the 1.9%, I want to focus on the 8% drop in GT4. That seems somewhat damning to me.

And... because I just can't resist:
Quote:
Many of the people at this site have completely lost any sembelance of reality, logic, or common sense.
And maybe you've lost any sembelance of the English language?
Old 05-23-03, 10:15 PM   #23
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Guys, as I said Rage3D was slashdotted today, newsposters could not access the page most of the time, let alone update with content. So no need to draw nasty conclusions about it... it's plain and simple.
Old 05-23-03, 10:19 PM   #24
Ratchet
The Tool

Send a message via ICQ to Ratchet Send a message via MSN to Ratchet

Quote:
Originally posted by vampireuk
Because our server got /.ed today after the Dawn on R3x0 article we posted. I'm sure one of the news guys will have the Futuremark paragraph up there, along with ATIs official response (something else we were waiting on apparently).
Ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote