Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-03-08, 05:38 PM   #229
Stephen Warren

Default Re: mplayer vdpau

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamorjames View Post
Stephen:
It is fixed besides stuttering. It seems I was using an old VDPAU patch.
Yes, that makes perfect sense, given it's an MKV file.

Quote:
EDIT: What information can I give you to fix the stuttering?
I believe this is a known issue. We already have clips that reproduce this problem and are working on it. I don't think we need anything from you, unless we say the issue is fixed in some future release, and you still see the problem then.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 05:45 PM   #230
iamlindoro

Hi Stephen,

Thanks so much for being so available on the forum to answer all these questions-- thought you might want to take a look at this:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/19227/

It's a small tweak to libavcodec to fix rendering issues with MPEG-2 material. I know that some of us have seen it with mplayer as well, so this may help for the next patch set.

Now, if I might, a quick question for myself. I have the new ASUS P5N7A-VM 9300 IGP board. I have had no luck whatsoever getting any sort of VC-1 acceleration with this board. I may have misunderstood the original compatibility list, but should I be getting VC1 with this board? If not, perhaps it's just a small issue with the driver?

Thanks!
iamlindoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 06:37 PM   #231
Stephen Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlindoro View Post
Thanks so much for being so available on the forum to answer all these questions-- thought you might want to take a look at this:
Sure thing; it helps us to know what problems people are seeing.

Quote:
Yes, we've just incorporated this into our patches. Thanks.

Quote:
Now, if I might, a quick question for myself. I have the new ASUS P5N7A-VM 9300 IGP board. I have had no luck whatsoever getting any sort of VC-1 acceleration with this board. I may have misunderstood the original compatibility list, but should I be getting VC1 with this board? If not, perhaps it's just a small issue with the driver?
I *think* that should work, although sometimes it's hard to tell given the way marketing names work. If you get error 14 (VDP_STATUS_INVALID_DECODER_PROFILE) when creating the decoder object, it's not valid HW, otherwise it most likely is.

Anyway, a number of people have apparently been having problems on systems using 256M graphics RAM (not system RAM). On an IGP board, there may be a BIOS option to bump the video RAM size up to 512M, which might help you.

Otherwise, please follow the VDPAU debug instructions in the sticky, and we should be able to tell what the problem is from the debug spew.
Old 12-03-08, 06:58 PM   #232
iamlindoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
I *think* that should work, although sometimes it's hard to tell given the way marketing names work. If you get error 14 (VDP_STATUS_INVALID_DECODER_PROFILE) when creating the decoder object, it's not valid HW, otherwise it most likely is.
Stephen,

Thanks. It is indeed the dreaded error 14. I had bought the motherboard hoping to get offload of VC-1, but that's just the way the cards fall sometimes. Perhaps (if the IGP variety of the 9300 allows it) I'll see hardware offload of VC-1 at some point in the future. Anyway, at this point it's a non-expanding group of my titles (stuff I pulled off of my HD-DVDs) and all the new stuff is generally profile 4.1 h.264 from my blu-ray disks. So, no worries, I'm awfully satisfied with VDPAU so far and if the VC-1 accel comes, it comes. Thanks for your time.
iamlindoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 02:13 AM   #233
Senor Hubris

Never mind about the below. I had Composite turned off in my xorg.conf.

I have an nVidia 8400GS (256M). I used the mplayer-vdpau-3139462 package to build a VDPAU patched mplayer. This is an Ubuntu Hardy system.

I installed the 180.11 driver and then compiled mplayer.

I then attempt to play an mpeg2 file. I get great sound but the image is a green screen. Below is attached
the output of mplayer with the VDPAU_NVIDIA_DEBUG (etc...) set as instructed in the sticky. Also an nvidia-bug-report.log. The mpeg file I was attempting to play is the mpeg file linked to by the README.txt file in the mplayer-vdpau-3139462 package.

Also, if i use -vc ffmpeg12 instead of -vc ffmpeg12vdpau I *still* get a green screen when using the compiled mplayer. My system installed mplayer works just fine (but without VDPAU of course).

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: log mplayer.out.log (50.8 KB, 128 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (47.1 KB, 118 views)
Senor Hubris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 02:46 AM   #234
mikerussellnz

2 DVB-T files one plays but jumpy, the other plays at 50% speed.

http://www.2shared.com/file/4392717/7c1a7107/video.html
http://www.2shared.com/file/4392722/...4b/video1.html
mikerussellnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 06:42 PM   #235
Stephen Warren

Good news: The next driver release will fix the H.264 reference frame limits. We will support level 4.1 (or very close to it) in all cases[1]. The decision of how many reference frames to actually allocate is up to the client application (a minor VDPAU API change). We'll naturally release updated MPlayer patches to go with this change.

[1] Some very unusual resolutions on some subset of GPUs will end up supporting 1 less reference frame than full 4.1 conformance requires. In practice, you're quite unlikely to spot this limitation in the field. Fixing this will take some more work, although it may happen eventually.
Old 12-04-08, 07:00 PM   #236
theuni

Stephen-

Thanks to you and the nvidia team for listening to our nags and requests.

I realize that this initially was not a priority at all, so I appreciate you listening to what it is that the users actually want and making it happen.

TheUni
theuni is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-08, 07:43 PM   #237
mitchell2345

yes this is good. Ill keep checking back to see when the new driver is updated.

Stephen, if you dont mind me asking what is the projected timeline for this driver to come out of beta? Are you on a project plan or is it done when its done?

Just curious.

Mitchell
mitchell2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 01:06 AM   #238
Stephen Warren

I really can't comment on driver release schedules. Don't worry, I imagine it won't be too long of a wait though.
Old 12-05-08, 03:49 AM   #239
Gregoire.Favre

Great new to have hope again, thanks :-)
Gregoire.Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 06:49 PM   #240
scowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
Good news: The next driver release will fix the H.264 reference frame limits. We will support level 4.1 (or very close to it) in all cases[1]. The decision of how many reference frames to actually allocate is up to the client application (a minor VDPAU API change).
This is wonderful. I know lots of us would have been regularly hitting that limitation.
scowl is offline   Reply With Quote