Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-12-08, 05:46 PM   #265
Stephen Warren

Default Re: mplayer vdpau

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux View Post
should we still post bug reports concerning 256MB cards or is it not on your priority list at the moment ?
Yes, we're still interested.

In general, we're interested in fixing everything. In practical terms, we're working on the problems that are less obviously fixed than simply running out of RAM first.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 08:37 AM   #266
weltall

I have a question is vdpau supposed to not work while 2 xscreens are being used? (separate xscreens without xinerama) or it's a problem of available vram (i've only 256mb)? or it's something unknown?

If i try to use mplayer-vdpau with two active xscreens on the same video card (an NVIDIA 8600MGT 256MB MXM2) i get only a green screen. while if i restart xserver (not even the os) with the second monitor disconnected (so this avoids setting it up entirely) i can play the same video perfectly
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (40.3 KB, 95 views)
weltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 09:02 AM   #267
Big P

Glad to see with the new BETA 180.16, and the updated mplayer patches, all my h264 movies now play without green screens Although the output is a bit choppy, which I take it is a known problem.
Big P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 09:14 AM   #268
jyavenard
MythTV developer

I have updated my Ubuntu packages with the new patches...

Playback is very choppy.. barely watchable as-is.. Good news is that I haven't found one video that the new mplayer didn't play (except VC1 videos of course provided I'm using a 9400GT card).

Keep up the good work nvidia !
Packaged are available there:
http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos/

To get your favourite installer to automatically use them:
add to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos files/
deb-src http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos files/
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 02:30 PM   #269
Stephen Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltall View Post
I have a question is VDPAU supposed to not work while 2 X screens are being used? (separate X screens without xinerama) or it's a problem of available vram (i've only 256mb)? or it's something unknown?
This should work fine. VDPAU should work on either screen in this case. However, I'm aware of an issue that may affect this configuration. Could you perform a couple of experiments to validate that you're experiencing this issue:

1)

Without changing anything else, run the following command and then run MPlayer again:

Code:
export VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1
2)

Edit your xorg.conf and swap the assignment of physical displays to X screen numbers. Restart X and re-run MPlayer.

I suspect one/both of these will solve your issue.
Old 12-13-08, 02:32 PM   #270
Stephen Warren

@Big P, @jyavenard,

In both your cases, I assume the choppiness you're seeing looks like: All the frames appear to be decoded correctly, it's just they're displayed out of order, so objects appear to jump back/forth as they move. If so, then yes, it's a known issue that we /hope/ to address soon.
Old 12-13-08, 02:42 PM   #271
josevillavi85

Smile Re: mplayer vdpau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
@Big P, @jyavenard,

In both your cases, I assume the choppiness you're seeing looks like: All the frames appear to be decoded correctly, it's just they're displayed out of order, so objects appear to jump back/forth as they move. If so, then yes, it's a known issue that we /hope/ to address soon.
I am having the same issue with those frames, nice to read it is a known issue
By the way, there are some matroska videos i cant play with vdpau (i think those are vc1). i am using an 8400GT and a 3.0 Ghz core 2 duo.

But most of the videos i have in .mkv are now playable.. some corruption on a .m2ts file (the video quit some times).
josevillavi85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 11:28 PM   #272
Drako60

I'm also getting the Assertion 0 Failed, this is happening in only one video so far that i've found.

the video is mp4, h264, aac,

http://pastebin.com/m3be3d88c there is the output of the trace.

I'll add that 60FPS h.264 video (at least the one i have) is really bad when it comes to a fair amount of movement, but at least i can watch it without it stuttering, pausing, a lot of skipped and drop frames, I believe this could be a memory issue as I have the 8600 GT 256kb ram, running dual screens.

One question, Is there any deinterlacing currently available in the mplayer patches, and how it can be access?
Drako60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-08, 12:02 AM   #273
Stephen Warren

Our MPlayer patches don't currently incorporate any de-interlacing. The MythTV VDPAU integration does though, so you can try it out there.
Old 12-14-08, 12:14 AM   #274
Drako60

I didn't expect that it would support deinterlacing yet, and i only use Mythtv rarely, it makes it hard to enjoy dvds, since I use my computer and mplayer almost exclusively, ah well software decoding works just as well for dvds.
Drako60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 01:48 AM   #275
LauriM

Is tearing with -vo vdpau (with or without using a vdpau codec) a known issue or should I report a bug?

I'm looking forward to using VDPAU for video output (even without hardware decoding) as it looks like it should be easy to support different color spaces and high quality deinterlacing.
LauriM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 02:17 AM   #276
weltall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
This should work fine. VDPAU should work on either screen in this case. However, I'm aware of an issue that may affect this configuration. Could you perform a couple of experiments to validate that you're experiencing this issue:

1)

Without changing anything else, run the following command and then run MPlayer again:

Code:
export VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1
2)

Edit your xorg.conf and swap the assignment of physical displays to X screen numbers. Restart X and re-run MPlayer.

I suspect one/both of these will solve your issue.
yes the first thing fixes it. also i've noticed that this happens only if the monitor is physically connected to the computer. even If it's logically connected (xorg thinks there is one so when i plug the cord it shows immediately the image without reboot) as soon as i disconnect it from the plug the video starts working again, as soon as i connect it again it become green again (this only when i start the playback if it has already started then it doesn't start to output the video or show a green display from that instant)

I will check for the second solution.

Another little question i can see from 180.16 that vc1 wmv3 playback was fixed in some gpus: it's still based on the precedently released list or it means it allowed also other gpu to work with them?
weltall is offline   Reply With Quote