Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-18-08, 11:36 AM   #325
iamlindoro

Default Re: mplayer vdpau

Hi Stephen,

I wanted to continue to thank you for nVidia's hard and prompt work on this. It's easy to see that people at nVidia are just as excited about this feature as we in the community are, judging from the rapid pace of updates and great communication with the public. So thanks.

I wonder (if corporate policy allows) if you could address the vsync-with-compositing-enabled issue and talk a bit about it. For those who haven't realized it yet, vsync to blank is enabled in VDPAU when compositing is disabled, but disabled when compositing is enabled (whew, a mouthful!). For people who are exclusively watching films, this is a non-issue. I have a tendency to alt-tab between TV, IRC, and web browsing, so compositing is essential for me as without it, VDPAU "loses" the playback surface and alt-tabbing back results in a black screen. With compositing enabled, I can alt-tab but without vsync, there are the obvious tearing issues.

Any notion of whether vsync with compositing enabled is in the near future, and if not, can you explain a bit about the technical difficulties in achieving this?
iamlindoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-08, 01:10 PM   #326
Stephen Warren

@iamlindoro,

Simply put, VDPAU uses one of two mechanisms for getting content onto the display:

* Overlay. Always sync'd to VSYNC. Used if possible
* Blitting. Never sync'd to VSYNC. Used as fallback.

We fall back to blitting if:
* Overlay already used by another app
* X composite extension enabled (even if it's not being actively used, i.e. compiz/... not running)
* SLI active
* Desktop rotation active

In a future driver release, we hope to:
* Remove some of the cases that fall back to blitting, so we use the overlay more
* Fix the blit case to sync to vblank (after all, both GL and Xv do it)

I can't say when any of the above will happen; it'll be a while out yet as we attempt to solve all the basic decode issues for everybody first.

Re: Your specific reason of requiring composite. This is a bug. Which application are you using? What desktop environment etc. Can you generate an nvidia-bug-report (see stickies). It sounds like in the overlay case, your color key isn't being painted when the window is re-exposed. I'll see if we can repro this.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-08, 01:54 PM   #327
rapsure

Are there updated vdpau patches for mplayer? I can't get the original patches to compile against the new nvidia 180.16 driver. If so I'd like to know where to get them.
rapsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-08, 01:57 PM   #328
Stephen Warren

@rapsure,

Yes, grab the latest patches from the same place as before.
Old 12-18-08, 07:51 PM   #329
Scummer

Quite amazing how much the processor utilization drops by using vdpau.
Running Iron Man in 1080p without vdpau my Core2Duo 2.66Ghz is at 80% load.
With vdpau the same movie only eats 6% cpu. Huge difference.
Running a 720p movie with vdpau is even better, the CPU doesn't even go higher than 1%.

BUT, I'm also experiencing the tearing and frame jumping of the video. Once that's fixed this will be a huge step for mythtv and other HTPC under linux with nvidia cards.
I'm also running the latest 180.16 driver with the latest mplayer patches. I have composite turned off and run nothing but ratpoison as a WM.

Thomas
Scummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-08, 09:25 PM   #330
adamorjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapsure View Post
Are there updated vdpau patches for mplayer? I can't get the original patches to compile against the new nvidia 180.16 driver. If so I'd like to know where to get them.
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/vdpau/
adamorjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-08, 10:21 PM   #331
BenBuntu

Stephen and team, I want to join everyone else in thanking you for the great work on VDPAU. I have a Sanyo HD-1000 camcorder that puts out 720p H.264 MP4 files, and currently any files from this camera (or other Sanyo HD models) will crash mplayer with VDPAU (with ffmpeg they play, just slowly).

I will mention that with or without VDPAU, I have to use the "--really-quiet" option in mplayer or else it pops an error message box up after each frame of video, saying that it expected more bytes than it got.

Anyway, here's a sample video from the camera:

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20070926/hdhr.mp4

Attached are the requisite logs. Anything you can do to make these videos playable would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben
Attached Files
File Type: txt mplayer.log.txt (2.1 KB, 135 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.tar.gz (39.7 KB, 115 views)
BenBuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-08, 10:53 PM   #332
Stephen Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBuntu View Post
I have a Sanyo HD-1000 camcorder that puts out 720p H.264 MP4 files, and currently any files from this camera (or other Sanyo HD models) will crash mplayer with VDPAU (with ffmpeg they play, just slowly).

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20070926/hdhr.mp4
Ben, this clip identifies itself as H.264 BASELINE profile, which our VDPAU implementation doesn't support (we only support MAIN and HIGH).

However, the MPlayer developers have intimated that nothing really generates BASELINE clips, even if files are marked as such. So, you may be able to get this to work by hacking MPlayer to pretend the clip is MAIN/HIGH. To do this, edit MPlayer's vo_vdpau.c, find this code:

Code:
    case IMGFMT_VDPAU_H264_BASELINE:
        vdp_decoder_profile = VDP_DECODER_PROFILE_H264_BASELINE;
        vdp_chroma_type = VDP_CHROMA_TYPE_420;
        // Theoretically, "num_reference_surfaces+1" is correct.
        // However, to work around invalid/corrupt streams,
        // and/or ffmpeg DPB management issues,
        // we allocate more than we should need to allow problematic
        // streams to play.
        //num_video_surfaces = num_reference_surfaces + 1;
        num_video_surfaces = NUM_VIDEO_SURFACES_H264;
        break;
Change VDP_DECODER_PROFILE_H264_BASELINE to VDP_DECODER_PROFILE_H264_HIGH.

Old 12-19-08, 05:04 AM   #333
i_am_nitrogen

Default VDPAU output does not work at all

Hi,

I've been following the progress of VDPAU with great interest. I upgraded my 7300GT to a 9500GT just so I could take advantage of the video acceleration and maybe help refine it into a usable state during the 180.xx beta series. With the most recent version of the mplayer patches and driver version 180.16, mplayer (and the entire system) hangs before displaying any video, then after a few seconds exits with an error. I'll attach a log of mplayer's output and the nvidia-bug-report.sh log file. I was using a trailer from apple.com to test, but this happens with any video file, with any codec, when using -vo vdpau.

I think it is worth noting that console echo was still off when mplayer exited, so I had to use stty +echo or stty sane to bring it back. I'm using the current mplayer patch as of today.
Attached Files
File Type: txt mplayer_log.txt (5.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (102.8 KB, 125 views)
i_am_nitrogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 11:04 AM   #334
Stephen Warren

@i_am_nitrogen,

Thanks for the bug report. It's an unusual issue. I'll see if we can reproduce it...
Old 12-19-08, 12:35 PM   #335
Fandorin

Hello Stephen,

if I disable Composite then mplayer shows only a green window during video playback.
If I enable Composite then I can watch the video but it is tearing.

I have tested it with a EN8400GS/512MB and also with a 9400/512MB. Always the same result.

I am running mythbuntu 8.10 with the driver 180.16 and the latest mplayer patch.

I find it also strange that if I run the patched mplayer with Composite disabled without vdpau:
mplayer-vdpau-3219724/mplayer-vdpau$ ./mplayer The_Magic_of_Flight_720.wmv
and with vdpau enabled:
mplayer-vdpau-3219724/mplayer-vdpau$ ./mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffwmv3vdpau The_Magic_of_Flight_720.wmv
then I get a green window.

But if I run an unpached mplayer with Composite disabled:
mplayer The_Magic_of_Flight_720.wmv
then I can see the video.

My xorg.conf uses only one screen and only my CRT-TV is attached via tvout.

Is this a known problem ?

Thank you for your help.
Fandorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 12:44 PM   #336
Senor Hubris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandorin View Post
Hello Stephen,

if I disable Composite then mplayer shows only a green window during video playback.
If I enable Composite then I can watch the video but it is tearing.

I have tested it with a EN8400GS/512MB and also with a 9400/512MB. Always the same result.

I am running mythbuntu 8.10 with the driver 180.16 and the latest mplayer patch.

I find it also strange that if I run the patched mplayer with Composite disabled without vdpau:
mplayer-vdpau-3219724/mplayer-vdpau$ ./mplayer The_Magic_of_Flight_720.wmv
and with vdpau enabled:
mplayer-vdpau-3219724/mplayer-vdpau$ ./mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffwmv3vdpau The_Magic_of_Flight_720.wmv
then I get a green window.

But if I run an unpached mplayer with Composite disabled:
mplayer The_Magic_of_Flight_720.wmv
then I can see the video.

My xorg.conf uses only one screen and only my CRT-TV is attached via tvout.

Is this a known problem ?

Thank you for your help.
I'm not Stephen, but yes it's a known problem. Read just a page or two back in this thread and you'll see it mentioned.
Senor Hubris is offline   Reply With Quote