Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-18-09, 01:41 PM   #565
Dragoran

Default Re: mplayer vdpau

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
It is NOT started with indirect rendering. It is started through the Gnome "Desktop Effects" button, which does not use this command line argument. Even if I start compiz at the command line manually, I get the same sluggish performance when I try a VDPAU codec on a movie.

As noted in another thread about compiz, the guy had to disable it to have acceptable performance.
Try editing /usr/bin/compiz-gtk

and change
Code:
exec compiz --ignore-desktop-hints glib gconf $@
to
Code:
exec compiz --ignore-desktop-hints --loose-binding glib gconf $@
And restart compiz using the Desktop effects app.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 03:05 PM   #566
mooninite

Adding --loose-binding solved the performance issue. I thought I remember that option causing problems with programs, but I ran a few 2D and 3D things and they seemed fine. Are there no bad side effects with using that option?
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 03:42 PM   #567
Dragoran

Quote:
Adding --loose-binding solved the performance issue. I thought I remember that option causing problems with programs, but I ran a few 2D and 3D things and they seemed fine. Are there no bad side effects with using that option?
You might get screen redraw issues.
Old 01-18-09, 03:46 PM   #568
teox99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarkeizen View Post
The connectors are electrically identical for video. The question is more about the equipment you attach on either end. Which is currently moot in the vast majority of cases. Perhaps you have a video card putting out 48 bpp in color or a TV capable of 2560x1600p@75 hz. If so congratulate yourself for being 2.576 standard deviations from the mean.
i've a Sony KDL-40W4500 TV with a Sony Home Cinema Surround kit so what mean.. do you mean?!? IMHO, i think for HD this is the minimum configuration, otherwise... why HD? the old and good divx is more easy. in the end is not necessary 2560x1600p@75, but FULL HD 1920x1080p is enough... for now!
teox99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 03:59 PM   #569
mooninite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoran View Post
You might get screen redraw issues.
Yes, already seeing them. Selecting multiple files in nautilus doesn't redraw the highlighted color when I select files. So, off it goes.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 06:31 PM   #570
sarkeizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by txf View Post
Am I correct in assuming that things like subtitles will not work? The readme states that osd /picture comoposites don't work. Will this (osd/subtitles) have to be adapted to use the internal Vdp objects?
With the patched Mplayer these work to an extent:

1) Subtitles increase CPU usage. The larger the screen area covered by the subtitles the more CPU used.
2) ASS support seems to be broken on accelerated files. I get errors like this:

Code:
VDec: vo config request - 1280 x 720 (preferred colorspace: H.264 HIGH VDPAU acceleration)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
VDec: vo config request - 1280 x 720 (preferred colorspace: H.264 HIGH VDPAU acceleration)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
and then the process just hangs. Turning off ASS support works fine. Playing back a non-accelerated format (Xvid) works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teox99 View Post
i've a Sony KDL-40W4500 TV with a Sony Home Cinema Surround kit so what mean.. do you mean?!? IMHO, i think for HD this is the minimum configuration, otherwise... why HD? the old and good divx is more easy. in the end is not necessary 2560x1600p@75, but FULL HD 1920x1080p is enough... for now!
What I mean is that a dual-link DVI connector can carry virtually any signal a HDMI 1.3 connector can however since most HD equipment can't do much more than 1920x1080p @ 24bpp/60fps. These 'extra' abilities are not needed (since they can be handled by HDMI 1.0/Single-Link DVI).
sarkeizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 08:53 AM   #571
sarkeizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorgus View Post
It seems the 8400 can't do one of the deinterlace methods because it is too slow. The 9300 is the same chip so likely would have the same problem but no one has confirmed yet. I also don't know how important the lack of that deinterlace is.
One day problem reports that just say "doesn't work" will be outlawed ;-)

More precisely HD interlaced video streams (1080i), when used with the Temporal and Temporal/Spacial de-interlace methods tax the GPU. So depending on the other work that your card is doing (i.e. running Compiz) you may get frame drop. Significant frame drop has been mentioned by people working on xine-vdpau with Temporal-Spacial (under 1080i) at the same time some xine-vdpau users say they have no problems with test clips. Currently mplayer doesn't support these features.

As for how important is this? It depends on the media you are playing back. Most of the video I get is 720p or 1080p. So de-interlacing is unnecessary.
sarkeizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 01:09 PM   #572
Stephen Warren

Quote:
OK I got around to building an mplayer package for Fedora 10 today since I have a shiny new 9800GTX+.

Any H.264 file I play using the VDPAU codec is worse than the software codec. What could I have done wrong? Any logs or output that would show me what's wrong?

-vc ffh264vdpau = 60%+ cpu usage, video might chop
without -vc = 30% cpu usage, video plays great
edit2: It's compiz. Disabling compiz brings me to 2% cpu. nVidia providing some sort of fix for this?
Fedora 10 forces indirect rendering in compiz. See the file compiz-gtk, which does this:

Code:
export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-09, 01:12 PM   #573
Stephen Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
vdp_output_surface_create(1, 0, 1920, 1920, -)
-> 23
Error 23 at libvo/vo_vdpau.c:791
[/code]
Error code 23 is VDP_STATUS_RESOURCES.

You're running of video RAM.
Old 01-19-09, 01:23 PM   #574
Stephen Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadtree View Post
Often (maybe about 10% of the time) when I start a video in mplayer, mplayer freezes immediately before displaying any video. It locks the whole system for about 20-30 seconds, then calms down enough so I can use a shell though it still uses 100% of one CPU continuously. I have to kill the process manually. There's no particular video that causes this: it happens with many different files and encoding types.
Thanks for the report. This is a new issue. We'll try and reproduce it and create a fix.
Old 01-19-09, 01:49 PM   #575
Dragoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
Fedora 10 forces indirect rendering in compiz. See the file compiz-gtk, which does this:

Code:
export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
No, we don't LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT is ignored by the nvidia driver, but the mesa stack honors it. This way open source drivers run in indirect rendering mode while on nvidia cards compiz runs with direct rendering.
Old 01-19-09, 02:13 PM   #576
Ankh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
Error code 23 is VDP_STATUS_RESOURCES.

You're running of video RAM.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm running @ 1920x1080x24 with a 512MB 9500GT. How much video RAM would I need for Grey.ts...?
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote