Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-09, 08:36 PM   #769
BenBuntu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13
Question Re: mplayer vdpau

Stephen, I'm extremely happy with your driver and mplayer VDPAU updates; the 720p 60fps H.264 videos from my Sanyo HD1000 camera play nice and smooth with no dropped frames, while the little Atom processor sits idle. It's great! But...

Sanyo came out with the HD2000 camera recently, which records 1080p 60fps H.264 videos. When I play these videos, the video almost plays smoothly, but there are some stutters here and there. Here's a video that has a lot of panning, to really show off the stutters:

http://ckworks.sakura.ne.jp/data/xac...207_2a_mp4.zip

Please note that to suppress constant error messages from these Sanyo videos, you need to add the "-really-quiet" option, and to see the stuttering, you need to add the "-framedrop" option (or else the video and audio won't stay in sync).

What I want to know is if the stuttering at 1080p 60fps is due to a hardware performance limitation of my 9300M GS GPU, or if it's just a software/config issue that may be correctable. I already tried the hacks to add more surfaces, but that didn't make any difference. I'm running the 180.29 driver and the 3482714 version of mplayer.

Thank you for all the great work on VDPAU, and I appreciate any ideas you may have. Attached is my nvidia-bug-report log.

Thanks,
Ben
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.bz2 (34.0 KB, 86 views)
BenBuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 09:04 PM   #770
philipl
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 116
Default Re: mplayer vdpau

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBuntu View Post
What I want to know is if the stuttering at 1080p 60fps is due to a hardware performance limitation of my 9300M GS GPU, or if it's just a software/config issue that may be correctable. I already tried the hacks to add more surfaces, but that didn't make any difference. I'm running the 180.29 driver and the 3482714 version of mplayer.
I'm not nvidia so I can only offer my opinion.

Remember that the general expectation for 1080p content (like blu-ray) is that it runs at p24 - which means you've actually got less data than 1080i60. 1080p60 is twice as much data and because it's not a 'mainstream' format, it won't be optimized for. My 9800gtx isn't happy playing your file.
__________________
--phil
philipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 01:51 AM   #771
dickeywang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 33
Default Re: mplayer vdpau

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
the TurboCache full working now?
It still can not make use of the TurboCache, but it seems the new version handles the memory usage more efficiently so it can actually play 720p video with just 128MB VRAM which couldn't be played in earlier version.
dickeywang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 05:20 AM   #772
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 467
Default Re: mplayer vdpau

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBuntu View Post
Sanyo came out with the HD2000 camera recently, which records 1080p 60fps H.264 videos.
1920x1080 @ 60 fps is H264 Level 4.2. IIRC, VDPAU officially only supports Level 4.1 (1920x1080 @ 30fps if wikipedia is correct). VDPAU's internal limit seems to be around 1920x1080 @ 50fps: Just test with -speed 0.87.
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 10:08 AM   #773
dragilla
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12
Default Re: mplayer vdpau

Hi all,

I'm watching this thread for a while now hoping mplayer vdpau support will get stable enough for me to play at least 720p videos. As for now it's always the same with every version: The video is losing frames and mplayer says my hardware's too weak to play it. This happens ones in a while... like 20 seconds or so... and also more ofter when there's more "movement" on the screen (say a bunch of birds is flying). I tried different stuff to fix it: turned compiz off, forced full GPU scaling off, renicing mplayer. This is the fourth version of the patch I'm trying (current is mplayer-vdpau-3482714) and I see no real improvement, so I began to think it's most probably me doing something wrong.

Short specs of my hard/software:
linux: Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10) (includes gcc 4.3.2)
nv driver: 180.29
hw: Asus n10j: intel aton n270 (1.6GHz), NVidia 9300M GS, 2GB RAM.
Attached you will find nvidia bug report + output of mplayer during short playback with vdpau/nvidia debug on.

I really hope this is something easy and you can help me fix it.

regards,
Luke
Attached Files
File Type: gz mplayer-debug.log.gz (60.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (46.2 KB, 89 views)
dragilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 10:41 AM   #774
hyfans
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 75
Default Re: mplayer vdpau

from my point of view, xine vdpau somtimes is a little bit 'stable' than mplayer vdpau
so you maybe can give it a try.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dragilla View Post
Hi all,

I'm watching this thread for a while now hoping mplayer vdpau support will get stable enough for me to play at least 720p videos. As for now it's always the same with every version: The video is losing frames and mplayer says my hardware's too weak to play it. This happens ones in a while... like 20 seconds or so... and also more ofter when there's more "movement" on the screen (say a bunch of birds is flying). I tried different stuff to fix it: turned compiz off, forced full GPU scaling off, renicing mplayer. This is the fourth version of the patch I'm trying (current is mplayer-vdpau-3482714) and I see no real improvement, so I began to think it's most probably me doing something wrong.

Short specs of my hard/software:
linux: Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10) (includes gcc 4.3.2)
nv driver: 180.29
hw: Asus n10j: intel aton n270 (1.6GHz), NVidia 9300M GS, 2GB RAM.
Attached you will find nvidia bug report + output of mplayer during short playback with vdpau/nvidia debug on.

I really hope this is something easy and you can help me fix it.

regards,
Luke
hyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 10:47 AM   #775
BenBuntu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13
Default Re: mplayer vdpau

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragilla View Post
Hi all,

I'm watching this thread for a while now hoping mplayer vdpau support will get stable enough for me to play at least 720p videos. As for now it's always the same with every version: The video is losing frames and mplayer says my hardware's too weak to play it. This happens ones in a while... like 20 seconds or so... and also more ofter when there's more "movement" on the screen (say a bunch of birds is flying). I tried different stuff to fix it: turned compiz off, forced full GPU scaling off, renicing mplayer. This is the fourth version of the patch I'm trying (current is mplayer-vdpau-3482714) and I see no real improvement, so I began to think it's most probably me doing something wrong.

Short specs of my hard/software:
linux: Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10) (includes gcc 4.3.2)
nv driver: 180.29
hw: Asus n10j: intel aton n270 (1.6GHz), NVidia 9300M GS, 2GB RAM.
Attached you will find nvidia bug report + output of mplayer during short playback with vdpau/nvidia debug on.

I really hope this is something easy and you can help me fix it.

regards,
Luke
Luke, I have exactly the same laptop (Asus N10J) and exact same versions of Ubuntu, Nvidia driver, and patched mplayer as you, and I'm able to play all H.264 720p videos I've come across just fine, smooth as silk, no dropped frames. One thing to try, that I needed to do to get smooth playback, is to disable the X composite extension in your xorg.conf file, in addition to disabling Compiz. Have you done this? Otherwise, please post a link to a video that gives you trouble so I can try it on my N10J.

-Ben
BenBuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 11:19 AM   #776
dragilla
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12
Default Re: mplayer vdpau

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBuntu View Post
One thing to try, that I needed to do to get smooth playback, is to disable the X composite extension in your xorg.conf file, in addition to disabling Compiz. Have you done this?
If you mean this line in xorg.conf:
#Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "True"
then this is the way it looks (commented out).
Maybe I should uncomment it and write "False"?
I will attach my xorg.conf ... maybe there's something else wrong with it?

Also I migh add tha I run 2.6.29rc4 custom built kernel.
I don't think there's a point posting my video, because it's just one of many h264 videos I can't watch

Thanx for help anywyas, maybe we can work this out together eventually.

UPDATE: oops, me bad... I looked it up, and ran xorg-config --no-composite + X restart, then metacity --replace and back to video playback... It's more less the same unfortunately It's like something blocks up... gfx memory, or maybe gpu or even cpu?)
UPDATE 2: it's maybe a bit better... doesn't choke just once in a while. It only chokes when "things happen on the screen". In the movie I have there's this scene where a lot of glass is broken and is falling to the floor. The whole screen is in motion. If you can give me a method to extract that scene I could publish it somewhere, because the whole movie is 4.4gig (and this scene is closer to the end of the movie, so truncate is not an option).

regards,
--
Luke
Attached Files
File Type: gz xorg.conf.gz (2.8 KB, 94 views)
dragilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-09, 12:11 PM   #777
BenBuntu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13
Default Re: mplayer vdpau

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragilla View Post
If you mean this line in xorg.conf:
#Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "True"
then this is the way it looks (commented out).
Maybe I should uncomment it and write "False"?
I will attach my xorg.conf ... maybe there's something else wrong with it?

Also I migh add tha I run 2.6.29rc4 custom built kernel.
I don't think there's a point posting my video, because it's just one of many h264 videos I can't watch

Thanx for help anywyas, maybe we can work this out together eventually.

UPDATE: oops, me bad... I looked it up, and ran xorg-config --no-composite + X restart, then metacity --replace and back to video playback... It's more less the same unfortunately It's like something blocks up... gfx memory, or maybe gpu or even cpu?)
UPDATE 2: it's maybe a bit better... doesn't choke just once in a while. It only chokes when "things happen on the screen". In the movie I have there's this scene where a lot of glass is broken and is falling to the floor. The whole screen is in motion. If you can give me a method to extract that scene I could publish it somewhere, because the whole movie is 4.4gig (and this scene is closer to the end of the movie, so truncate is not an option).

regards,
--
Luke
Luke, your xorg.conf has a lot more Nvidia options in it than mine does. It's possible that one or more of those options is causing trouble. When I get home from work tonight, I'll post my xorg.conf so you could try it and see if it helps.

To make sure we're not comparing apples and oranges here, I'll post a link to one of the H.264 720p 60fps videos that works OK for me, so you can try it and we can make sure that it's not just the particular videos you're playing that are the problem. My N10J can play any of these 720p 60fps videos without any noticeable frame dropping at all, even when there's tons of on-screen motion. So I'll post that link later tonight.

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 with the stock 2.6.27 kernel, so hopefully that isn't what's making the difference. We should be able to figure it out by process of elimination, though.

-Ben
BenBuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 12:27 PM   #778
dragilla
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12
Default Re: mplayer vdpau

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBuntu View Post
Luke, your xorg.conf has a lot more Nvidia options in it than mine does. It's possible that one or more of those options is causing trouble. When I get home from work tonight, I'll post my xorg.conf so you could try it and see if it helps.

To make sure we're not comparing apples and oranges here, I'll post a link to one of the H.264 720p 60fps videos that works OK for me, so you can try it and we can make sure that it's not just the particular videos you're playing that are the problem. My N10J can play any of these 720p 60fps videos without any noticeable frame dropping at all, even when there's tons of on-screen motion. So I'll post that link later tonight.

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 with the stock 2.6.27 kernel, so hopefully that isn't what's making the difference. We should be able to figure it out by process of elimination, though.
Great, can't wait to test your xorg.conf.
PS: maybe it's time to move this discussion out of this forum? If the playback works good for you and you have same hardware as I do, then it's not really vdpau related anymore. Priv msg me if you agree. I don't wanna make a mess here.

PS: there's a lot of cool stuff you can't do with the stock kernel on your N10J. I'll tell you later

Thanx for for help,
--
Luke
dragilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 01:50 PM   #779
kross
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11
Default Re: mplayer vdpau

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragilla View Post
Great, can't wait to test your xorg.conf.
PS: maybe it's time to move this discussion out of this forum? If the playback works good for you and you have same hardware as I do, then it's not really vdpau related anymore. Priv msg me if you agree. I don't wanna make a mess here.

PS: there's a lot of cool stuff you can't do with the stock kernel on your N10J. I'll tell you later

Thanx for for help,
--
Luke
Actually I'm having the same problem, except it's with some 1080p24 videos. All the 720p videos I've tried work fine. Most of my 1080p videos work fine. I have a few that use 100% CPU and mplayer tells me my system is too slow. Other people can play the same file without problem.

Here's a test clip that uses 100% CPU on my system (about 115 MB):

http://download.statuspro.tv/test.mkv

I have an on-board GeForce 8200.

-- Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (3.3 KB, 121 views)
kross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 02:10 PM   #780
Gregoire.Favre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 126
Default Re: mplayer vdpau

Just found out on the mplayer-dev-eng ml :
"this is part of the extremely work-in-progress vdpau branch at
http://natsuki.mplayerhq.hu/~reimar/MPlayer.git/"
It certainly could be of lots of interest for lots of people here :-)
Gregoire.Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xorg locks-up with newest nvidia drivers w/ vdpau. theroot NVIDIA Linux 1 06-24-12 11:04 AM
NVIDIA VDPAU Reference Benchmarks News Latest Tech And Game Headlines 0 06-11-12 05:30 AM
VDPAU and KDE 4.8 compositing = slow Pie-rate NVIDIA Linux 30 05-23-12 07:07 AM
VDPAU testing tool crisalide NVIDIA Linux 392 04-29-12 06:01 PM
mplayer & xmms problems! replys2me NVIDIA Linux 5 09-06-02 02:34 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.