Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-15-08, 08:45 AM   #1
swalko

Default 180.06, 180.08 performance report (problems)

Hi

With 180.06 drivers it seems, that 2D acceleration is finally (after year of owning 8800GT) added for newer GPUs.

2D performance is now very good, KDE4 and KDE4 apps are running much faster, Firefox is scrolling pages with static background smooth, javascript FX operations like blending run smooth too.

I have problem with youtube (flash content) movies. Small videos run good, after maximization at full screen video run good, but when i start to move mouse in fullscreen mode over video, video playing is very laggy. This problem occurs only with Ubuntu 8.10 (Flash player 10, Compiz), on OpenSUSE 11 (with KWIN4) youtube movies run nice.

Small problem: when console is switched to xorg, on screen is visible corruption for a 1 - 2 seconds.

Last edited by swalko; 11-22-08 at 06:25 AM. Reason: updated to new version (180.08)
swalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-08, 09:11 AM   #2
oyvind

Default Re: 180.06 performance report (problems)

Hmm, I think this might be a general issue with the Flash plugin, because I experience the same problem on both an Intel 915GM card and an ATI X1400 radeon mobile (running open source drivers). Running Compiz, btw. Flash fullscreen is far from perfect, lets hope Adobe improves it even more for the next release .. I'd be careful about blaming this one on nVidia.
oyvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-08, 09:25 AM   #3
swalko

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyvind View Post
Hmm, I think this might be a general issue with the Flash plugin, because I experience the same problem on both an Intel 915GM card and an ATI X1400 radeon mobile (running open source drivers). Running Compiz, btw. Flash fullscreen is far from perfect, lets hope Adobe improves it even more for the next release .. I'd be careful about blaming this one on nVidia.
I am not blaming, i am happy that nvidia released at last drivers and my desktop is now endly usable ... i am only informing.
Old 11-15-08, 01:42 PM   #4
oyvind

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalko View Post
I am not blaming, i am happy that nvidia released at last drivers and my desktop is now endly usable ... i am only informing.
Yes, sorry, didn't mean it like that .. Only meant to inform, myself.
oyvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 03:36 AM   #5
mrn

This is an adobe issue, flash disables hardware acceleration if compiz is detected in use (not sure why, could be an old bug, could be an actual issue with how compiz works currently). Disabling compiz and it should be smooth in fullscreen.

//edit, as an alternative you can use compiz zoom on that window to see it in "fullscreen"
mrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 07:46 PM   #6
d_u_s_t

I think there is a problem with hardware accelerated flash and the new beta. With 177.82 everything was fine, with 180.06 switching to fullscreen results in getting around 0.1 fps ;-)
If I deactivate hardware accelation in flash settings, everything is fine again (I thing flash uses pure software scaling in that case).
Well, its still a Beta...

(Flash 10, Xserver 1.4.2, no compiz, just plain KDE3, firefox3, 7600GT)
d_u_s_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-08, 07:06 AM   #7
swalko

Next problem:

After longer period (2 hours or more) or active using of computer, screen drawing with time will go slower and slower. This ist mostly visible on GTK apps (switch to next tab in Firefox take about 2 - 5 seconds). Switch between GTK apps and non-GTK apps is very choppy. Switching between KDE4 apps seems to be a smooth.

This problem can be solved only in a way of logging out and logging in new session.Disabling KWIN4 compositing do not help.
Old 11-17-08, 10:22 AM   #8
Exopaladin

Quote:
Next problem:

After longer period (2 hours or more) or active using of computer, screen drawing with time will go slower and slower. This ist mostly visible on GTK apps (switch to next tab in Firefox take about 2 - 5 seconds). Switch between GTK apps and non-GTK apps is very choppy. Switching between KDE4 apps seems to be a smooth.

This problem can be solved only in a way of logging out and logging in new session.Disabling KWIN4 compositing do not help.
I've experienced this too, using XFCE4 though. When it happened just now it seemed to recover after killing Thunderbird, Firefox, and a few other misc GTK apps I had open, such as Thunar (Still left xchat/pidgin/gnome-terminal running though).

Edit: Scratch that, it was only slightly better and didn't last when I went back to opening some more tabs.

Edit 2: I suspect the pixmap cache isn't properly being freed or something, if I do nvidia-settings -a PixmapCache=0 and then turn it back on with =1, Firefox and such seem fast again.
Exopaladin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-08, 11:24 AM   #9
ogetbilo

Quote:
Next problem:

I confirm this too.
ogetbilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-08, 12:44 PM   #10
DeiF

Adobe has recently released an alpha version of Flash 10 for 64 bits (only for Linux).

For me, it has improved performance a lot. If your system is 64 bits, try it. Scrolling and fullscreen feels better IMHO.

Yay! No more nspluginwrapper!
DeiF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-08, 01:10 PM   #11
g.krist

I see also a big slow-down after 2 hours. X keeps eating around 90% cpu ....
g.krist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-08, 02:23 PM   #12
Deanjo

Quote:
Next problem:

Confirmed. This happens in KDE3 as well. Easily replicated with having thunderbird open.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote