Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-17-08, 09:12 AM   #1
Tr1cK
not coming back

Default Non-Aero Vista Themes Wanted!

I'm looking for non-Aero themes for Vista. I want to use the Basic theme, but would prefer to be able to change the colors. Any good themes available without third party software? If third party, whats cheap or free and recommended? If I could modify the Vista Basic theme with new colors, I would be happy.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-08, 09:50 AM   #2
einstein_314
w00t!!

Default Re: Non-Aero Vista Themes Wanted!

If you just want to change the colors, why not just change the color in the appearance settings?
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-08, 09:54 AM   #3
Tr1cK
not coming back

You can't do it on the Basic theme.
Old 11-18-08, 11:59 AM   #4
Tr1cK
not coming back

bumps

Sure would like some other options. I'm done with Aero and all the display driver crashing. I'm currently running a the good old Win 98 'Rainy Day' appearance for nostalgia. I'd be content with XP style Silver theme.
Old 11-18-08, 12:12 PM   #5
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

if Aero is crashing, you better take a good look at your PC, either your hardware or software (OS, codec, program) is causing it.
Old 11-18-08, 12:25 PM   #6
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Just use Aero basic, looks good and you lose a few features no one cares about. Aero didn't do anything for me anyways. Dont bother with windowblinds.

Also - games don't have to switch to basic if you already run it
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-08, 12:39 PM   #7
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
if Aero is crashing, you better take a good look at your PC, either your hardware or software (OS, codec, program) is causing it.
It crashes sporadically regardless of card clocks. I can be doing nothing and it crash. I can then game for hours on end with no issue. I just don't want Windows handling the VPU recovery. I used to always disable this on XP and never had an issue.

I'm multi-prime95 stable for 24 hours. I've ran video card and full system stress tests simultaneously. I seriously think it's a driver issue or compatibility issue I have. No aero = no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Just use Aero basic, looks good and you lose a few features no one cares about. Aero didn't do anything for me anyways. Dont bother with windowblinds.

Also - games don't have to switch to basic if you already run it
I would use basic if I could change the colors. I hate the default colors.
Old 11-18-08, 12:42 PM   #8
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

all i'm saying that there is something that is making it crash, I had xvid that used to crash aero a while ago, removed xvid, now ffdshow handles almost all my media and no problem.

just one example, take a second good look

Old 11-18-08, 12:48 PM   #9
Tr1cK
not coming back

Good point Nekro. The least amount of things running while I've had this issue has been just Firefox. No video player or otherwise going.

I'd be content with a colored Vista Basic theme as Aero doesn't really bring anything to the table for me that I care for besides the thumbnail previews. I'm putting AutoCAD 2009 on here soon and the last thing I need is a crash when I am drawing a big project.
Old 11-18-08, 12:59 PM   #10
Tr1cK
not coming back

Just found a small utility called VistaGlazz that allows custom themes to be applied. Combined with a theme called 'Vista Black', I may have found my answer.
Old 11-18-08, 02:28 PM   #11
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Ok. I just checked and you can change colours for Vista Basic. In fact you can only really change the colours for Vista Basic i.e. more so than Aero really.

Go to Window Color and Appearance and you can change the colours for the taksbar and windows and text and everything. Its not the same as a Theme but if all you need is a change in simple stuff it can be done.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-08, 02:41 PM   #12
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by npras42 View Post
Ok. I just checked and you can change colours for Vista Basic. In fact you can only really change the colours for Vista Basic i.e. more so than Aero really.

Go to Window Color and Appearance and you can change the colours for the taksbar and windows and text and everything. Its not the same as a Theme but if all you need is a change in simple stuff it can be done.
I tried that, didn't seem to work correctly. It does fine for classic themes, but not vista.