Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-18-08, 07:38 AM   #1
Bearclaw

Default UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Anyone ever have this blue screen message pop up when booting into windows? My friend has it happen on her laptop and from what research I have done on it, it is possible ot fix with the XP disc and going into the recovery screen (using chkdsk /r ) when you insert the disc, etc.

Now, I know there is a chance that might not always work. Is there a chance the HD is just dead?
Old 11-18-08, 07:44 AM   #2
Runningman

Default Re: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

check the cable and swap out the cables, also make sure he didnt break any pins on his HDD. You can go into the recovery console from the windows cd and do a chkdsk or even a bootfix.
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-08, 07:46 AM   #3
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Could be MBR. I've never had luck with recovery personally. I take it you haven't tried a fresh install and setting up the partition yet again?

If the recovery doesn't work, just delete whatever partition is left and start fresh with a Vista or XP install. If that still fails then you are probably looking at a bad drive.
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-08, 08:00 AM   #4
Bearclaw

Thanks guy for the replies.

I want to try the recovery first because I need to preserve the data on there, so I hope it didn't crash or die on me. If I can do that, I might just buy a new HD for it anyway just to get a new one in there. The current one is a few years old.

That being said, a fresh install is kind of out of the question.

Also, I tried plugging it into an external drive last night and it popped up in my computer. I tried going into it and backing up files but was unable to even access the drive. I am thinking it is dead, IMO. I hope not. It would be nice to get the data of before i swap it out...
Old 11-18-08, 01:04 PM   #5
Starscream
Decepticook

I've only ever seen that come up with a failing hard drive. Take that drive out of their computer and use another pc to back up their data. The more you keep futzing around with it the worse it's going to get.
Old 11-18-08, 01:07 PM   #6
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
I've only ever seen that come up with a failing hard drive. Take that drive out of their computer and use another pc to back up their data. The more you keep futzing around with it the worse it's going to get.
I took it out last night and plugged it in VIA external and I wasn't able to go into it. I would click on it and my computer would freeze for a while and just come up with an error...
Old 11-18-08, 03:22 PM   #7
Gimlis

Data loss or the process of recovery isn't enjoyable so I wish you luck.

you could try looking at it with recovery software
such as Active@ Partition Recovery who offer demo versions for DOS or windows

http://www.partition-recovery.com/download.htm

the demo's won't perform the restore but they are non destructive and can show you what files could be restored with a registered version.

I've only had to recover lost partions twice once with active partition recovery and once years ago with an Ontrack product.

a little searching will show several companies who offer data recovery software..

Good Luck
Gimlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-08, 05:19 PM   #8
Bearclaw

@gimlis - Thanks.

So I am having trouble accessing the HD. I turn on the external it is in and my system freezes anytime I go near it... I right click on it and my system freezes...

Old 11-18-08, 07:14 PM   #9
Gimlis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
@gimlis - Thanks.

So I am having trouble accessing the HD. I turn on the external it is in and my system freezes anytime I go near it... I right click on it and my system freezes...
I've had a couple drives do that when connected via a USB multi drive adapter.

you may have better luck connecting it as an internal drive and using a bootable diagnostics/utility disc or CD..

again many of the drive data recovery packages can have bootable floppy or CD based utilities.. drive manufacturers also offer bootable diagnostics and utils that can you if the hardware is good or bad etc

Seagate & Maxtor
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/

WesterDigital
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?wdc_lang=en

Fujitsu
http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/c...tml#diagnostic
Gimlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-08, 10:17 PM   #10
Bearclaw

Thanks for your help, gimlis.

I connected it internally and it worked better. Haha, not the best, but better. It's a dead drive though so I was happy to just get everything copied over.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-20-08, 10:17 PM   #11
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

boot into a windows CD, and use the "R" option to get into the recovery console....

commands...

Code:
fixmbr
fixboot C:
That might work.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 07:56 AM   #12
Bearclaw

Thanks for all your help, guys.

I was able to back everything up and I purchased a new HD and installed it. Now it's trying to get Dell drivers to install. Not having any luck with it.