Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-02-08, 05:37 PM   #25
perfectska04

Default Re: [180.08] Screen off after suspend to ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
is it really that dead ?

can't it be rebooted via Magic SysRQ Key ? (r e i s u b)

this is definitely better for your harddrive's health, afaik there's a key combination to print something on the screen dunno if it's p - ...
Oh wait, I didn't know about REISUB. I'll try that if it still doesn't work with the next driver release. Thanks!
perfectska04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 07:14 PM   #26
nevion

Ditto, problem still there. Common nvidia, pre 180 suck for kde 4 interactivity and new drivers have no suspend - really sucks for laptops! Get a release on this pronto please!

ps. I think I mentioned before - when my machine resumes - it just reboots suddenly after a few seconds without me doing anything, other times it crashes to where it seems its partially woken up but the machine is hardlocked (network isn't up so I can't ssh in) and sysrq commands are ignored. Even if it's not completely dead - without network and no screen, it's kinda hard to see dumped text.
nevion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 03:54 AM   #27
bistory

Still no success with 180.11...
bistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 07:34 PM   #28
olifre

I once had this problem in older Ubuntu-Versions and fixed it using this manual:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Nv...yDriverSuspend

However, upgrades to newer releases of Ubuntu sometimes reset these changes again. After applying those again (NvAGP "1", two changes in acpi-support) suspend seems to work again. Note that I did not blacklist any AGP-driver, so it might have been the "POST_VIDEO" option that was the cause.
olifre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 09:01 AM   #29
huiii

Talking Re: [180.08] Screen off after suspend to ram

hello people,

since fresh install ubuntu ibex intrepid, and nvidia prop. driver 177.something i never had to worry about complicated configurations, i recall here that this is new for linux/nvidia users.
the fact that it "just worked" was a new experience for me and i guess for you too.

actually those 177-drivers upraised a new problem: i could hardly use openoffice and skype anymore, as i couldn't see buttons or read/write text in those apps.
this was a nvidia bug.

so i went on and installed the new nvidia beta driver 180.something, which eliminates those bugs completely, PLUS compiz rendering is so much better now!!

the only disappointing thing was the fact that my Sony VAIO FZ31M would not wake up anymore from suspend. it was completely dead, forcing me to hard-kill it (poor HDD)..

now the first thing that came to my mind than was to configure /etc/default/acpi-support like in the pre-ibex-intrepid-times and this works very well, till now.

so, as olifre said, just follow that link:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Nv...yDriverSuspend

cheers.
huiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 12:30 PM   #30
huiii

S/BAD NEWS!

no, the old-school solution does not work in daily life with the 180.somethingsomething driver anymore.
actually, 9 of 10 suspend to RAM ended deadly!!

i have a wish:
a nice all around working nvidia driver.

Old 12-05-08, 01:24 PM   #31
olifre

Hello again,

yes, you are right, the old school solution did not change anything - it just worked by chance for a few times .
However, I think you can not blame nVidia for a beta-driver not being able to suspend correctly - it's beta!
I am using it because of the numerous improvements in speed - which also brought some blotchy windows with it (not refreshing correctly, but this is another thread) but nevertheless, the new driver is an improvement!
The bugs we find can only help nVidia to make things better - but there is no reason to blame them.
If you need suspend, use a stable driver, those worked fine here.
Old 12-05-08, 02:05 PM   #32
huiii

Red face Re: [180.08] Screen off after suspend to ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by olifre View Post
Hello again,

yes, you are right, the old school solution did not change anything - it just worked by chance for a few times .
However, I think you can not blame nVidia for a beta-driver not being able to suspend correctly - it's beta!
I am using it because of the numerous improvements in speed - which also brought some blotchy windows with it (not refreshing correctly, but this is another thread) but nevertheless, the new driver is an improvement!
The bugs we find can only help nVidia to make things better - but there is no reason to blame them.
If you need suspend, use a stable driver, those worked fine here.

absolutely, i am aware of the beta..
but if i go back to 177, suspend works totally, but openoffice and skype are unusable, the windows will just refresh on moving them or hovering with mouse, and other issues..
so, now u know.. it is no option to go back, cause at the end the openoffice and other apps are more important to me.
that is why i wish an all in all well working nvidia driver.
180.XX is way faster and smoother than 1XX.XX

by the way:
hibernation works perfect here.

Old 12-05-08, 05:32 PM   #33
olifre

Yes, I see your point. That's one of the reasons why I am also using the beta-driver ;-).
I just pointed out it's still beta because many posters in this thread are blaming nVidia for "bad quality" (so I did not address you ;-) ).

Suspend works fine here, too - just a bit slow, for I am not using tuxonice.
I guess, the problem is, that the nvidia-driver is not reinitialized completely when you are just resuming from suspend. Tomorrow, I might try unloading it completely before suspend and reloading it after (there is such an option in acpi-support...).
Old 12-06-08, 10:27 AM   #34
codz

Hi,

180.xx (Beta) drivers are failing on waking up from S3 on DELL Latitude D830 (Quadro NVS 135M) as well. With latest stable 177.82 suspend to RAM / resume still works perfectly.

I would agree that KDE 4 and NVIDIA integration is getting somewhere. I'll switch to 180.xx Drivers immediately after it starts resuming from S3 correctly.

Best regards.
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.tar.bz2 (31.8 KB, 137 views)
codz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 01:18 PM   #35
huiii

Question Re: [180.08] Screen off after suspend to ram

Quote:
Yes, I see your point. That's one of the reasons why I am also using the beta-driver ;-).
I just pointed out it's still beta because many posters in this thread are blaming nVidia for "bad quality" (so I did not address you ;-) ).

Suspend works fine here, too - just a bit slow, for I am not using tuxonice.
I guess, the problem is, that the nvidia-driver is not reinitialized completely when you are just resuming from suspend. Tomorrow, I might try unloading it completely before suspend and reloading it after (there is such an option in acpi-support...).
that sounds interesting,
how would you do that?
Old 12-09-08, 01:23 PM   #36
ledoc

Quote:
Tomorrow, I might try unloading it completely before suspend and reloading it after (there is such an option in acpi-support...).
Wouldn't you have to stop the X server in order to be able to do that?
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote