Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-05-09, 10:11 AM   #73
Kirurgs

Default Re: [180.08] Screen off after suspend to ram

NvFuchs, thanks for the patches, I had applied one for kernel before new year but no luck, additionally I didn't knew patch for thinkfinger existed!
I'll try to check will this solve fingerprint issue and nVidia one too.

P.S. I have no vanilla kernel too, I compile kernel for myself to enable certain functionality and filesystems...
** Homebrew desktop: AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM, integrated Radeon HD3300 + discrete Radeon 4850 512M, Windows 7 Ultimate (for games), ArchLinux i686, Gnome, 2.6.29, catalyst 9.4... (this now just rocks in lunix, really! )
Kirurgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 11:01 AM   #74
bistory

It seems OK with the kernel 2.6.28 ! Great :P

I spoke too quickly, that doesn't work starting to the desktop, that works from gdm... (I didn't test before from gdm)

To those who want to compile quickly and easily the new kernel on debian/ubuntu, follow these intructions :
1) Install the following packages :
Code:
sudo aptitude install kernel-package build-essential
2) Download the sources :
Code:
sudo wget http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.28.tar.bz2
3) Uncompress the sources :
Code:
sudo tar xvjf linux-2.6.28.tar.bz2
4) Make a symlink (and destroy the existing one if necessary)
Code:
sudo rm linux && sudo ln -s linux-2.6.28 linux
5) Make the new .config based on the actual one
Code:
cd linux && sudo make oldconfig
(Press "Enter" to all questions if you don't know what to do )

6) Compile the sources
Code:
sudo make-kpkg clean && sudo make-kpkg --initrd --revision=2.6.28 --append-to-version=-custom-1 kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image
7) Install the new kernel
Code:
cd .. && sudo dpkg -i linux*.deb
Reboot, install Nvidia's driver and enjoy
bistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 05:06 PM   #75
Kirurgs

I have tested this and thinkfinger worked! Yay, I found a solution to my fingerprint reader on nVidia forums! and I can't get my suspend working using 180.xx...

This time - first suspend works and second doesn't... I made sure I wait like 30 secs or 1 minute before waking up computer after aech suspend, second time it just hung up with black screen as always with 180.xx series...
I compiled 177.82 under .28 kernel and so far it works like a charm, 4 suspend + 1 hibernate cycles and no errors...
** Homebrew desktop: AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM, integrated Radeon HD3300 + discrete Radeon 4850 512M, Windows 7 Ultimate (for games), ArchLinux i686, Gnome, 2.6.29, catalyst 9.4... (this now just rocks in lunix, really! )
Old 01-05-09, 05:24 PM   #76
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Kirurgs:

get hibernate-script and $EDITOR /etc/hibernate/common.conf

SwitchToTextMode yes

and report whether it works.

Glad I could help with your fingerprint toy

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 07:23 PM   #77
nevion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bistory View Post
I think this bug is related to Phoenix BIOS'es, i'm compiling the kernel 2.6.28 to test if it is also fixed to my computer (I saw that a new option appeared on this release that fix a problem to suspend/resume for Phoenix BIOS'es).
I don't think so, unless my t61p thinkpad actually is using something like that... I'd bet its more in-house to ibm though (it'd save them license fees if nothing else). Additionally, something is up - there are no comments from nvidia on the matter.

I'm compiling my own tuxonice 2.6.28 right now though, hopefully I don't have to care about this matter any longer (though it is my bet it won't work fine even with tuxonice).
nevion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 05:14 AM   #78
nevion

Well, tried vanilla 2.6.28 w/ tuxonice patches. Suspend refused to work (kept giving device busy errors). Hibernate had a bug on w/ my bluetooth and things just sort of died there... I'll see if simplifying the environment does anything tomorrow but bah, this sucks. Hopefully the driver fixing the problem happens soon.
Old 01-06-09, 11:41 PM   #79
elsewhere

As an update to my earlier post, suspend to RAM absolutely fails with the last few 180.xx drivers, no matter what I try. Actually, it works, it's just the resume part that fails absolutely.

I can hibernate consistently, using the standard KDE 4 mechanism in openSUSE, so I guess that's something. Well, almost consistently. Sometimes the hibernate hangs at the final stage, but if I power off and then power on it un-hibernates just fine. Only bringing that up because it means hibernating isn't an acceptable alternative for a lid-close action in my case, if I can't rely on the system to actually power off.

I've been able to suspend with nvidia drivers through several versions since purchasing my current laptop, and through the two previous laptops I've had over the years. These newest ones are beta, so fine, things are being worked out, and I can live with that, but I'm getting concerned that the driver may be pushed out to release without the suspend issue being addressed, because it's evident that something has broken in the process.

I know that suspend is one of those icky issues that the devs don't want to commit to supporting, but it would be nice to see an acknowledgment from somebody associated with the nvidia team, if only to say non-officially, "hey, point noted, we're taking a look to see what may have caused this." Can't really post a proper bug report since the system locks before being able to generate it.

Just my 2c...
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 11:59 PM   #80
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Sorry for the very slow response on this bug. We've reproduced the problem and are investigating it. Unfortunately, it's very unlikely that a fix is going to make it in by our official release deadline, so don't expect it to be fixed in the next release.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-09, 12:42 AM   #81
nevion

Its great to see some acknowledgment around here finally! Do reconsider delaying your beta release for the suspend fix however, VDPAU fixes for those beta users out there can wait the small while it should take you guys to fix the problem :-). 2 more+ weeks till another beta driver to fix suspend just doesn't fly. It really should be priority one right now.
Old 01-07-09, 01:54 AM   #82
Kirurgs

Hey, I think we have something to celebrate here, yay
The first post for the suspend / hibernate thread after a long long time... Thanx a lot, at least we know someone hopefully looks at it...

But well, I agree with nevion, better delay a release a bit (since the problem is reproduced) and fix should not take that long...

Aaron, thanx for the good sign...
Old 01-07-09, 03:21 AM   #83
bistory

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Sorry for the very slow response on this bug. We've reproduced the problem and are investigating it. Unfortunately, it's very unlikely that a fix is going to make it in by our official release deadline, so don't expect it to be fixed in the next release.
Thanks AaronP we will wait as children for Christmas
bistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 01:01 PM   #84
huiii

Red face Re: [180.08] Screen off after suspend to ram

anyone tried 180.17?
opengl 3.0 was implememted here and besides, i hear rumors that performance is faster/.
but for laptop users the most important with be a working suspend wake up.. anybody with info on this>? thx
huiii is offline   Reply With Quote