Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-27-03, 12:13 PM   #1
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw
Default nVidia should nix 3dmark

I think nVidia should write a code to detect 3dmark and not allow it to run.

I think Futuremark is getting too big, and I think we need to shut them down.

That will stop all the cheating on both sides dead!

We'd then have to use *GASP* games to benchmark with!
Old 05-27-03, 12:16 PM   #2
volt

3DMark is a joke. Burn in hell and die!

Thank you
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-03, 01:20 PM   #3
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Default Re: nVidia should nix 3dmark

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
We'd then have to use *GASP* games to benchmark with!
Then IHVs would start cheating in game timedemos (If they aren't already).
Old 05-27-03, 01:44 PM   #4
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

Can't cheat in all games all the time, that's why you bench more than two games...

or then start using FRAPS...
Old 05-27-03, 01:53 PM   #5
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Ok, let's say we do that....

How are we going to test Pixel Shader 2.0 performance? And performance of other DirectX 9 features?
Old 05-27-03, 02:24 PM   #6
Matthyahuw

why do we need to?

wait for a game to actually USE them!

Until then, it's moot...

watch the company demos and go OoOoOo AHHHHHH
Old 05-27-03, 03:27 PM   #7
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Some people can't afford to upgrade to every new generation of graphics cards, they'll buy one card to last them several years - In that kind of scenario, future performance is very important.

That's pretty much the whole reason nVidia want to discredit 3DMark2003 in my opinion - To hide the absolutely appaling Pixel Shader 2.0 performance of their current range of cards.
Old 05-27-03, 04:30 PM   #8
evilangel

I also think Nvidia should not use 3DMark. We know HardOCP doesn't like it, if more sites just stopped using it, FutureMark goes down the toilet.

The people who make up the majority of video card sales don't care about Pixel Shader 2.0 performance or 3DMark.
evilangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-03, 04:41 PM   #9
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by evilangel
I also think Nvidia should not use 3DMark. We know HardOCP doesn't like it, if more sites just stopped using it, FutureMark goes down the toilet.

The people who make up the majority of video card sales don't care about Pixel Shader 2.0 performance or 3DMark.
[H] still uses or at least did use elements from other parts of the test... ie... pixel and vertex shading...

the test is unlikely to just stop being used because nvidia is having problems on it @ the moment... I am sure nvidia will fix its issues and get back with the program with a better product eventually...

I had thought that the nv35 was it... but not quite it seems... perhaps the nv40 will have more and better fixes when it is released...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-03, 04:58 PM   #10
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by evilangel
Oh, well if HardOCP doesn't like it then I'd best delete it from my hard-drive right now!

Wow, you mean Kyle & nVidia are saying the EXACT SAME THING?!?! What next, what are the odds? Can we at least see nVidia's lips moving this time when Kyle talks?

Quote:
Yeah, but apparently nVidia feels it's important enough to cheat at to improve their score.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-03, 05:27 PM   #11
evilangel

I don't trust FutureMark, I don't take their word on anything including the cheating. They're probably just pissed off at Nvidia because they're down $200,000.

Bottom line the bulk of the market doesn't care about 3DMark. It's the pseudo video card experts who sit in front of their PC either posting their pearls of wisdom that they read at another forum pretending they're a programmer. They're the minority, why cater to them? Screw 'em.

Hopefully 3DMark will be gone soon.
evilangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-03, 06:02 PM   #12
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Wow, you mean Kyle & nVidia are saying the EXACT SAME THING?!?! What next, what are the odds? Can we at least see nVidia's lips moving this time when Kyle talks?
Surely you aren't insinuating that nVidia have their hand up where the sun don't shine when it comes to Kyle Bennett?