Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-11-09, 03:55 PM   #25
AireTamStrm

Default Re: 180.08 & red checkerboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
Those visual corruptions mentioned there are related to the VDPAU decoding ; a lot of videos weren't displayed properly...
nothing to do with the problem discussed in this thread.
Those ones in particular...

What I was referring to implicitly was, such anomalies were noticed. Who is to say that this isn't another effect of such? If you are implying so, how can you be so clear-cut? Do you know that these visual anomalies are not related to VDPAU decoding? If so, how do you know so? Your test case?

Please do not dismiss a possible cause without listing your own evidence, especially when a new driver feature coincides with that particular driver release.
Edit: It would be helpful if you provided a link to show the nature of those visual corruptions, as well. Thanks in advance.
AireTamStrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 04:05 PM   #26
roalter

the same with the new .29-driver, and I agree, it seems to have to do something with vertical sync. It appears that I get the full red or checkerboard red frames (both occur from time to time) when the vsync is amiss. In the old driver I don't have this issue, but it sometimes appears that a previous frame is repeated again, la A B C D E D F G H and so fort. In the new driver case, when the 'D' frame is repeated, I get the checkerboard flicker. But this is only a guess, so I don't know what really is the issue here.
I know of a patch for mplayer (which I don't know if it's in the current SVN, I only saw it mentioned on the mailing list) that addressed this flickering issue (look at this thread: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.v...er.devel/51085).
roalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 07:42 AM   #27
smury353

I just wanted to say that I no longer have the problem (with 180.22). I removed compiz, reboot and the red flashes were gone. Since then I had some problem with KDE 4.2 Factory that completely messed up my display and I had to re-install 11.1 but this time I reverted to good old kde 3. With compiz installed the problem was still there but once again removing compiz and rebooting took care of it.

edit>i just wanted to add that although compiz was installed both times, I wasn't using it. It was not enabled. I guess there must be some conflict between and the nvida driver and the compiz libraries.
smury353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 12:53 PM   #28
smury353

Angry Re: 180.08 & red checkerboard

i take it back
its back again!!
this is really starting to annoy me
Old 02-15-09, 10:31 AM   #29
Nait

Default Re: 180.* & red checkerboard

Firstly I would like to ask..is this forum correct place to report a bug? I found http://developer.nvidia.com/page/reg...r_program.html but it's for developers only..

anyway I can confirm red checker board on 180.22,180.27 and 180.29. It happened in both gnome and kde4.2.
GF8600GT
I can add that checker board appears and disappears even if movie is paused. I checked it with multiple movies with vlc,totem,mplayer, and dragon player. Sometimes movie gets black for a moment, so it's not only a checkerboard. Turning off vblank in nvidia settings and kwin/compiz don't help, but turning off compositing usually do(not sure, maybe always)

PS with Ubuntu 8.10 default nvidia driver(I believe it is 177.82 but I may be wrong) I had black checkerboard but occured quite rarely
My checkerboard is 100% opaque (but maybe not always, it not so easy to make a screenshot of it)

It never occurs on flash videos in browser or in avidemux(movie editor)..they are probably not gpu accelerated in any way. It also work in winXP SP3 on virtual machine(VMware player),but it is hard way to watch.

Nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-09, 10:54 AM   #30
Nait

please delete this post

Last edited by Nait; 02-15-09 at 10:56 AM. Reason: joined posts
Nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 06:47 AM   #31
torturedutopian

It happens every now and then here. Not sure what triggers it.

Ubuntu 8.10, KDE 4.2 (with compositing enabled), nvidia 8600 GTS, drivers 180.22.

It happens once in a while in kaffeine (xine), or even in flash video in firefox. Most of the time it works properly though. Anyway, I should try to disable compositing, as the 3D display gets very slow after launching & quitting a 3D app (like world of goo or any other game) when compositing is enabled...
torturedutopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 07:08 AM   #32
Fackamato
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by torturedutopian View Post
It happens every now and then here. Not sure what triggers it.

Ubuntu 8.10, KDE 4.2 (with compositing enabled), nvidia 8600 GTS, drivers 180.22.

It happens once in a while in kaffeine (xine), or even in flash video in firefox. Most of the time it works properly though. Anyway, I should try to disable compositing, as the 3D display gets very slow after launching & quitting a 3D app (like world of goo or any other game) when compositing is enabled...

Try with the latest driver. If it still doesn't work, please provide a bug report.
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-09, 07:23 AM   #33
torturedutopian

I wonder if the issue is not due to an external mythtv repository that supplied its own version of libvdpau...

I removed this & reinstalled the latest driver. Works so far. (but the issue was not occuring systematically)

Edit : well, it happened again. Disabled compositing and it came back to normal.
Old 02-17-09, 03:22 PM   #34
smury353

I think I have discovered something. The red flashes (i dont get checkerboard) are, at least for me, linked to amarok (packman version). When amarok is running the flashes are present. After closing amarok the flashes are gone (with both kaffeine and vlc). I've repeated this several times and after a reboot. I had set composite to 'off' in xorg.conf but that didnt seem to make a difference. I will switch it back on and see what happens.
I'm running opensuse 11.1 with kde 3.5 and 180.22 drivers
Could someone please check this?
Old 02-19-09, 04:58 AM   #35
torturedutopian

Hmm, indeed, one minute ago, I had the red checkerboard + red flashes in Kaffeine. Amarok was paused. I quitted Amarok and the flashes disappeared.

However, it also occurs once in a while when I don't have Amarok running. One clue maybe : Amarok has an animated tray icon.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to KDE 4.2.1 and further nvidia drivers, as I still feel performance is not very good.
Old 02-19-09, 06:45 AM   #36
smury353

Could it be something to do with xine?
I have both Kaffeine and amarok using it.
But that wouldnt explain the problem appearing in mplayer which i dont think uses xine.