Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-18-09, 07:09 AM   #25
Haggy

Default Re: Asus M3N78 Pro with igp geforce 8300 woes on 64 bit ubuntu

No problem, it depends a bit on what distro / boot manager you're using, but for ubuntu you have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, find the line that says "defoptions=..." and add pci=nomsi to that line (seperated by a space). then run sudo update-grub. You might want to have a look at the ubuntu wiki for GRUB/menu.lst.
Haggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-09, 09:13 AM   #26
zombie woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggy View Post
No problem, it depends a bit on what distro / boot manager you're using, but for ubuntu you have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, find the line that says "defoptions=..." and add pci=nomsi to that line (seperated by a space). then run sudo update-grub. You might want to have a look at the ubuntu wiki for GRUB/menu.lst.
Thanks, it is grub I'm using. I'll give it whirl tonight.
zombie woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-09, 03:26 AM   #27
zombie woof

Uprgraded to the latest graphics driver and modified menu.lst to add pci-nomsi. My installation still just hangs with blinking quite cursor in the top left hand corner of the screen. Boots ok in recovery mode using VESA driver.

I think I will try the latest Ubuntu version live CD and see if that will run. Any other suggestions are much appreciated.
zombie woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-09, 12:22 PM   #28
tmelhiser

I've been running this board for about 6 months with no issues. However, I became interested in this thread and took a look at my system interrupts.

I noticed the same results for the interrupt placement all of you are seeing, but without any of the problems. This system has been rock solid.

So I started investigating. The BIOS version I am running is 0403. So I opted to look at the latest versions.

Looking at ASUS's site, I see that there have been quite a few releases. Most of them adding support for new processors. The latest version being 0801. But one caught my attention Version 0603:

Code:
 Description  	0603 BIOS for M3N78 Pro
1. Improve system performance when using AM2 CPU.
2. Resolve system freezing problem when using certain memory.
I opted to go straight to 0801 and restarted the system. Instantly I started seeing the same results as you guys. System freezing an all around bad things.

I went back to 0403, and all has been running very smoothly again.

Good luck,

-T
tmelhiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-09, 02:57 PM   #29
zkmyth

tmelhiser:

That is very interesting, I had wondered about something along those lines. I'm note sure if I tried 0403. I have had some stability issues since I bought it last summer. I did think that things got worse but I have messed with so many things that it could have been something else.

I will probably try out 0403 next time I encounter an issue.

If you are willing mess around with your setup can your try and enable MSI for the nvidia module. I would be very curious to know if it will run with that bios. If you this try run glxgears once you are logged in to make the system "use" the gpu.

As a side note I had encountered a bad bios flash with this board. The bios has a sort of failsafe mode. Once I installed a video card (pci I don't have any pcie to try ) and created a dos floppy with the bios and afudos.exe I could reflash the bios even though it was toast.
zkmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 07:23 AM   #30
Qwerted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmelhiser View Post
I went back to 0403, and all has been running very smoothly again.
For me, bios versions 0603 and later are quite stable. And it looks like system is running faster (comparing to older bios versions).
Old 05-23-09, 08:15 AM   #31
Haggy

Unfortunately it seems i got the sata error once again with 180.51 (but only once in ~24hours). I'm still using pci=nomsi as this also fixes S3 mode on this board. Now back at 185.19 and no sata errors yet.
Haggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 03:01 AM   #32
udippel

Hi, guys, I have to report a new record: 5 days of uptime on this box (Asus M3N78 PRO and IGP 8300 with the vanilla Ubuntu-driver, though with my partially disabled 2D-3D-acceleration (discussed elsewhere).
I read the kernel messages yet another time, and found the mysterious
"Please enable the IOMMU option in the BIOS setup" like so many before me. Only, I didn't rely on parameters to pass to the kernel, but trying to find that dreaded IOMMU-setting in the kernel. Here it is, labelled vastly different:
Advanced->CPU-Configuration->DRAM Configuration->Memory Hole Remapping.
Once disabled, the kernel warning disappears, and I had those record-breaking 5 days of uptime; as mentioned, without much of 2D-3D. But still, here it is more than double of my previous record. And the 5 days didn't finish with a crash, but with me rebooting to enable 2D-3D yet another time. Let's see ... .
At least, if you get the same kernel message, you can find here how to get rid of it.

Uwe
udippel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-09, 03:21 AM   #33
udippel

Quote:
Originally Posted by udippel View Post
Advanced->CPU-Configuration->DRAM Configuration->Memory Hole Remapping.
Once disabled, the kernel warning disappears, and I had those record-breaking 5 days of uptime; as mentioned, without much of 2D-3D. But still, here it is more than double of my previous record. And the 5 days didn't finish with a crash, but with me rebooting to enable 2D-3D yet another time. Let's see ... .
14 days later: Yes, this really changed much! I did have 2 freezes, not crashes, when I could ssh into it in both cases and reboot. And 2 times X dying and coming back with the logon screen.
There is still some work to be done, that is for sure, but with the 180.60 it seems that one can make use of the system in a somewhat reasonable manner.
udippel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-09, 11:02 PM   #34
jbarrett1205

Hi,

This is sort of a tutorial post on what I have learned about the Asus M3N78 Pro and stability problem on my own system in the last few days...

I have had stability problems with the board when I first bought it in February - I kept having freeze-up problems with X with whatever Nvidia driver version was current at the time, and the fix at that time was to download the beta 185.xx series driver and that "seemed" to solve my problems for a while at least. Since then I have had 1 or 2 random freeze-ups, but nothing to raise any flags - until I installed a new UPS on my systems this past weekend and hooked it up to one of my USB ports. Then the stability problems returned in full force.

My symptoms:
The system will start up and seem to run fine, and then randomly, when doing something with the mouse (the mouse is always moving when the failure occurs), the mouse will freeze. The X system will still be running fine, but the mouse is toast. Sometimes the keyboard goes haywire as well, but most of the time the keyboard is still functional and I can alt-tab between windows and everything seem to be OK - except that the mouse is non-functional. What also happens is that the USB bus in general goes a bit haywire. Communication with other devices on USB is flaky, and connections to other USB devices (like my UPS) are unreliable and get dropped and garbled. Also, any attempt to restart the X server (ctl-alt-backspace, kill -HUP, kill -9, anything) will result in a hard hang of X - though the system itself is always still stable (all network services continue to run fine) and I can get into it from ssh and force a shutdown.

My Solution Process:
- I tried updating my BIOS to the 1003 version - things got more unstable
- I tried downgrading to the 0504 version - less unstable, but not stable
- I tried moving around things on the USB ports so that the interrupt that is shared between the nvidia driver and the usb3 hub (on my system) had nothing attached to it (by examining the output of lsusb). That didn't work
- I tried enabling MSI with pci=msi (it is disabled by default in my kernel) to try to massage the interrupt sharing so that nvidia driver got its own interrupt. This was quite difficult on my system since the USB drivers are built into my kernel and therefore they get allocated interrupts first (before kernel modules get loaded), so each of the 4 USB hubs takes 1 of the 4 available interrupts. I was trying to use the modprobe "blacklist" technique from a previous post in this thread to prevent the USB drivers from loading before the other kernel modules, but that doesn't work with stuff that is built into the kernel (not a module). I tried many combinations of kernel parameters and BIOS adjustments - finally I had to turn off the USB 2.0 controller in the BIOS (disabling 2 of the 4 USB hubs) and blacklist the snd_hda_intel driver (could had shut it off in BIOS, but didn't) to get the nvidia driver to get it own interrupt. End result - failure, system still completely unstable, plus I had no sound and no USB 2.0 ports.
- I also tried messing around with the pci=nommconf kernel parameter in the above case to see if a buggy BIOS might have been the culprit - this had no effect

In the end, what I discovered was the reason that the USB bus seemed to go haywire. After one the "mouse freeze" problems, I sat and watched the output of "cat /proc/interrupts" on a still functioning terminal (keyboard was still OK). What I witnessed was that the USB hub that had the mouse on it was registering about 2000-3000 interrupts per second (the cumulative interrupt count grew very rapidly to several hundred thousand in the few minutes that I watched it). These continued to occur even after I unplugged all of my USB devices from the system. Conclusion, the hub was getting "stuck" in some sort of interrupt loop that was causing stability problems throughout the USB subsystem.

My solution:
- Turn on the "Plug and Play OS" option in the BIOS, and
- Disable the legacy USB support in the BIOS.
- I also and still ensuring that the usb hub that shares an interrupt with the nvidia driver does not have anything connected to it.

I'm not sure if the "Plug and Play" option actually did anything (except to force the Linux kernel to do it's own initialization of hardware - which it does anyway to the best of my understanding), but I am pretty sure that the "Legacy USB" option was causing major headaches for me. I did the 2 changes at the same time and have not tried to undo 1 or the other yet.

Other than there two BIOS changes, I am not using any special kernel parameters or any fancy tricks. I only wish it hadn't taken me 3 days to try it. My system seem to be back to "relative" stability - I don't know quite how stable yet since it has only been a few hours, but it was freezing every few minutes (of use) for the last 3 days.

I hope that this helps someone.

My System:
Fedora 10 - x86_64
Kernel: 2.6.27.24-170
Asus M3N78 Pro
6 GB RAM

Regards,
Jay
jbarrett1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 11:45 AM   #35
excid3

I'm using an Asus M4N78 Pro and experiencing the same issues on Debian and Ubuntu. When I get back home I'm going to try a few things and see what happens. Thanks for all your progress!
excid3 is offline   Reply With Quote