Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-06-08, 09:33 AM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Dish Network VIP722 - transfer from DVR to PC?

3 days ago Dish Network stopped by my house to replace my older HD DVR for the new VIP722.

I noticed that it has ethernet port and 2 USB. Ethernet can only be used to replace the phone line.

Is it possible to use the USB ports to transfer recorded SD/HD steams to PC?
Has anyone tried this?
Old 11-07-08, 04:12 AM   #2
Rakeesh

Default Re: Dish Network VIP722 - transfer from DVR to PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
3 days ago Dish Network stopped by my house to replace my older HD DVR for the new VIP722.

I noticed that it has ethernet port and 2 USB. Ethernet can only be used to replace the phone line.

Is it possible to use the USB ports to transfer recorded SD/HD steams to PC?
Has anyone tried this?
I used to do this kind of thing a long time ago, only with tivo DVR's rather than dishnet DVR's. You aren't going to do that with the USB ports I believe, at least not without doing some very elaborate hacking, and afaik for dish dvr's there are no public hacks in existence that will do this (tivo is another story however.)

But it is nonetheless possible to extract the video streams from the hard disk of a dish pvr. You're looking for a program called dishrip. I myself have never used this particular program though, as I've never had a dish pvr, so I can't really say anything else beyond that.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 07:29 AM   #3
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

so basically I have to remove the HDD from the machine?

Haven't tried it with VIP722, but with the previous HD DVR I had, I did try it.

weird thing is that when HDD was connected to the PC, it wouldn't turn on, it wouldn't even spin up.
Old 11-15-08, 03:46 AM   #4
Zeta

I have not personally done this. I have read how to do it.

With the USB port you can pay to have an external HD hooked up to the USB port. Its like a one time $30 or $50 charge to enable this feature (I don't remember the exact cost).

When you hook up the Hard Drive it will tell you that it needs to be formatted. So you will loose any data currently on the HD. I think it currently supports a max of something like 500gig. So it formats the HD in a linux file format. Then you can transfer anything from the DVR to the HD or set it to record right to the external HD.

To transfer the files from the HD to your PC you just need to be able to read that standard Linux file format. If you have a PC with Linux your already all set. Apparently for windows there is some additional software that you need that will allow windows to read the linux partition.

Last problem is the saved DVR files are in a proprietary Dish video format. There are programs out on the web that will convert the file type to a standard video format. I have not used any so I cannot recommend them or verify if they work.

Maybe this will help a bit.
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote