Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-22-08, 01:25 PM   #1
bazz

Default Resize Desktop

I am hooking up my computer to my TV. The problem I have is the output from the computer is to big for the screen of my TV. Is there a way of doing a crop? I dont think that it the correct term, however I know the Nvidia driver for windows has a tool where you can adjust the size of the display so it fits. Is there a way I can do this on a Ubuntu 8.10 machine?

Is there a file on the windows machine I can take the output from and add it to my xorg??

Is there a way of doing this on my linux machine?
bazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-08, 01:32 PM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Crop screen

You don't give much details but I guess you are using twinview in clone mode. You should set up twinview in 'extended desktop' mode. When you start X in this mode, the drivers offer 'Xinerama' and that X extension informs programs like your window manager or media player (if it has xinerama support) about the dimensions of the screen on which the window is shown. When you make it fullscreen it will fill the whole TV.

Note that when you configure X using nvidia-settings, it won't add xinerama info to the current X session. You have to save an xorg.conf and restart X for that info to get added.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-08, 01:50 PM   #3
bazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
You don't give much details but I guess you are using twinview in clone mode. You should set up twinview in 'extended desktop' mode. When you start X in this mode, the drivers offer 'Xinerama' and that X extension informs programs like your window manager or media player (if it has xinerama support) about the dimensions of the screen on which the window is shown. When you make it fullscreen it will fill the whole TV.

Note that when you configure X using nvidia-settings, it won't add xinerama info to the current X session. You have to save an xorg.conf and restart X for that info to get added.
I'm using a zalman HD160XT (HTPC) So I have the one small monitor....I dont know if that tells ya anything.

What I would like to get is my TV as the main screen, so all my menus and everything are on that as default.

Is there a way to set up 2 different resolutions, one for the small screen, and one for the TV?

Just to give a little more info...this is the same problem I'm having
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=703234
Old 11-24-08, 06:39 PM   #4
bazz

So I'm gonna guess that no one has a clue how to get this to work?
Old 11-24-08, 06:58 PM   #5
blargh

Your TV is overscanning. That means that it is cutting off the outer edge *intentionally* because thats what TVs do. There is no support currently for overscan compensation in the driver, but if you are *lucky*, then there may be an option *in your TV* to disable overscanning.
blargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 07:11 AM   #6
bazz

Cool...thanks for the info....I will look into that!
Old 11-27-08, 01:11 PM   #7
bazz

I'v been looking around for a solution to this, and found this here
I was wondering if there is anyone out there that could help me set this up? Looks like it could be a solution!
Old 11-28-08, 12:25 PM   #8
bazz

Never mind...I did this to fix it
Once again blargh...thanks again for the info...that helped a lot!