Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-30-08, 12:29 PM   #1
jcornwall

Default TwinView / iPlayer incompatibility

The web-based BBC iPlayer appears to have problems with TwinView.

Switching a video to fullscreen mode correctly opens a fullscreen window on the screen on which the video was playing, but the video content is not stretched correctly to fill the area. The playing controls cover the full screen width but the video itself is heavily cropped. (I haven't been able to grab a screenshot of this because Flash on Linux is very finnicky about pressing keys.)

I suspect this is a geometry related problem. If I switch off TwinView in NVIDIA Settings then the video correctly scales to a single screen. All other Flash applications I have tried implement fullscreen correctly with TwinView turned on, so it points to a bug in the iPlayer application itself.

Is this a reasonable assessment and worth reporting to the BBC?

Setup is dual 1920x1200 monitors, Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10, 177.80 drivers and Adobe Flash 10. Compiz on or off makes no difference.
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.bz2 (36.4 KB, 96 views)
jcornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 03:57 PM   #2
RazZziel

Default Re: TwinView / iPlayer incompatibility

I can't test it because I'm not in the UK, but a similar problem happens with the new Youtube player, while the old one keeps working fine. The problem happens both with TwinView and Xinerama.
RazZziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 01:37 PM   #3
breakerfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcornwall View Post
The web-based BBC iPlayer appears to have problems with TwinView.

Switching a video to fullscreen mode correctly opens a fullscreen window on the screen on which the video was playing, but the video content is not stretched correctly to fill the area. The playing controls cover the full screen width but the video itself is heavily cropped. (I haven't been able to grab a screenshot of this because Flash on Linux is very finnicky about pressing keys.)

I suspect this is a geometry related problem. If I switch off TwinView in NVIDIA Settings then the video correctly scales to a single screen. All other Flash applications I have tried implement fullscreen correctly with TwinView turned on, so it points to a bug in the iPlayer application itself.

Is this a reasonable assessment and worth reporting to the BBC?

Setup is dual 1920x1200 monitors, Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10, 177.80 drivers and Adobe Flash 10. Compiz on or off makes no difference.
I just want to share that I've come across the exact same problem.

I recently added a second display to my setup and now videos aren't scaling up to fill a single screen. I came to the same conclusion as you; I believe that there is some code being used that detects the user's total resolution (for scaling the video), however, the desktop resolution won't match the output resolution of fullscreen flash (as it fills only a single display).

I've just made a posting on the technical discussion board at BBC (I couldn't find an email contact on the iplayer site). They're moderated messages, so it won't be online yet - but hopefully there will be a way to get this message across to the people it needs to reach.

My setup: Gentoo, Flash 10.0 r12, Nvidia drivers 177.80, dual 1920x1200 displays.

Here's the BBC message board: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbiplayer/F7331805

[edit]
I don't suppose anybody has the ability to test the flash interface on the iplayer site using Windows?
breakerfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-08, 07:40 AM   #4
d_u_s_t

I made a posting about this a few months ago in the youtube forum:

http://help.youtube.com/group/youtub...22237?hl=en_US

there is also a screenshot (1st screen of my twinview-setup) of the problem
d_u_s_t is offline   Reply With Quote