Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-13-09, 01:39 AM   #25
jusst

Default Re: VDPAU deinterlacing framerate

Actually temporal deinterlacing on 1080i works with 9300 series and 8400gs series. Temporal spatial works with SD content on all cards we tested so far..
jusst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 01:50 AM   #26
cthulhu
Great Old One

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusst View Post
Actually temporal deinterlacing on 1080i works with 9300 series and 8400gs series. Temporal spatial works with SD content on all cards we tested so far..
OK, that sounds promising. How big is the difference between TD and TSD in image quality?
And furthermore, at what frame and bit rates have your tested? I mostly interested in 1080i 45Mb/s and upwards, so I can play BluRay movies with the best possible image quality.
Laptop: Asus U6V, Core2Duo P8400, 3GB DDR2, 9300M GS
OS on all: Gentoo Linux

Bought a computer bundled with windows? Don't want to use windows? Demand a refund!
cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 02:14 AM   #27
jusst

I think temporal spatial is quite a bit better, but temporal already gives very good results. (better than tvtime algorithms, imho).
about bitrate: I don't think the bitrate has any influence on deinterlacing, as the decoding is done in video-processors while the deinterlacing is done in the gl pipe. maybe someone from nvidia can confirm that?
so as long as the video processor is capable of decoding the video the deinterlacing should work...
Old 01-13-09, 10:09 AM   #28
Stephen Warren

Quote:
The resolution of the clip will make a big difference, since that directly affects how much work the algorithms have to do. Hence, it's not too much of a surprise that SD works everywhere empirically.

I suspect that even though 1080i temporal works fine on the cards/clips you've tested, a lot depends on what other work the GPU is doing, the exact card configuration e.g. memory configuration etc. As always, your mileage may vary!
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 10:16 AM   #29
jusst

Of course the resolutions matters. I did not doubt it. But as the video decoding itself shouldn't cause load on the gl part of the card it would be no difference if the stream was encoded with 40mbit/s or 20mbit/s.
My note that temporal works on HD is the result of tests by many xine vdpau users. Still running other glx stuff the same time causes trouble, yes... But when you are only watching a video temporal runs absolutely reliable for all cards we tested except 8200mgpus.
Old 01-13-09, 01:46 PM   #30
Vorgus

So it seems to come down to 2 options for plugin cards. The 8400gs and the 9300gs both of which use the same gpu and seem to use the same memory. So other then sone 8400gs's using the g86 instead of the g98, what advantage does one have over the other? I find 3 8400gs cards and 1 9300gs.

Asus:
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?mo...=6&l3=551&l4=0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121235
Video Memory DDR2 512MB
Engine Clock 567 MHz
Memory Clock 800 MHz ( 400 MHz DDR2 ) (Newegg says 1000Mhz which is likely an error)

MSI (Is this one of those G86 versions?):
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...12EH&class=vga
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127342
459MHz Core
512MB GDDR2 533MHz Memory

Gigabyte (Looks like the gpu is overclocked and with the problems Nvidia has been having with bump failures during heat stress..):
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...=GV-NX84S512HP
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125242
Core clock 650MHz
Stream Processors 16
Memory Clock 800MHz
Memory Size 512MB
Memory Type GDDR2

Then the 9300GS. Only option here seems to be one made by Axle and sold mainly on Ebay by several userid's with nearly identical adds:
http://axle3d.hk/e/product/product_detail.asp?sku=77
http://shop.healthhaven.com/b_NVIDIA...i-bj10-0b.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nvidia-Geforce-9...QQcmdZViewItem

On the 9300gs, I wonder how it would do if the fan was replaced with a 3rd party heatpipe heatsink if there even is one for that card.
Vorgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 10:56 AM   #31
essele

This is an interesting discussion - I"m especially interested in using the GeForce 9300 IGP based system and was wondering whether it would have enough grunt to do the job (either the current 9300 based mini-itx systems (Zotac) or Ion when it becomes available!)

I'm also using the video as an OpenGL texture and doing some 3D transformation on it so I guess I'm going to be pushing things.

A couple of questions around this...

Has anyone been able to get temporal spacial working on the IGP9300 at 1080/50?

Is there any way of measuring how busy the GPU is, so I can gauge the impact of different ways of approaching things??

Is there any way of telling what deinterlace mode is actually being used? Stephen - you make the comment that it would drop back to Bob if you don't give it enough future/past frames, can we detect that somehow (apart from subjectively by looking at the quality?)

Many thanks,

Lee.
essele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 10:59 AM   #32
Stephen Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by essele View Post
Stephen - you make the comment that it would drop back to Bob if you don't give it enough future/past frames, can we detect that somehow (apart from subjectively by looking at the quality?)
It's a simple matter of: If you provide the required number of fields, it'll do the advanced de-interlacing. If not, it'll do bob. The required number of fields is 2 past 1 current 1 future.

Old 04-08-09, 02:06 PM   #33
LauriM

Quote:
One more question:
Am I correct assuming that when VDP_VIDEO_MIXER_FEATURE_INVERSE_TELECINE is enabled VDPAU will (before applying deinterlace algorithms) try to detect an applied 2:2 or 3:2 pulldown and recreate the original progressive frames? - So if pulldown was detected no deinterlacing algorithm will be applied afterwards?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
I believe that's the purpose of the inverse telecine algorithm, yes.
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I couldn't find a more recent discussion of this.

I've been testing VDPAU for DVB viewing, and I like the video deinterlacing quality. I'm having trouble with the pulldown detection though.

Should 2:2 pulldown be detected reliably? Are you interested in samples where this fails?

For PAL material the 2:2 pulldown detection would be really nice for quality. I know it is a difficult task even for "real" video processors - some are film biased (and cause combing with video material), others (like my previous Panasonic plasma) always assume video and lose vertical resolution with film. I'm hoping VDPAU might have some nice tricks up its sleeve and plenty of raw processing power from the NVIDIA GPU.
LauriM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-09, 02:20 PM   #34
jusst

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauriM View Post
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I couldn't find a more recent discussion of this.

I've been testing VDPAU for DVB viewing, and I like the video deinterlacing quality. I'm having trouble with the pulldown detection though.

Should 2:2 pulldown be detected reliably? Are you interested in samples where this fails?

For PAL material the 2:2 pulldown detection would be really nice for quality. I know it is a difficult task even for "real" video processors - some are film biased (and cause combing with video material), others (like my previous Panasonic plasma) always assume video and lose vertical resolution with film. I'm hoping VDPAU might have some nice tricks up its sleeve and plenty of raw processing power from the NVIDIA GPU.
With which player are you testing? - In xine we have an option to enable the telecine removal. This works quite ok here. Sometimes it seems to be a bit conservative imho, but works overall bettern than my Samsung LCD TV which often switches to filmmode, while code is actualy interlaced.
Old 04-08-09, 04:41 PM   #35
Stephen Warren

Yes, 2:2 should work fine. Examples of faliing clips might be useful.
Old 07-04-09, 06:02 PM   #36
LauriM

Took me a while to investigate this further..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
Yes, 2:2 should work fine. Examples of faliing clips might be useful.
I cut an example, but testing it I found out that it works with a more recent MPlayer. I also tried MythTV (jya's backport) and adding vdpauivtc to display profile's custom filters fixed that too.

I now have pretty, automatic 2:2 pullup. It looks like VDPAU has better deinterlacing than my Kuro. A big thumbs up to NVidia.
LauriM is offline   Reply With Quote