Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-10-09, 08:51 PM   #109
bendley

Default Re: 180.* graphical corruption and freezes system

well this sucks.
How can Nvidia just ignore this problem?
They released a driver marked as stable with a problem that has existed since the first beta.
The corruption just happend to me again , although the behaviour seems kinda different than before.
It happens less frequent and my computer didn't freeze on me, but some files got lost on my harddrive right after it.

I'm really annoyed by Nvidia, worst thing is i can't even switch to a ATI card because it's a laptop so i'm basically stuck and left to the mercy of the Nvidia Devs.

I'm using a gentoo AMD64 system with KDE 4.1.3 on a Zepto Znote 6224W with :
Core2Duo T7250 @ 2ghz
2GB DDR2 Ram
Mobile Geforce 8600GT 512MB
bendley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 12:10 AM   #110
Chauncellor

I've been trying to help someone on the ubuntu forums get their 9500 GT to simply work with the new "stable" drivers, but all that happens is the screen flickers and dies. Anyone else having this problem? I was thinking of getting that particular GPU, but I'm having second thoughts.
Chauncellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 02:01 PM   #111
raphoun

I have noticed that I have this trouble almost only on battery.
Is it happen to you only on battery mode? Or on AC mode too?
raphoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 02:34 PM   #112
rockman1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauncellor View Post
I've been trying to help someone on the ubuntu forums get their 9500 GT to simply work with the new "stable" drivers, but all that happens is the screen flickers and dies. Anyone else having this problem? I was thinking of getting that particular GPU, but I'm having second thoughts.
mmh.. i guess everyone in this thread had this problem (including me of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphoun View Post
I have noticed that I have this trouble almost only on battery.
Is it happen to you only on battery mode? Or on AC mode too?
I use battery mode very few times, so no, it's not related to battery.
rockman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 02:51 PM   #113
raphoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman1981 View Post

I use battery mode very few times, so no, it's not related to battery.
Nevertheless I have never freezes on AC and just few minutes ago I try to watch a movie on battery and my laptop froze after few seconds (I was switching between firefox and the movie with alt-tab just when it froze, compiz was enabled)
raphoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 03:01 PM   #114
rockman1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphoun View Post
Nevertheless I have never freezes on AC and just few minutes ago I try to watch a movie on battery and my laptop froze after few seconds (I was switching between firefox and the movie with alt-tab just when it froze, compiz was enabled)
This issue seems to have different "triggers", and some of them are more accelerated then others.

I noticed that in my system compiz is much more slow, and less reactive to this bug. Try using kwin from kde4 instead, the last time i had a 20 minutes session with compiz without any problem, and switching to kwin suddenly triggered the bug.
Old 01-11-09, 06:42 PM   #115
Duran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielW View Post
Yes, same problem here with 8600m-GT in Dell Vostro 1500.

2 GB RAM.

Argh, either I use the 177 drivers with poor performance or the 180 drivers fast (at least a lot faster) but random crashes and no working suspend to ram :-(
oh ow.. I have a vostro 1500 with a 8600M GT..and i'm running 180.16 (.18 & .22 cause low-gfx mode)...but haven't seen the corruption yet:O
Duran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 06:54 AM   #116
fakbill

Is there a way out of this problem?
Can it be reproduced by NVIDIA??
What should we test to help?
I can provide NVIDIA devela with all the tests cases / logs they want with a G8600M GT, 2.6.27-9 faom kubnutu (and kde4.2).
Please just tell us how we could help. I haven't tried so far to compile a 2.6.28 to see if it helps. Can someone tell me if he can see corruption with a 2.6.28 ?
Looks like it is the case with the current git 2.6.29.
fakbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-09, 06:57 AM   #117
rockman1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakbill View Post
Is there a way out of this problem?
I haven't tried so far to compile a 2.6.28 to see if it helps. Can someone tell me if he can see corruption with a 2.6.28 ?
Looks like it is the case with the current git 2.6.29.
I did. Same result.
It seems there's no way out, i tried almost every possible combination: different kernel, different kernel configs (PAE/NOPAE, mtrr, memory configurations, and so on), different xorg.conf, vblank sync on/off, i tried even to avoid starting some "suspected" applications, like gtk ones (someone suspected about a gtk-qt theme) or skype.
What i didn't try is an older release (like 2.6.26). I will soon, probably, but i'm not expecting great changes.
Another thing seemed to work: disable composite. Disabling composite in kwin actually didn't work, and i still had problems, but forcing the extension as disabled in xorg.conf seemed to work (again.. SEEMED.. this bug seems to be really impredictable).
But of course, this is not a solution, is just a workaround.
Old 01-12-09, 09:17 AM   #118
tld

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman1981 View Post
Another note: psychok9 posted that he had this problem on 177.xxx too.
I can't exactly confirm this: on 177.xxx i have no corruption at all, but i can confirm hat there's something similar too: i have the same "screen lockup" that i have in 180.xxx when it goes corrupting.. the only difference is that the screen is just clear, and that in 180.xxx when it goes locking, sometimes it doesn't resume at all.
I haven't even tried the 180.* driver yet, and I don't know if this is related...but I just had to downgrade the nvidia driver on my MythTV frontend from 177.82 to 173.14.15. Without fail, if my opengl xscreensaver kicked in with a program in MythTV paused, it would peg the cpu and require a remote kill.

At that point X couldn't be restarted with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace either. I also noticed that it would sometimes lock up other processes. I had a remote terminal open with the top command completely lock up during this for example. Like you said, I had no screen corruption. It would just go black and then lock up when the screen saver kicked in.

I can reproduce that one at will...it happens every time.

Tom
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 11:14 AM   #119
madmage

I think this needs a BUMP and I think it will need a BUMP every day, until nvidia decide to solve this problem... instead of going OpenGL 3, presentation APIs or whatever...

What I see here is a EIGHT PAGES thread of people giving logs, information, ideas, etc. and ONLY ONE answer from nvidia

I just want to be able to use my card properly (I mean: use the money I payed) before it gets old. Is it so demanding?
madmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 12:38 PM   #120
tld

You're not kidding...this is looking pretty grim. I actually haven't used the 180.* drivers, only because they're not in the Gentoo portage tree just yet, but I'm experiencing very similar lockups with 177.82 and had to downgrade to 173.14.15. I described it (and attached a bug report) here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126197

Since it wasn't with 180.* I didn't want to report it here. I'll try the 180.* drivers when they're added to Gentoo portage, but I'm not looking forward to it. I risked my drives with three total lockups generating that bug report.

I'm not thinking to much of the recent nvidia drivers at this point. I think nvidia needs to back burner VDPAU and everything else until we get some stable drivers.

EDIT: Just a note...my lockups with the 177.82 drivers seem to be specifically with opengl xscreensavers activating while xv video is paused (MythTV in my case).

Tom
tld is offline   Reply With Quote