Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-13-09, 11:57 AM   #121
bendley

Default Re: 180.* graphical corruption and freezes system

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld View Post
You're not kidding...this is looking pretty grim. I actually haven't used the 180.* drivers, only because they're not in the Gentoo portage tree just yet, but I'm experiencing very similar lockups with 177.82 and had to downgrade to 173.14.15. I described it (and attached a bug report) here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126197

Since it wasn't with 180.* I didn't want to report it here. I'll try the 180.* drivers when they're added to Gentoo portage, but I'm not looking forward to it. I risked my drives with three total lockups generating that bug report.

I'm not thinking to much of the recent nvidia drivers at this point. I think nvidia needs to back burner VDPAU and everything else until we get some stable drivers.

EDIT: Just a note...my lockups with the 177.82 drivers seem to be specifically with opengl xscreensavers activating while xv video is paused (MythTV in my case).

Tom
I am using the 180.** drivers on gentoo.
I can give you the ebuilds for the driver and nvidia-settings if you want to.
bendley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 12:02 PM   #122
madmage

I do not know if this is of any help for the DEVELOPERS, but after the third time that "the thing" happened, I couldn't have the kdm again. I attached the Xorg.log, if you can understand something from it.

This behavior can somehow be related to the harddisk stop working suddenly, after "the thing" happened.

In the meanwhile, I reverted to 177.82, it seems more stable, although falling back to the noisy fan again (solved somewhere in 180.xx) is very annoying.

I hope this silence and lack of support by nVidia part is a specific decision of nVidia heads. Otherwise, there's something wrong in their behavior.

I think that the one who started the thread, should change the title in something more attracting and meaningful, like "You have a BUG in your drivers that prevent us to work properly, do something". At least remove the 180.*, since the problem seems to be exacerbated by the new drivers, but some of us found it also in 177.*.
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 Xorg.0.log.bz2 (2.1 KB, 136 views)
madmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 12:29 PM   #123
madmage

Reverting to 177.82 did'nt work: now "the thing" is black screen. And the same black screen after a reboot (the operating system seemed to load, but black screen all time).

Since I was using 177.82 without this problem for weeks, I can conclude that the new driver DAMAGED my video card. This is a behavior noted also by others in this thread.

And still... NO ANSWER FROM YOUR PART.

I think that so far we all, guys, have been too polite and quite. This should stop, in some way, I am losing time and work, and this will be payed by someone, somehow.

Now I disabled also the compositing. This, of course, IS NOT a solution: if I payed for a Quadro card, I want to use a Quadro card, not less. I just hope that it makes me work.
Old 01-13-09, 12:48 PM   #124
fakbill

Arf...we could be less polite but it would not change anything from a technical point of view.
It really looks like a race...and I know how long it can be to understand where the issue come from. Ok but in this case it is not my job. It is nvidia one.

The main problem I have is that we have *no* news from nvidia.
We have even offer nvidia to test whatever they want --> no answer.

NVIDIA devel: Please at least tell us if you can reproduce this problem. I'm running the nv driver. At least it is very stable but I have a laptop with a nice 3D card, not with an very old 2D card.

**please provide us with some feedback**
fakbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 12:54 PM   #125
madmage

I collected some threads with problems, still unresolved in betas (the first two may or may not be related to this one):

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118561
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123313
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...=124153&page=3
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126003

Nvidia, how could you release a STABLE version (will it arrive to automatic updates of distributions? the ubuntu distro is trying to upgrade the nvidia drivers right now) with these problems still unresolved?

I will keep on bumping this thread until someone from nvidia answer something. I see that they ARE answering to other threads, so they are looking at the forum.
Old 01-13-09, 01:24 PM   #126
madmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakbill View Post
Arf...we could be less polite but it would not change anything from a technical point of view.
It really looks like a race...and I know how long it can be to understand where the issue come from. Ok but in this case it is not my job. It is nvidia one.
I definitely agree with you... I do not want to do crazy unpolite things... I am just saying that since waiting it's not a good action, since they are ignoring, we should do something different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakbill View Post
The main problem I have is that we have *no* news from nvidia.
We have even offer nvidia to test whatever they want --> no answer.

NVIDIA devel: Please at least tell us if you can reproduce this problem. I'm running the nv driver. At least it is very stable but I have a laptop with a nice 3D card, not with an very old 2D card.

**please provide us with some feedback**
This is the reason for which I am very angry. They are ignoring us... and releasing "stable" drivers, like if we weren't saying anything.

I choosed and PAYED for a 3D card, and I want to use a 3D card.
Old 01-13-09, 02:24 PM   #127
RolandH
NVIDIA Corporation

We filed bug 504949, and I've been trying to reproduce the different symptoms that you're seeing but so far, I have not been successful. In order to investigate, we'll need to reproduce the problem first. Are there a set of steps that can reproduce one or more of the symptoms reliably? Thanks.
RolandH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 02:38 PM   #128
madmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandH View Post
We filed bug 504949, and I've been trying to reproduce the different symptoms that you're seeing but so far, I have not been successful. In order to investigate, we'll need to reproduce the problem first. Are there a set of steps that can reproduce one or more of the symptoms reliably? Thanks.
Unfortunately, it seems that this bug becomes more probable with long using. Anyway, after the first time, it presents more often (sounds like a hardware damage).

I can tell you mine: Quadro NVS 135M on a Dell Laptop D630. Use KDE 4.1 (it seems that KDE is more prone to this problem), activate Advanced Desktop Effects. The only two effects that I have enabled are Desktop Grid and Present Windows, but I think that the more you use, the more probable is the problem to appear. Also opening more than one instance of glxgears helps.

Moreover, it seems that every time the bug has appeared, the video card was about to do a very large update on the screen (I tried with switching tabs on Firefox, for example).

If you read this thread, there are other people telling their story and their way to reliably reproduce the symptoms. Finally: I used 180.22 driver for more than a week before this problem started (today) to happen. Now it appears within 10 minutes from the boot (it seems to make me work disabling Advanced Desktop Effects and reverting to 177.82).

Good to hear from you, please do not disappear again.

Please anyone that has a more reliable way to reproduce the problem (more than those already listed in this thread), let them know.

Old 01-13-09, 03:19 PM   #129
fakbill

Thanks a lot for this answer!

Nobody has found a deterministic way to trigger this bug so far
If you use kwin from kde4 with effects enable, you will experience this bug...I would say at least once per day. The problem is that it can twice in a 10min timeframe.

You have many users ready to provide you with nice reports each time we see this bug. Please tell us what you woudl need?
Standard logs are not that useful. Maybe we should reboot at level 3 only (without X) and then run nvidia-bug-report.sh ?
Or maybe we should not reboot and ssh to this machine with the corrupted display and look at...at what??

To put it in a short way: We are ready to help you. Please tell us how
fakbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 03:47 PM   #130
diegoocampo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandH View Post
Are you trying to reproduce the symptoms with the right hardware??, the bug seems to be related with some laptop graphic cards only, if you have the right combination of hardware software to activate the bug (like in my case) don't worry, you will see the problem quite soon, just few minutes, usually no more of 10, and at least in my computer it happens with gnome or kde4 and with or without composite.

My computer is exactly a samsung r70 a009, my graphics card is Geforce 6600M GS and i am running ubuntu hardy 64-bit, with the last kernel update, i had this bug with any 180.* version of the nvidia driver.

Please stay with us, and give us feedback, i can not use linux right now! this is for me almost like not to have computer because i am a linux user, i need linux to work. Previous versions of the driver works well, but i can not upgrade my system with the latest qt4 programs.
diegoocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 04:02 PM   #131
madmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoocampo View Post
Are you trying to reproduce the symptoms with the right hardware??, the bug seems to be related with some laptop graphic cards only, if you have the right combination of hardware software to activate the bug (like in my case) don't worry, you will see the problem quite soon, just few minutes, usually no more of 10, and at least in my computer it happens with gnome or kde4 and with or without composite.
1) does the problem presented soon after the upgrading to 180.xx ?
2) what happens now if you revert back to 177.xx ?

I am using now 177.76 (due to a fan bug of next 177.xx) without compositing and it does not crash... at least, up to now...

does not crash, but is like a VESA card...
Old 01-13-09, 04:09 PM   #132
diegoocampo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmage View Post
1) does the problem presented soon after the upgrading to 180.xx ?
2) what happens now if you revert back to 177.xx ?

I am using now 177.76 (due to a fan bug of next 177.xx) without compositing and it does not crash... at least, up to now...
With 177.x no problem (related with this bug) at all, with any of the 180.x drivers i have been always having this problem, and yes, just after upgrading to 180.x I started to have problems with it, since the first days, and always after only few minutes of working with my computer (usually i am surfing in the internet with firefox, in fact the in the first moment I blamed flash player!).

If i go back to 177.x i don't have this bug, also i don't have it with the nv or nouveau driver.
diegoocampo is offline   Reply With Quote