Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-02-08, 11:03 PM   #121
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: GTA IV PC Official Thread

Jesus... F'ing... Christ...

WHAT IS WITH THE WHINING????

As someone who played the Xbox 360 version extensively, and the PS3 version for a weekend, I PROMISE all you the PC version is STUNNING compared. It looks 10 times better or more. MUCH BETTER! You really need to play it on high texture settings if you can, it is worth the lower draw distance in my opinion.

All I see from PC gamers now-a-days is freakin' whining. "Crysis can't run at max on an 8800"... WAH!... "Farcry has random enemies like every other open world game ever"... WAH!... "GTA IV requires high-end hardware to max out like every other GTA game ever"... WAH!

Don't you people enjoy playing games for ****'s sake?

Anyway, performance... I think most people's problems are CPU related. I have a quad core now and am running the game at 1920x1200 on max settings except for draw distance, which it forces me to keep at 28 for some reason. I get smooooth frames, no hiccups, runs awesome. Only problem is the game NEEDS AA... someone better figure that out at some point.
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 11:09 PM   #122
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

If you say so NarcissistZero. If you say so.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 11:11 PM   #123
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
If you say so NarcissistZero. If you say so.
My word is law.

Seriously though, compared to console the game looks amazing. People who haven't played it saying otherwise is kind of silly.
Old 12-02-08, 11:47 PM   #124
JasonPC

Sounds like this game is an advertisement for why developers should use nvidia's physx. Quad cores seem to have no trouble running this but dual cores seem to be struggling. What does this game do that uses so much more processing power than the previous GTA titles? The physics look like nothing too impressive.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 11:58 PM   #125
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

It's the ring tone physics.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 12:10 AM   #126
Jonelo

Really the problem of the graphics is the aliasing especially at low and middle resolutions. Maybe is better the "ultra fog " and blur of the consoleS than the absence of AA . And those cursors up to 100 is other problem
Jonelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 12:26 AM   #127
Jonelo

Quote:
Ok, I've been pretty lenient towards the online activation of PC games lately. If it means I get to play an awesome game, I'll put up with it, and have been urging people to do the same. But this may be because I've only come across good ones so far, like Dead Space, that checks the disc once for 2 seconds then never bothers you again.

Leave it up to good old Microsoft and Rockstar to spoil that run.

GTA IV for the PC has just taken anti-piracy protection to the next level. To demonstrate, here's a step by step process on how you can start - not play- the game:

Step 1: "Tut" loudly as you are forced to agree to be part of the Rockstar Social Club; a Gamespy type program that must be installed before you can install the game.

Step 2. Install the game. It comes on 2 DVDs, taking up 16GB's of space.

Step 3: Growl loudly when asked to make a Microsoft Live account. If you haven't done so, be prepared for an arduous task in itself. Begin to cry.

Step 4: Wipe tears of frustration from eyes. Unclench jaw. Finish installing the game.

Step 5: Start crying again when you realise you must now make a Rockstar Social Club account. Do so while chanting a mantra of harsh words (language choice is optional).

Step 6: Go to email account to find validation code. See no email. Break something within arms reach.

Step 7: Ask website to resubmit code. Eventually find it in the junk folder. Consider offering Satan your soul to end the pain. Click validation link.

Step 8: Choose whether to assign your Xbox, Play Station or PC Microsoft Live account to the Rockstar Social Club. Plot assassination of Microsoft Live creator. Choose account.

Step 9: Attempt to sign into account as requested. Check watch: it's dinner time... but didn't you just eat breakfast?

Step 10: Finally finish creating Rockstar Social Club account. Sigh with wary relief. Start Social Club program.

Step 11: Speak in tongues as the program updates. Make a pot plant spontaneously combust.

Step 12: Rejoice as a big splash page with the word "Play!" appears. Click it with tired optimism.

Step 13: Bash head against keyboard repeatedly after seeing message stating "Please install the new Windows Live Update". Feel the beginnings of an ulcer forming.

Step 14: 22MB later, install update. Rock back in forth in your chair while attempting the "Play" button again.

Step 15: It works! Hooray! ....right? WRONG. Activate the game again by entering the code on your manual. Wait for it to su****iously validate you. Feel slightly violated when it finally gives you the OK and starts the game.

Step 16: Begin to worry when black screen lasts 5 minutes. Alt + tab a few times. Remove fingernails from fingers due to over ambitious biting.

Step 17: Menu words! At last! Proceed to graphics options.

Step 18: Consider hiring Chuck Norris to roundhouse kick Rockstar when they tell you “You can not set the graphics higher as your system lacks resources” when you not only have enough resources, the benchmark test runs crystal smooth.

Step 19: Sigh, write it off as a bug. Begin game. Hooray! GTA IV at last!

Step 20: Game crashes to desktop.
Jonelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 01:20 AM   #128
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPC View Post
Sounds like this game is an advertisement for why developers should use nvidia's physx. Quad cores seem to have no trouble running this but dual cores seem to be struggling. What does this game do that uses so much more processing power than the previous GTA titles? The physics look like nothing too impressive.
The physics are pretty impressive actually... watch how bodies fly over cars, or even just how the cars drive. It's the realistic physics that make driving feel so much different from previous games of this kind.

The 360 has three cores... it makes sense that dual cores are struggling.

Old 12-03-08, 01:22 AM   #129
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

All you have to do is drop your Draw Distance to get good FPS. I'm at 1680x1050, High (testure quality), Very High (render quality), 23 draw distance and 65 detail distance. My AVG FPS is 60.0. Gameplay very smooth with 3.7Ghz Q6600 and 260 GTX (756/1566/1242), 4GB ddr2 1100, Windows 7 6801 beta x86, 180.60 drivers.

Auto configure had my draw distance to 32 and my FPS were dipping into the teens. Dropped draw distance and cranked everything else up - game runs great now.
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 01:23 AM   #130
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
All you have to do is drop your Draw Distance to get good FPS. I'm at 1680x1050, High (testure quality), Very High (render quality), 23 draw distance and 65 detail distance. My AVG FPS is 60.0. Gameplay very smooth with 3.7Ghz Q6600 and 260 GTX (756/1566/1242).

Auto configure had my draw distance to 32 and my FPS were dipping into the teens. Dropped draw distance and cranked everything else up - game runs great now.
I have the same card... it doesn't even let the draw distance go above 28 or so anyway, unless you drop to medium textures, which looks like ass.
Old 12-03-08, 01:25 AM   #131
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I have the same card... it doesn't even let the draw distance go above 28 or so anyway, unless you drop to medium textures, which looks like ass.
Mine goes higher than 32 even. Not sure why yours isnt. Maybe because my copy was from Direct2drive and bypasses the same check yours has? Dunno. Maybe CPU has something to do with it.
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 01:31 AM   #132
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Mine goes higher than 32 even. Not sure why yours isnt. Maybe because my copy was from Direct2drive and bypasses the same check yours has? Dunno. Maybe CPU has something to do with it.
I have the same exact processor as well actually... maybe it's because I am running at 1920x1200.