Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-03-08, 10:36 AM   #169
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Default Re: GTA IV PC Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
but that was the same in mafia and previous GTAs
yea but none even come close the GTA IV. Mafia was a great game, but go back and look at it now.
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 11:05 AM   #170
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

Just installed it from Steam. Dunno what to think of this Windows Live deal. It says you need it for multiplayer but I'm not a multiplayer. I tried to skip out of it but it makes you install it anyway and then have to get into this Social Club thing. I didn't want that but couldn't play the game without it. This kind of stuff I don't care for, being forced into something you don't want or need. Just gimme the damn game already!

Unless I've missed something in the game menu, I can't see how to change game controls. No matter if choosing "Standard" or "Classic", it still goes to the picture of the 360 controller. So is this game configurable to a mouse/keyboard where you can change the controls where you want or are you stuck with the default controls?
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 11:08 AM   #171
Paddywak

You can change the controls for KB/M ... it's about half way down the controls page ... "Custom Mapping"
Old 12-03-08, 11:20 AM   #172
Abraxus#

I'm installing right now. Just spent half an hour or so working out the windows live and social club **** but I gave up in the end as all the instructions related to the Xbox.

Frankly I have little hope it'll play well. Most people who say it's really good have at least GTX 260's and fairly low resolutions. My Core2Duo and 320MB GTS probably arn't much good for 1680x1050.

I was really looking forward to the game, why did they have to bury it under all this b*** ***t?
EVGA GTX 260 216
Intel X25M G2 160GB SSD
X-Fi Xtreme Music
Corsair TX 650
Samsung SM226BW
Abraxus# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 12:02 PM   #173
Paddywak

Yo slaWter ... if you drop the View Distance and you should be able to get High texture settings.
A view distance of 10 gives you the same as the console version.

My gaming comp ... since I took this I have a new bigger desk ... lol

TripleHead is the best ... one of the most immesive ways to play PC games ...
Old 12-03-08, 12:12 PM   #174
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

frame less LCD would be sweet
Old 12-03-08, 12:14 PM   #175
Nitz Walsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaury View Post

DAMN!!!! You need 1.5gb of graphics memory and this is without AA at 1680x1050. So you're waiting all this time for the PC version to play the game with better visuals and then you realize to your dismay that it's not even playable, even on a high end pc. Another crappy console port Boo Rockstar.
Oh for pete's sake - I swear if I ever develop a game I'm going to neuter the graphical details sliders so people with high-end rigs don't whine when I make it more future-proof.

Again, from Rocktar themselves:

Quote:
THE GRAPHIC SETTINGS OF GRAND THEFT AUTO IV PC

Most users using current PC hardware as of December 2008 are advised to use medium graphics settings. Higher settings are provided for future generations of PCs with higher specifications than are currently widely available.

Graphics settings are limited by system resources by default. 256MB video cards force minimum settings by default. If a user bypasses these safety measures using command line arguments and exceeds their system resources, the users gaming experience may be compromised.

Video Mode
Resolution scaling effects water, reflections, shadows, mirrors and the visible viewable distance. The resolution settings relate to the amount of available video memory. At 2560*1600 the game will require 320MB of video memory in addition to all the memory required for content. At 800*600 the game will require 32MB of video memory in addition to the content. Medium resolution settings are recommended for most users as higher settings are only usable if there is available video memory.

Texture Quality
Texture quality affects the visual quality of the content of the game. High setting for textures will require 600MB of video memory at a setting of 21 View Distance in addition to the memory taken by the Video Mode. A medium texture setting is recommended for most users.

Render Quality
Render quality is the texture filter quality used on most things in the world rendering. Most people would know this as anisotropic filtering. Medium settings are recommended for most users and will provide filtering beyond what the console versions can execute.

View Distance
View distance scales the distance in which different objects in the world such as building and cars are seen. Raising this option increases the distance in which high quality objects must be loaded and will increase the memory it requires. Restrictions are established to ensure the game runs optimally for most users. A setting of 22 or more will provide PC users an enhanced experience over the console versions.

Detail Distance
Detail distance scales aspects of the environment that the View Distance setting does not including vegetation, trash and other moveable objects. A setting of 10 would be the equivalent to the performance on a console. This setting has little effect on memory.

Vehicle Density
Vehicle density scales the traffic density of the traffic in the game. It has no effect on the mission vehicles or difficultly of the game, but can have a significant impact on CPU performance

Shadow Density
Shadow Density controls the number of shadows generated for positional lights in exterior environments. These shadows are exclusive to the PC version and can have a major impact on CPU and GPU performance.

Crossfire/SLI
With the latest ATI driver (8-11 series) the game supports crossfire modes (ie. 4870x2)
SLI is currently unsupported. Support will be added through a future game patch as well as an updated Nvidia driver.
Nitz Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 12:25 PM   #176
Paddywak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
frame less LCD would be sweet
It would be better of course but when you are playing you don't really notice the bars between the screens as you are focused on the action usually in the centre of your screen (as on a single screen).
The side screens add to the immersion by giving you extra peripheral vision it is amazing ... imho ...

@ Nitz Walsh ... Exactly.

Old 12-03-08, 12:50 PM   #177
Paddywak

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I know but the game crashes for me using High Textures...
ah ... ok ... just mentioned it in case you didn't know.
Crap that it is causing crashing for you though.

Quote:
TripleHead sure is nice because of the surround effect but I'm not a fan of the borders between the screens. That's why I bought a LCD TV for gaming instead.
Awesome setup you got there!
I have a 1080 50" Plasma ... I dunno if you have ever tried it but surround gaming is better in my opinion because of that extra peripheral vision and as I say you don't notice the bars whilst playing.
We did a poll on the WSGF about the bars ... on the whole it was those that hadn't experienced TripleHead that had a problem with the bars between the screens.
They are more of an issue in desktop apps but again no big deal.

I can see why some people would be put off by them ... I just wish everyone could experience it though to get a better understanding of why it is so immersive.
Old 12-03-08, 01:58 PM   #178
wysiwyg

still not sure if i should buy it off steam or not

is it worth buying?
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 02:01 PM   #179
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddywak View Post

I can see why some people would be put off by them ... I just wish everyone could experience it though to get a better understanding of why it is so immersive.
start a triplehead rental service, I will rent your 3 monitors and the triplehead device first
Old 12-03-08, 02:01 PM   #180
Abraxus#

What a pile of ****.

After three hours and multiple errors and installs I finally got it running.

Then it tells me I can't run it at my monitor's default resolution because I don't have enough video memory, the max settings I can apply are 1600x900 with view distance 7 (which makes almost everything invisible until you're right next to it) or 12x10 with view 17, which is so blurry I feel like I have a thick layer of vaseline smeared on my eyes.

There was no chance of using medium textures either, unless I wan't to run at 800x600 on my 22" widescreen.

This might be playable if someone can tell me how to override the stupid limits they impose, otherwise it's for people with 512mb vid cards AT THE VERY LEAST. I don't plan on playing again until I can afford a GTX260.

Rockstar are welcome to go f**k themselves.
EVGA GTX 260 216
Intel X25M G2 160GB SSD
X-Fi Xtreme Music
Corsair TX 650
Samsung SM226BW
Abraxus# is offline   Reply With Quote