Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-15-09, 03:20 AM   #1
mihalis

Angry How do I get my desktop back?...

First, let me state that I am new to Linux. I am running openSUSE 11.0 and had no issues setting this OS up on my sister's computer (which did NOT have an NVIDIA graphics card). When I installed it on mine, however, Compiz effects didn't work. Thus, I installed the drivers as instructed on NVIDIA's website. All appeared to be fine until I rebooted. Now I get an error message at startup stating that X-Server failed to start and I don't even have a desktop. I've considered just purchasing a competitor's video card and replacing this one... Are there any other ways to get my desktop back and how do I prevent this from happening again?

FYI, I am furious at NVIDIA right now, and is highly unlikely I will ever purchase one of their products again if I can't get this issue resolved.
mihalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 03:39 AM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: How do I get my desktop back?...

Please see the forum sticky posts about how to report a problem.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 05:56 AM   #3
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Default Re: How do I get my desktop back?...

In order to prevent this in the future:

Distributions (such as SuSE, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Gentoo) have their own ways of handling drivers. So usually it is the best idea to follow the instructions and use the tools provided by the distribution. nVidia can't give out a up to date manual for all distributions out there, so the procedure mentioned on this site might or might not work for your specific distribution and version.

In order to get support:

Please read the thread already mentioned and provide a nvidia bug report as described there. Otherwise there is almost no chance to help you, as we can only guess what exactly went wrong and what your problem is.
Even without desktop you should be able to log in on a VT (thats what you get after booting now) and running the nvidia-bug-report.sh script as root. You can either put the resulting file on a usb stick or use pastebinit or similar software to get it to the web from this machine.

Even though I understand that you are upset, you should consider to not blame specific people or companies yet, as the error might be as well distribution, configuration or user related.

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote