Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-11-08, 02:30 PM   #1
Ikshaar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 72
Default Those cards do not fit my case

Ok, a bit of a rant, a bit of a plea.

So I have an Antec Solo case... (i have 2 actually) and I love them. Price/cooling/noise/size wise, I found them to be the best compromise. But of course all new model of GTX200 are so long they cannot fit in.

I wanted a GTX260-216 but I have a GTS 8800 640Mb so I guess I can wait for another generation of graphic card, but I am hoping nVidia stops that ridiculous tendency to make card longer and longer.

I only have ONE card and ONE disk in my whole case so I don't need a bigger case. I need nVidia to start thinking of a card design that does not require me to buy a new case each time I want to upgrade my video card.
Ikshaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-08, 02:40 PM   #2
jcrox
Mahna Mahna
 
jcrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madison, Wi
Posts: 6,134
Default Re: Those cards do not fit my case

It's not like they design the card and then say "hey... we need to add 3 or 4 inches on to this card so it looks bigger."

They pack everything they can on to the smallest board they can.
__________________

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-08, 02:55 PM   #3
Ikshaar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 72
Default Re: Those cards do not fit my case

I understand that.. but are we going to have 2 feet long video card in 5 years ? They cannot keep increasing the length of the card indefinitely.

I know those are high-end card but, same as what happened for the 8800, it makes less easy for people to upgrade, therefore less people buy it. If you force people to buy a whole new computer each time, they don't upgrade... they wait.

PS: don't flame me but I just discover that the Radeon 4870 is much shorter. Have been long time nVidia user but this might push me over the edge.
Ikshaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-08, 03:09 PM   #4
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: The 'burbs, IL USA
Posts: 12,502
Default Re: Those cards do not fit my case

New case != whole new computer.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-08, 04:16 PM   #5
Riptide
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 8,303
Default Re: Those cards do not fit my case

No but new case does = PITA.

IMO anyway. Especially if you agonize over cable management.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-08, 04:22 PM   #6
Capt. Picard
Registered User
 
Capt. Picard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: South Africa
Posts: 6,386
Default Re: Those cards do not fit my case

I don't have this problem. Because I don't have money to buy either.
Capt. Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-08, 04:32 PM   #7
bob saget
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver, originally Russia
Posts: 23,133
Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget
Default Re: Those cards do not fit my case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Picard View Post
I don't have this problem. Because I don't have money to buy either.
oh well, as long as you have money to post semi-humorous jokes, you are good value picard
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-08, 04:32 PM   #8
bob saget
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver, originally Russia
Posts: 23,133
Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget
Default Re: Those cards do not fit my case

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox View Post
It's not like they design the card and then say "hey... we need to add 3 or 4 inches on to this card so it looks bigger."

They pack everything they can on to the smallest board they can.
+1
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-08, 07:30 PM   #9
Jas28
Registered User
 
Jas28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 88
Default Re: Those cards do not fit my case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikshaar View Post
I understand that.. but are we going to have 2 feet long video card in 5 years ? They cannot keep increasing the length of the card indefinitely.

I know those are high-end card but, same as what happened for the 8800, it makes less easy for people to upgrade, therefore less people buy it. If you force people to buy a whole new computer each time, they don't upgrade... they wait.

PS: don't flame me but I just discover that the Radeon 4870 is much shorter. Have been long time nVidia user but this might push me over the edge.
Yes, the 4870 is shorter....but the 2 PCI-E power plugs plug into the back of a 4870, while the GTX plugs in from the top. This will add some extra length...something to keep in mind. Look at the 4850x2...that is longer than anything every made.....they just keep getting longer.
__________________
Intel Core i7 860 @3.85GHz w/ Corsair H50
MSI P55-CD53
4Gb A-DATA DDR3 1600
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Superclocked 1280MB GDDR5
SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Windows 7 64-Bit
Jas28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-08, 08:15 PM   #10
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 12,387
Default Re: Those cards do not fit my case

My 9800GTX barely fit into my Alienware case. Good thing the two PCI-E connectors are on the front instead of the end or else I wouldn't have made it. The end of the card is about 1/8 of an inch from my hard drive bay. Close call!

Are the GTX 260/280 cards the same length or even longer than the 9800GTX?
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-08, 09:23 PM   #11
Jas28
Registered User
 
Jas28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 88
Default Re: Those cards do not fit my case

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippe View Post
My 9800GTX barely fit into my Alienware case. Good thing the two PCI-E connectors are on the front instead of the end or else I wouldn't have made it. The end of the card is about 1/8 of an inch from my hard drive bay. Close call!

Are the GTX 260/280 cards the same length or even longer than the 9800GTX?
Pretty sure they are the same length......
__________________
Intel Core i7 860 @3.85GHz w/ Corsair H50
MSI P55-CD53
4Gb A-DATA DDR3 1600
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Superclocked 1280MB GDDR5
SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Windows 7 64-Bit
Jas28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-08, 11:47 PM   #12
hemmy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 760
Default Re: Those cards do not fit my case

Ya, same length.

My 260 has about this much room in my case ||
hemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In bid for patent sanity, judge throws out entire Apple/Motorola case News Archived News Items 0 06-22-12 11:20 PM
Computex 2012: Graphics Cards Round-up News Archived News Items 0 06-05-12 01:40 PM
2 Video Cards -- Disable Open GL on single? amites NVIDIA Linux 5 05-30-12 03:51 PM
Check out my new PC Case! LORD-eX-Bu General Hardware 13 09-17-02 12:48 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.