Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-06-08, 08:10 PM   #1
XVampireX
Dark Penguin

Send a message via MSN to XVampireX Send a message via Skype™ to XVampireX
Default Is everyone satisfied?

Hey, seriously, is everyone satisfied with the performance with the drivers atm? Even with the beta drivers, I tried them, okey, they seem to have a much more stable performance, but still not perfect, to be perfectly honest I'd give it around an 80/100 for performance... Things are still lagging, and a few features are still lacking... Anyway, it would be really great if you could improve it further.
XVampireX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 03:15 AM   #2
Henning Rogge

Default Re: Is everyone satisfied?

After the desaster with the nvidia driver and KDE4 (and the desaster with the 180.10 driver and the glyph cache for my 7900 GS) I just switched to the Nouveau driver... no problems with glyphs, no speed problems in firefox.

Okay, it has no 3D support at the moment, but it's great for desktop work.
Henning Rogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-08, 11:18 AM   #3
dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning Rogge View Post
After the desaster with the nvidia driver and KDE4 (and the desaster with the 180.10 driver and the glyph cache for my 7900 GS) I just switched to the Nouveau driver... no problems with glyphs, no speed problems in firefox.

Okay, it has no 3D support at the moment, but it's great for desktop work.
Yeah, nouveau is really great!
Actually it has some[very limited yet] 3D support already. For example glxgears runs, but is slow(about 1000 fps on my machine) and segfaults on window resize Even doom3 starts and shows the intro on my machine. With this officially unsupported 3d dri module[nouveau_dri] my system is more stable than on nvidia 96.43.xx - some applications may crash, but the whole system doesn't freeze, like with nvidia...
Old 12-27-08, 02:20 PM   #4
craftyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XVampireX View Post
Hey, seriously, is everyone satisfied with the performance with the drivers atm? Even with the beta drivers, I tried them, okey, they seem to have a much more stable performance, but still not perfect, to be perfectly honest I'd give it around an 80/100 for performance... Things are still lagging, and a few features are still lacking... Anyway, it would be really great if you could improve it further.

If you are refering to the binary mess nvida releases, then f*** no.

I'd love to give nouveau (or hell, even xf86-video-nv) a shot, but unfortunately my work requires some sort of 3D acceleration support.

Here's my reasoning:

1)No RandR >1.1 support. Get with the ball nvidia, twinview is horribly slow, does not correctly detect refresh rates when applied.

2)No hardware fb support, only way to get a working fb is by using uvesafb software emulation.

3)I've been experiencing ~30s hangs when restarting X on my T61p laptop (with 570M FX), apparently quite a few people around here are as well, since ~177.XX drivers, still not fixed in latest betas...

4)Suspend/hibernate support is like winning the lotto. On my desktop with a 8800GT, suspend works fine, hibernate does not. On my T61p laptop, resume from suspend does not work, hibernate does.

Nvidia,
Until recently, I've always been a fan of your GPU support in linux. Since yall have chosen to maintain strictly 'proprietary' drivers, the least yall could do is give a damn about your customers, and put some real effort into your linux drivers. Hell, your windows drivers are not that much better. Unfortunately I cannot switch out the GPU in my laptop, however I am seriously considering replacing the nvidia 8800GT in my desktop, as well as removing nvidia cards from the inventory at the workplace. Perhaps the only way yall can save yourselves now is to take a look at how AMD/ATI is helping the community by releasing specs, etc and encouraging an open alternative to their drivers.

Signed,

craftyguy
Extremely Disgruntled (ex)Nvidia User
craftyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-08, 07:28 PM   #5
mrybczyn

nvidia binary driver ghosts horribly on 2d display, nv driver is fine. But i need the 3d...

My next card is an ATI after this mess...
mrybczyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-08, 09:14 PM   #6
Tonglebeqk

After recently purchasing a gtx 260, thinking perhaps my 7950gt was somehow underpowered...I too am very disappointed. Nothing like getting 10fps while playing wow. Thanks for the shaft.
Tonglebeqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 06:48 AM   #7
nV_Colt

Nvidia appears content with continually adding new features instead of focusing on removing serious bugs from existing drivers to have a stable driver base.

Adding new features to an unstable driver is backwards thinking. They should make existing bugs the priority before trying to introduce new bugs (new features)
nV_Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 04:35 PM   #8
busbus

hell no!
i paid for a card that does not deliver half the performance it should do! as it was mentioned before, they should remove old bugs before adding new 'features'. and perhaps only add features that really work, like that stupid powermizer thing does not. the people who want battery lifetime it puts into high performance mode and the others it slows down to snailpace.
busbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-08, 10:01 PM   #9
hyfans

currently i'm not satisfied with 2D acc , i mean in web browsing, text/pic zooming/scrolling. yes, it is much better than previous versions, but it's not better than windows drivers

3D is ok.

vdpau is great.
hyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 11:10 PM   #10
rapsure

I am very satisfied with the current nVidia driver and my 9600GT.

I finally got a driver that performs in 2d like the Windows driver, and no other Linux driver even touches the nVidia driver with 3d performance or 2d performance now.
rapsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 04:22 AM   #11
Lysius

My only problem at the moment is this nasty bug (and missing hardware framebuffer).
Performance is great with my 8800 GTS 512 and my Geforce Go 7600, Powermizer works as expected, no other bugs found.
But I have to admit that I do not use Compiz or KDE 4. Even if KDE4 had emerged from its pre-beta status (just because it has a "final" tag on it, it does not mean it is stable and finished), I would expect some annoyances from what I have read in this Forum.
Lysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 06:30 AM   #12
mfb

Everything is function superbly except for the bug which causes 9600M-cards to not go beyond powerlevel 1 (of 0-3).
mfb is offline   Reply With Quote