Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-03, 02:47 PM   #1
PreservedSwine
I'm always hungry

Default Volts front page "news"

re: ATI is cheating

Is it just me, or is fanboism bleeding into even news posts? One thing to print news, another to simply make it up. I would have hoped for a bit more integrity, maybe VOLT will see this type of "news post" does more harm to the site than good for his favorite graphics card company....

Just my .0000000000000000000002
Old 05-27-03, 02:51 PM   #2
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Volts front page "news"

Quote:
Originally posted by PreservedSwine

Is it just me, or is fanboism bleeding into even news posts? One thing to print news, another to simply make it up. I would have hoped for a bit more integrity, maybe VOLT will see this type of "news post" does more harm to the site than good for his favorite graphics card company....

the xbit article was well and true since it is there..

the additional stuff... well the stuff AFTER the quote is a little OTT but he is the supermod... and its his perogative as a newsposter...
Old 05-27-03, 02:54 PM   #3
volt

I'm entitled to express my own feelings am I ? Great...
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
Old 05-27-03, 02:55 PM   #4
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
I just defended you m8

and yes.. you are...
Old 05-27-03, 03:00 PM   #5
PreservedSwine
I'm always hungry

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
Responsibly, sure... that's the difference between an editiorial and a simple news post. As a writer, columns that delve into your personal feelings should be included in an editorial column. Think of it if the news you were watching on tv differed 100% from your own views...since you simply want to catch the news w/out the spin, are you endagering the news from their freedom to express their own feelings?

As a news post, news is all that's needed. If you have an opinion, and apparantly you have a strong one in this case, feel free to write a column...

Do you see the difference, and why, as a source of legitemate information, you bear a journalistic responsibility to keep your personal opinions from tainting the news?

~Swine
Old 05-27-03, 03:34 PM   #6
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

Both companies admitted to "cheating" and after reading the whole statement from ATI (4 days ago) they had optimized certain shader portions of their drivers, not just for 3DMark2K3, but also for any game that uses those shaders.

I don't believe that your comment was fair to ATI, who merely tweaked their drivers for an additional 1.9% change in performance, whilst Nvidia tweaked theirs to 'detect' 2K3 and provide over 20% boost in performance by using C++ workarounds. 1.9% is miniscule, 20% is blatant.

Now I know this site is called "nV News", but had always considered it a place where things weren't so "fanboyish". You are entitled to your opinions volt, but I think your statement will give n00bs that don't necessarily understand the history of both companies a false impression of the situation. News/rumors online are an imperfect business and can cause many people to get pretty enraged over things that they really have no control over.

ATI has done alot to get past their days of being "plagued" by bad drivers, I commend ATI for their hard work, and I believe that nVidia needs to start waking up to the fact that they have some real competition now.

I personally cannot wait for NV40 vs. R400, will be interesting to see what the companies pull out of their hats, lets just hope its not "driver cheats".

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64

Last edited by Monolyth; 05-27-03 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-27-03, 03:41 PM   #7
StealthHawk

Default Re: Volts front page "news"

Quote:
Originally posted by PreservedSwine

Read the news at x-bit. They are the ones that said ATI admitted to cheating. I'm sure the ATI rep didn't use that word.

Old 05-27-03, 03:46 PM   #8
PreservedSwine
I'm always hungry

Default Re: Re: Volts front page "news"

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Read the news at x-bit. They are the ones that said ATI admitted to cheating. I'm sure the ATI rep didn't use that word.
That's correct, ATI has been quite frank and open. They certainly never admitted to cheating, did they?

Is it cheating? Largely, that depends on the definition of cheating....My point is exactly that- print the news. Some will see it as "cheating" and some will see it as "optimizing." Leaving that distinction up to the reader is the responsible thing to do.

Old 05-27-03, 03:48 PM   #9
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

Thumbs down

Your 'news' post was designed to provoke people, nothing less. Let's hope you don't start bitching about all the flame posts this will cause. By the way, ATI admitted to 'optimizing' their drivers not cheating. I would hardly call a 1.9% gain an attempt to cheat "to improve their 3DMark03 scores". They said they will remove this from their drivers because some people may look at it as a cheat. You have completely taken their comments out of context just to start a flame post. Did nVidia demand this of your site?
Old 05-27-03, 03:51 PM   #10
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

Quote:
Originally posted by Monolyth
I think your statement will give n00bs that don't necessarily understand the history of both companies a false impression of the situation.
I think that is the entire reason for this post. It's designed to sell more nVidia cards. It's called propaganda.
Old 05-27-03, 04:05 PM   #11
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Your 'news' post was designed to provoke people, nothing less. Let's hope you don't start bitching about all the flame posts this will cause.
Thus far this post has remained pretty calm, I think were all a little fed up with companies (both nVidia and ATI) doing this kind of crap. We pay good money for the products they make, only to hear that the company we just bought it from has been cheating on the drivers for it...

Whatever happened to companies with some simple common sense and integrity? *Sigh* Sorry, I'm just a little miffed at both companies for doing things without even telling anyone. How about we start seeing some detailed changelogs? Sooo many "software" developers release detailed changelogs that make your changelogs look like "Go Dog Go". Any sensible developer releases changelogs even if it is internal only, I would certainly think companies as large as ATI and Nvidia would have such documents.

PS - ATI has been releasing psuedo-changelogs with their latest CAT drivers, I have yet to see even a pseudo-changelog from nVidia.

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Old 05-27-03, 04:12 PM   #12
gRoUnD
Kinetic Momentum

Send a message via ICQ to gRoUnD

Propaganda, propaganda. I fully agree with Preserved Swine, been checking nVnews since more than 3 years for news, i have NEVER EVER found such a biased POS news. You havenīt learned much from history volt, have you ? Look at nazi germany or russian propaganda and where it lead to. Concentrate on the facts, think and THEN maybe add an intelligent personal comment. Donīt keep going on like that, trust me, you will regret it.

Last edited by gRoUnD; 05-27-03 at 04:20 PM.
Closed Thread