Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-03, 03:18 PM   #13
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

Looks like Volt is on a roll now. It seems the goal is to use quotes from nVidia fanboys around the net to make ATI look bad and make nVidia actually look good for cheating. Using a qoute that praises nVidia for cheating 'the right way'....
Old 05-27-03, 03:20 PM   #14
ChrisW

Quote:
Originally posted by Monolyth
Thus far this post has remained pretty calm, I think were all a little fed up with companies (both nVidia and ATI) doing this kind of crap. We pay good money for the products they make, only to hear that the company we just bought it from has been cheating on the drivers for it...

Whatever happened to companies with some simple common sense and integrity? *Sigh* Sorry, I'm just a little miffed at both companies for doing things without even telling anyone. How about we start seeing some detailed changelogs? Sooo many "software" developers release detailed changelogs that make your changelogs look like "Go Dog Go". Any sensible developer releases changelogs even if it is internal only, I would certainly think companies as large as ATI and Nvidia would have such documents.

PS - ATI has been releasing psuedo-changelogs with their latest CAT drivers, I have yet to see even a pseudo-changelog from nVidia.
That is because all the flame posts will either be deleted or moved to this forum, where nobody reads the posts.
Old 05-27-03, 03:23 PM   #15
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Looks like Volt is on a roll now. It seems the goal is to use quotes from nVidia fanboys around the net to make ATI look bad and make nVidia actually look good for cheating. Using a qoute that praises nVidia for cheating 'the right way'....
For the bigger part of it you should not blame FutureMark for this though, but blame the parties that started cheating.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
Old 05-27-03, 03:23 PM   #16
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

Speaking of history, I'm sure everyone remembers the Quake 3 / Quack 3 optimizations that ATI did, of course that was back in the 8500 days.

And volt for god sakes your only fanning the flames in here, if you really want to start a cool flame war atleast make it about something that we all care about...like...laffy taffy or something. Atleast you can eat that, cause thus far I can't swallow all the Anti-ATI crap going around, when nVidia was the one that truly cheated. ATI had zero...ZERO "3DMark2K3 specific" code, so don't try to sell me on the point that ATI "cheated", I had been a serious fanboy of nVidia and AMD for a long time, now that I'm running ATI and Intel, I will tell you it's stupid choosing sides.

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Old 05-27-03, 03:25 PM   #17
gRoUnD
Kinetic Momentum

Send a message via ICQ to gRoUnD

No-one blames Futuremark! At least i blame you for handling things wrong and playing in a childish way with a well-established news page!
Old 05-27-03, 03:41 PM   #18
ChrisW

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
For the bigger part of it you should not blame FutureMark for this though, but blame the parties that started cheating.
Why would I blame Futuremark? They are the people that has a major graphics card company (nVidia) trying to destroy their product. I feel sorry for those guys. How would you like it is some company launched a strategic campaign or misinformation and propaganda to try to destroy your company just because they would not optimize for them?
Old 05-27-03, 03:46 PM   #19
StealthHawk

Default Re: Re: Re: Volts front page "news"

Quote:
Originally posted by PreservedSwine
That's correct, ATI has been quite frank and open. They certainly never admitted to cheating, did they?

Is it cheating? Largely, that depends on the definition of cheating....My point is exactly that- print the news. Some will see it as "cheating" and some will see it as "optimizing." Leaving that distinction up to the reader is the responsible thing to do.
As I pointed out...the x-bit article says that "ATI admitted they cheated" or something like that. Volt was posting about the x-bit article, and he used the same words as they did.

Is that wrong? No. Is it irresponsible? Yes. Certainly I think x-bit is misrepresenting the news. But I think Volt is accurately representing x-bit's news.

The question is, "was this the right thing to do in this situation?" That is what the debate is about.

Old 05-27-03, 03:49 PM   #20
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Volts front page "news"

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
As I pointed out...the x-bit article says that "ATI admitted they cheated" or something like that. Volt was posting about the x-bit article, and he used the same words as they did.

Is that wrong? No. Is it irresponsible? Yes. Certainly I think x-bit is misrepresenting the news. But I think Volt is accurately representing x-bit's news.

The question is, "was this the right thing to do in this situation?" That is what the debate is about.
the debate is about the extra wording volt included in the news post...

specifically

Quote:
Ahh, the moment I was waiting for *sarcastic laughter*. Looks like ATI admitted they "optimized" their drivers to achive higher scores in 3DMark03 *wink wink*
and

Quote:
Yea right, I find that hard to believe somehow
volt did accurately represent the news but his additional text is what was raised as perhaps not being required...

Old 05-27-03, 03:53 PM   #21
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

As far as the Guru3D post...all i got to say:

<inappropriate>

Working on ATI at the moment to be fair.

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64

Last edited by Monolyth; 05-27-03 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-27-03, 03:54 PM   #22
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

This is why I don't post news anymore. The moment you post anything vaguely interesting you get spammed with criticism.

Let volt have his opinion, nobody says you have to agree with it, and nobody says a news posting without opinion has to be agreeable to everyone (there is no such thing).

News without any sort of opinion or comment from the poster is just boring to read, like its written by a google search engine.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
Old 05-27-03, 03:58 PM   #23
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveW
This is why I don't post news anymore. The moment you post anything vaguely interesting you get spammed with criticism.

Let volt have his opinion, nobody says you have to agree with it, and nobody says a news posting without opinion has to be agreeable to everyone (there is no such thing).

News without any sort of opinion or comment from the poster is just boring to read, like its written by a google search engine.
I think thats what Pswine was stating though... feel free to post one's opinions with the article concerned.. but do so in a column or some other section... news is basically for the reader to read...

w/o the extra parts volt put out there... this discussion would not be about volt... which unfortunately it has become... but rather about the article itself..

btw posting news is fun it is something I enjoy doing (not on a fulltime basis though) and any criticism received (if warranted) ... well I just have to learn from it and move on...
Old 05-27-03, 04:01 PM   #24
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

whoops - Edited
Were you refering to nV and because they were caught doing a few things wrong? I would suggest you hide all your traces to your computer, just in case nV come in with their address snifers followed by a whole lotta lawyers.
Please ppl calm down.

Nevermind- Pic has been taken down
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case

Last edited by MUYA; 05-27-03 at 04:04 PM.
Closed Thread