Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-08-09, 07:45 AM   #25
Felix.K

Default Re: 180.16: GLXBadDrawable error on starting wine a second time

On my machine neither 180.* is ok nor is any of the beta releases.

Can you tell me, which dirver version of 180.* you used to start a wine game a second time with xinerama enabled?

Disabling Xinerama is no solution IMHO, because the TwinView mode is extremously buggy and I can't really play without having effects like:
  • The game is centered across both screens (one half on each screen)
  • The game completely takes other both screens
  • The second screen is blanked and therefore unusuable
And only using one screen is no solution, too.
Felix.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 02:29 PM   #26
Nilith

Im running 180.53 on 2.6.29.2 (debian sid) with two 7900GT in four-head xinerama. The "game" im running is the Neverwinter Nights 1 toolset; with either beta release of 185, I have observed the abovementioned behaviour, but not with any other, previous version.

Edit: 2.6.26, 2.6.24 ran fine too, of course. xserver-xorg 1.4.2.
Nilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 02:33 PM   #27
Nilith

For those affected, a viable workaround may be to simply start a second xserver on another VT (with just one screen), and kill it again after the game is done (you can switch back and forth with c+a+F7/8, etc). I do that for 3D games too, since most games can't really handle xinerama well in any case.
Nilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 05:39 AM   #28
Felix.K

I've now tried the 180.60 prerelease and any (pre)release before that with 2.6.29, even 2.6.30 kernels and some weeks ago with 2.6.28, too. This bug occured on ANY combination of driver + kernel, in addition also in all beta releases.
One can start a second X, but one can't move applications from one to the other, therfore I'm losing the cause why I use xinerama: I can switch from ALL games (wine + native) to any application on the other screen during the play without any problem (the apps on my second screen are always visible, the game is frozen or even continues playing (depending on wether it handles WM_ACTIVE in wine or activation events in X; anyway it resumes playing when I switch back), I can easily and always switch back to the game with one single click, I can move the fullscreen from one window to the other, ...). I's far better than in Windows even and very far better than with nvidia's twin view.
But on the other hand, there's this annoying bug and I have recently recognized a slowdown in Half-Life 2, which doesn't occur without xinerama... Anyway, I think xinerama is the only acceptable soultion I know for playing games with dualhead.
Old 05-28-09, 07:01 AM   #29
Felix.K

Thumbs up Re: 180.16: GLXBadDrawable error on starting wine a second time

This Bug is nov SOLVED!

In the changelog of the new prerelease 185.18.14, the NVIDIA team says:
"Fixed a Xinerama drawable resource management problem that can cause GLXBadDrawable errors in certain cases, such as when Wine applications are run."

In addition, I did a quick test myself and can confirm that it seems to be solved (I'll some more tests soon, but I expect the problem to be completely solved now).

Thanks to everyone who helped us gathering all information and thanks to the NVIDIA team for solving this bug .