Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-18-09, 04:05 PM   #25
arybak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2
Default Re: Xine vdpau announcement

I have problems with xine as running as VDR client. I compiled xine-lib 1.2 cvs with "http://www.jusst.de/vdpau/files/xine-lib-1.2/xine-lib-1.2-vdpau-r167.diff.bz2" and mpeg2 channels work very good. But channels H.264 works good only about one minute. After this playing is chopping, not playing correctly. Always after xine restart few moments works well.

Two logs attached from wrong playing and the third was playing lost from the screen - blank screen showed.

Maybe someone can help?

Im using NVIDIA 8400GS card, with drivers 180.22.

My operating system is UBUNTU 8.04.1
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 xine_090118_225047.log.bz2 (86.5 KB, 260 views)
File Type: bz2 xine_090118_225549.log.bz2 (26.0 KB, 164 views)
File Type: bz2 xine_090118_230509.log_playing_lost.bz2 (28.1 KB, 170 views)
arybak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 04:16 PM   #26
jusst
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 99
Default Re: Xine vdpau announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by arybak View Post
I have problems with xine as running as VDR client. I compiled xine-lib 1.2 cvs with "http://www.jusst.de/vdpau/files/xine-lib-1.2/xine-lib-1.2-vdpau-r167.diff.bz2" and mpeg2 channels work very good. But channels H.264 works good only about one minute. After this playing is chopping, not playing correctly. Always after xine restart few moments works well.

Two logs attached from wrong playing and the third was playing lost from the screen - blank screen showed.

Maybe someone can help?

Im using NVIDIA 8400GS card, with drivers 180.22.

My operating system is UBUNTU 8.04.1
You are probably running into a buffering issue... H264 is very critical about buffering on live streams.
rnissl might post his suggestions for good buffering values.
jusst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 04:55 PM   #27
arybak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2
Default Re: Xine vdpau announcement

I was wondering that was my DVB-S card problem - thats not. I changed to other DVB card ant the problem is the same. When i need to search about buffering?
arybak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 09:20 PM   #28
mlampard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: South Australia
Posts: 30
Default Re: Xine vdpau announcement

You can either manually change the config file or change the settings within the gui.. Personally I think doing it manually is easier

Exit xine-ui.

Edit ~/.xine/config
Find and change the line
#engine.buffers.video_num_buffers:500
to
engine.buffers.video_num_buffers:900
(don't forget to remove the '#' from the start of the line)

and restart xine.

You may have to play with the value a little.
mlampard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 04:05 AM   #29
LauriM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 19
Default Re: Xine vdpau announcement

I would like to thank the developers for their effort. With mkv support and vdr plugin xine-vdpau is really an excellent playback system.

I could never get NVidia's Xv working reliably. Playback of 50fps video on 50Hz display hogs CPU and 24fps on 60Hz sometimes hangs for a short while and misses a frame or two. VDPAU doesn't suffer from these problems.

nvidia-settings image adjustments (brightness, contrast etc) don't seem to apply to VDPAU output, but Xine's image controls and a test DVD fixed this nicely. Deinterlacing and zooming work well for watching TV.

One thing I'm not certain about: should BT.709 colorspace be used for HD content? Attached is a simple patch that switches to 709 for HD content. Should something like this (obviously with better heuristic) be added?
Attached Files
File Type: txt xine_vdpau_bt709.patch.txt (1,020 Bytes, 236 views)
LauriM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 03:44 PM   #30
jusst
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 99
Default Re: Xine vdpau announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauriM View Post
I would like to thank the developers for their effort. With mkv support and vdr plugin xine-vdpau is really an excellent playback system.

I could never get NVidia's Xv working reliably. Playback of 50fps video on 50Hz display hogs CPU and 24fps on 60Hz sometimes hangs for a short while and misses a frame or two. VDPAU doesn't suffer from these problems.

nvidia-settings image adjustments (brightness, contrast etc) don't seem to apply to VDPAU output, but Xine's image controls and a test DVD fixed this nicely. Deinterlacing and zooming work well for watching TV.

One thing I'm not certain about: should BT.709 colorspace be used for HD content? Attached is a simple patch that switches to 709 for HD content. Should something like this (obviously with better heuristic) be added?
Thank you for that note. Actually it shouldn't be decided according to the resolution but due to some flags in the stream. I am going to implement this tomorrow.
jusst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 10:05 AM   #31
jusst
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 99
Default Re: Xine vdpau announcement

xine-vdpau r189 includes proper selection of the color standard now.

thanks for the hint
jusst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 10:56 AM   #32
ciaccom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13
Default Re: Xine vdpau announcement

hi, many thanks to the developers for your work getting vdpau support working with xine!

just a question concerning deinterlacing (live broadcast material / SDTV and HDTV 1080i):

what settings would you advice to get the best "subjective quality"?

at the moment i'm using "--post tvtime:method=use_vo_driver" and "video.output.vdpau_deinterlace_method:temporal_sp atial" in .xine/config. there's also "video.driver:vdpau" active. for SDTV and 720P material everything is really working fine - but 1080i material is jerked with these setting (cpu is used at 10-20%). only if i deactivate deinterlacing at all, the 1080i broadcasts are fluidly represented!

thanks in advance!

Edit: i'm using xine-lib-1.2 with patch r193 / driver is 180.25
ciaccom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-09, 11:09 AM   #33
jusst
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 99
Default Re: Xine vdpau announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaccom View Post
hi, many thanks to the developers for your work getting vdpau support working with xine!

just a question concerning deinterlacing (live broadcast material / SDTV and HDTV 1080i):

what settings would you advice to get the best "subjective quality"?

at the moment i'm using "--post tvtime:method=use_vo_driver" and "video.output.vdpau_deinterlace_method:temporal_sp atial" in .xine/config. there's also "video.driver:vdpau" active. for SDTV and 720P material everything is really working fine - but 1080i material is jerked with these setting (cpu is used at 10-20%). only if i deactivate deinterlacing at all, the 1080i broadcasts are fluidly represented!

thanks in advance!

Edit: i'm using xine-lib-1.2 with patch r193 / driver is 180.25
What GPU are you using? - Only the very fast ones can do Temporal Spatial on 1080i content. Still you can set vdpau_deinterlace_method to temporal. This will be (very) slightly less quality but less GPU power is required...
SD content will always be deinterlaced by Temporal Spatial if deinterlacing is enabled, btw. - All VDPAU capable cards can do that.
jusst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 11:25 AM   #34
ciaccom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13
Default Re: Xine vdpau announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusst View Post
What GPU are you using? - Only the very fast ones can do Temporal Spatial on 1080i content. Still you can set vdpau_deinterlace_method to temporal. This will be (very) slightly less quality but less GPU power is required...
SD content will always be deinterlaced by Temporal Spatial if deinterlacing is enabled, btw. - All VDPAU capable cards can do that.
thanks a lot for your quick reply! my GPU is a 9400GT (G96/D9M / 550 MHz core) - according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_9_Series)

is it right to use the --post param (tvtime:method=use_vo_driver)? so vdpau_deinterlace_method out of .xine/config will be used? i'll give it a try with just "temporal" ..
ciaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 11:35 AM   #35
jusst
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 99
Default Re: Xine vdpau announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaccom View Post
thanks a lot for your quick reply! my GPU is a 9400GT (G96/D9M / 550 MHz core) - according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_9_Series)

is it right to use the --post param (tvtime:method=use_vo_driver)? so vdpau_deinterlace_method out of .xine/config will be used? i'll give it a try with just "temporal" ..
Yep, that is correct... You GPU should work well with Temporal deint.
jusst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-09, 04:04 AM   #36
ciaccom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13
Default Re: Xine vdpau announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusst View Post
Yep, that is correct... You GPU should work well with Temporal deint.
hello jusst! i tried it with "temporal" yesterday and it worked a bit better with 1080i, but the presentation was jerked again. so i gave "bob" as deinterlacing algorithm a try - with "bob" it's working very good now

is it possible that the CPU is affecting the whole thing? i have a AMD K8 (BE-2400). people (vdr-portal) reported that they use "temporal_spatial" successfully with a strong K10 CPU (but my K8 is just at 10-25% usage with "temporal_spatial" - 1080i is still jerked) -- so i think also the GPU power is the only thing, the useable deint.-algo is dependend of ... (??)

thank's for your hint, changing the deninterlacing algorithm!
ciaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xorg locks-up with newest nvidia drivers w/ vdpau. theroot NVIDIA Linux 1 06-24-12 11:04 AM
NVIDIA VDPAU Reference Benchmarks News Archived News Items 0 06-11-12 05:30 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.