Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-17-10, 10:31 PM   #85
Viral
Registered User of Women

Default Re: Metro 2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
problem low yields of the gpu aren't the only thing that could slow a product to market, maybe a low number of ram chips? That has happened in the past, you can have the product first to the market but if you don't have enough to sell its meaningless. Do you guys like paper launches?
Well the 5870 uses pratically the same memory, just Fermi will require 50% more of it. Anyway, when 5870 was in short supply they would have said it was because of memory supply issues if that were the case.

There really is no other explanation other than poor yields and or low clocking/hot chips.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-10, 11:24 PM   #86
Snake101st

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/70...n-Support.html
SLI evga GTX 460 1GB
Acer GD235HZ w/ nvidia 3d vision
Snake101st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 12:09 PM   #87
Koko56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
yea that was an old article on Guru3d.

Apparently the GT300 was taped out early September, add a week or six to eight to that and this would tell us a launch could be imminent as soon as late November early December.

That obviously didn't happen, clearly there were still problems. So the guru3d source would be worthless. Or maybe he's a dbag fanboy trying to keep Nvidia from looking stupid?
Fanboy? Huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Well not for me. All those cards are plenty fast for 60FPS vsynced in nearly all games out there.
There are other aspects about a card that are at least as important as FPS. Otherwise I'd still be using the 5970.
What diid the drivers cause? Crashes?
Old 02-18-10, 01:07 PM   #88
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Is Metro 2033's DirectX 11-enabled game engine related to, or based on S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow Of Chernobyl's, as people keep suggesting?

Controversy has surrounded the origins of the new 4A [Metro 2033] engine, as GSC founder Sergey Grigorovich has apparently claimed in the Russian games press that the tech is derived and improved from a pre-release version of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. code.
4A CTO Oles Shishkovtsov, who left GSC a year before S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow Of Chernobyl eventually launched, said, "There's no relationship. Back when I was working as Lead Programmer and Technology Architect on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. it became clearly apparent that many architectural decisions put into S.T.A.L.K.E.R. engine were great for the time when it was designed, but they just doesn't scale to the present day.

"The major obstacles to the future of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. engine were its inherent inability to be multi-threaded, the weak and error-prone networking model, and simply awful resource and memory management which prohibited any kind of streaming or simply keeping the working set small enough for (back then) 'next-gen' consoles."

"When the philosophies of the engines are so radically different it is nearly impossible to share the code," he said. "The final answer is 'no'. We do not have shared code with X-Ray, nor would it be possible to do so."

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/53...ine-Components
Old 02-18-10, 01:18 PM   #89
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Mostly playback problems using MPCHC with and without DXVA. Games were fine but stability wasn't that good.
there is definitely something wrong with ati DXVA implemention. XBMC recently added DXVA support and having weird "green screen" effect on some h264 files, while on my gtx280 and 8600mgt its all fine.
Old 02-19-10, 12:17 PM   #90
lee63
Classified

Pre-ordered on Steam...hows Red Faction Guerrilla ?
Old 02-19-10, 05:21 PM   #91
loinbread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Is Metro 2033's DirectX 11-enabled game engine related to, or based on S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow Of Chernobyl's, as people keep suggesting?

Controversy has surrounded the origins of the new 4A [Metro 2033] engine, as GSC founder Sergey Grigorovich has apparently claimed in the Russian games press that the tech is derived and improved from a pre-release version of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. code.
4A CTO Oles Shishkovtsov, who left GSC a year before S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow Of Chernobyl eventually launched, said, "There's no relationship. Back when I was working as Lead Programmer and Technology Architect on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. it became clearly apparent that many architectural decisions put into S.T.A.L.K.E.R. engine were great for the time when it was designed, but they just doesn't scale to the present day.

"The major obstacles to the future of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. engine were its inherent inability to be multi-threaded, the weak and error-prone networking model, and simply awful resource and memory management which prohibited any kind of streaming or simply keeping the working set small enough for (back then) 'next-gen' consoles."

"When the philosophies of the engines are so radically different it is nearly impossible to share the code," he said. "The final answer is 'no'. We do not have shared code with X-Ray, nor would it be possible to do so."

That's a funny claim for GSC to make. I think they pulled a similar stunt with the Deep Shadows crew a while after they left GSC, too. Also I agree with Oles Shishkovtsov about how dated STALKER's engine is now: why would anyone want to steal code or assets from it? Hell, all of Call of Pripyat's gun textures are the same from seven years ago (with the minor exception of the AK and SVD).
loinbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-10, 07:00 PM   #92
m3dude

Quote:

makes sense, the game is a resource hog for such mediocre graphics
m3dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-10, 07:04 PM   #93
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

basically stalker is a pc engine and metro 2033 engine added streaming for consoles. Probably means lower load times for metro, but possibly stuttering?
Old 02-24-10, 08:53 PM   #94
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

will the retail meto 2033 cd-keys work with steam?
Old 02-24-10, 09:00 PM   #95
|MaguS|

Quote:
will the retail meto 2033 cd-keys work with steam?
It's steamworks so it should.
Old 02-25-10, 07:19 PM   #96
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

THQ's UK website has full PC system requirements of 4A Games' upcoming post-apocalypse first person shooter Metro 2033:
Minimum System Requirements:
- Dual core CPU (any Core 2 Duo or better will do)
- DirectX 9, Shader Model 3 compliant graphics cards (GeForce 8800, GeForce GT220 and above)
- 1GB RAM

Recommended System Requirements:
- Any Quad Core or 3.0+ GHz Dual Core CPU
- DirectX 10 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 260 and above)
- 2GB RAM

Optimum System Requirements:
- Core i7 CPU
- NVIDIA DirectX 11 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 480 and 470)
- As much RAM as possible (8GB+)
- Fast HDD or SSD

Enabling Nvidia 3D Vision:
Metro 2033 utilizes NVIDIA 3D Vision with compatible cards and hardware. To play in 3D you will require:
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 and above recommended
- A 120Hz (or above) monitor
- NVIDIA 3D Vision kit
- Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7

http://uk.thq.com/uk/news/show/9878