Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-04-09, 02:16 PM   #1
judoal

Location: Nederland Colorado at 8100 feet elevation west of Boulder
Question problem with GeForce 8400GS on Poweredge 1800

I'm running an older server, a Dell Poweredge 1800 running RHEL 5.3, not so much as a server however, but a general purpose machine. Yeah yeah I know its old, but this one has been very reliable. Any I know that the I/O slots are old and kinda of out of date. But I don't really want to spend the money right now to get a new machine. Anyway, I see that there is support for some of the nvidia products for linux and I want to put an different video/graphics card in this beast. PNY has as GeForce 8400GS card that will fit in the PCI slot on the MB. I tried it last night and found that it displayed the bios boot output just fine. But as soon as it started to boot linux from Grub, the display went blank and there was no disk activity. On cold boots, I did notice that the card displayed its boot up, but then nothing. So, I was wondering if anyone has any idea how I can get this card to run. I see that the latest driver is NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.09-pkg1.run. Will this fix the problem? Thanks
judoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 05:34 PM   #2
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Default Re: problem with GeForce 8400GS on Poweredge 1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by judoal View Post
So, I was wondering if anyone has any idea how I can get this card to run.
On my Pentium III, it was necessary to connect via ssh and install latest nvidia drivers just to get X working. I have no text console on this computer.

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 10:11 PM   #3
judoal

Location: Nederland Colorado at 8100 feet elevation west of Boulder
Default Re: problem with GeForce 8400GS on Poweredge 1800

I've sucessfully installed the latest driver: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.51-pkg#.run. That is, no complaints. But after the bios and hardware boot (scsi drives etc), the Linux splash screen does not come up and all there is is a black screen. I'm gonna enter this as a bug in a new thread.
judoal is offline   Reply With Quote