Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-13-10, 08:42 AM   #1
Andreas Dehmel

Default Xids in windowed GL apps

This is a oldie but baddie which I've had on my machine for every driver after 100.14. It only affects windowed OpenGL apps (never had an issue with fullscreen) and can be easily provoked by running prboom in fullscreen OpenGL mode, followed by the windowed app once you returned to the desktop. What happens then depends on the app, glxgears for instance is opened in such a way that the GL context's top left corner is the screen's top-left corner, so even the window frame is cut off, and attempting to move this window will cause the freeze and Xids. Apps like gliv or mplayer with vo=gl* will pop up at another position and freeze/Xid immediately. This leads me to believe the real problem is the origin of the GL context, not full screen vs. windowed mode as such; of course I could be completely wrong, however. prboom seems to be one of the apps which provokes this state with 100% certainty -- no ifs, buts or "after a while" here. Run glxgears right after X startup: fine; quit it and run it again: still fine; run prboom, then run glxgears again: mapped to (0,0), don't touch.

I said it's an oldie and I meant it; it was one of the reasons why I avoided upgrading from 100.14 as long as I could, but every driver after that seems to have had that bug on my machine (167.*, 180.*, 190.*), regardless of kernel (2.6.22, 2.6.30, 2.6.32) or Xserver (1.3, 1.6, 1.7) version. I don't think hardware issues are terribly likely either, considering I've had uptimes of way over 100 days with 100.19 and heavy OpenGL use (including windowed GL since gliv was my primary image viewer), and I still can run for months without any hickups, including fullscreen GL apps, as long as I avoid windowed OpenGL. Another thing: while 100.14 cleared the screen nicely to black when a new fullscreen app started, with every newer driver I get random garbage until the app does its first update; maybe this is connected to the problem, maybe it isn't, I just mention it for completeness. On a similar note: I run a very old-fashioned, non-3D window manager (ctwm), in case that makes a difference.

About the attached nvidia-bug-report: when I perused its contents I noticed it had picked up an installer log from WAY back when I initially set up this (Gentoo) machine and installed an Nvidia driver directly, not via portage. So this log is hopelessly out of date and not related to this bug or the machine's current config in any way. Please ignore that part; and let me know if you need any more info.
Andreas Dehmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 01:42 PM   #2
Andreas Dehmel

Default Re: Xids in windowed GL apps

I noticed that although the system information is contained in the bug-report file, it'd probably be a good idea to also have it in plain text here:

Dual core AMD64, running 64bit multilib Gentoo, 4GB main memory, nForce mainboard.
Graphics card is 7900 GS with 512 MB on-board memory.
Old 06-15-10, 06:00 AM   #3
adamk75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Dehmel View Post
I noticed that although the system information is contained in the bug-report file

Unless I'm missing something, you didn't actually post your nvidia bug report.

Adam
adamk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 11:12 AM   #4
Andreas Dehmel

Damn, so I did. Must have forgotten to submit it because I definitely selected the file for attachment. Right, second attempt...
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (50.1 KB, 68 views)