Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-21-08, 07:23 PM   #1
NtrmDscrptr

Default PowerMizer downclocking GPU during fullscreen OpenGL App

Hi.

I develop professional music software for linux, and the other platforms.

When I run my OpenGL music software in fullscreen mode, it's so efficient with respect to GPU usage that the GPU will mistakenly think it can underclock itself, at which point the framerate is cut in half. Even with the crappy framerate, the NVIDIA linux drivers still thinks it's perfectly fine to underclock themselves.

How do I fix this?

I'm testing this on my recently acquired m1730, with a pair of NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT cards in SLI (with SLI disabled, because it doesn't work). I'm using the latest beta drivers, version 180.16...

More importantly, it shouldn't be up to the user to fix this. There's absolutely no reason the GPU should be downclocking itself when a system is using AC power, and running a fullscreen OpenGL application.
NtrmDscrptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 07:42 PM   #2
ioaniro

Default Re: PowerMizer downclocking GPU during fullscreen OpenGL App

At least yours goes to max performance for short at least, in my case it is always downclocked at either 169Mhz or 275Mhz if I am lucky... Try that endless loop trick with "nvidia-settings -q all" that was somewhere on these forums, might work for you as a dirty solution while we get some kind of fix or someone removes the powermizer alltogether :-).
ioaniro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 10:38 PM   #3
NtrmDscrptr

Default Re: PowerMizer downclocking GPU during fullscreen OpenGL App

nvidia-settings -q all does up the clock speed to max, but it has two unacceptable side effects:

1. It causes xruns in JACK, which causes my music to skip while I'm performing. This mustn't under any circumstances happen.
2. It causes framerate spikes, which causes my projected visuals to stutter while I'm performing. This looks exceedingly crappy.

NVIDIA: Surely there must be a way to use the card I bought from you, without your drivers needlessly and destructively downclocking it, right??
NtrmDscrptr is offline   Reply With Quote