Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-29-03, 04:23 AM   #1
AgentX
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 28
Default Is the FX5800 teh best?

I was just wondering which is better out of the Radeon 9800 Pro or the FX5800 Ultra, I assume teh 5900 will own them all. Are nVidia making a comeback?
__________________
Athlonxp 1800+
GF4 MX460
512mb DDR
43.45 dets
3dmark2001 = 6324
AgentX is offline  
Old 05-29-03, 04:46 AM   #2
Uttar
Registered User
 
Uttar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,354
Send a message via AIM to Uttar Send a message via Yahoo to Uttar
Default

9800 Pro

Heck, the 9800 Pro is often on par with the FX 5900, and the 5800 gets totally owned.

9800 Pro is slower than FX 5900, but its IQ is also better.


Uttar
Uttar is offline  
Old 05-29-03, 04:48 AM   #3
mikechai
Aegophile
 
mikechai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 700
Default Re: Is the FX5800 teh best?

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentX
I was just wondering which is better out of the Radeon 9800 Pro or the FX5800 Ultra, I assume teh 5900 will own them all. Are nVidia making a comeback?
The Radeon 9800 Pro is definitely better than the FX 5800 Ultra.
While the new FX 5900 Ultra beats Radeon 9800 Pro in majority of the tests, it loses in pixel shader 2.0 performance.
__________________
P4 1.6A @ 2382 MHz | 149x16@1.625V | Asus P4S533 |
256MBx2 Samsung PC2700 | MSI GF2gts 32MB DDR
mikechai is offline  
Old 05-29-03, 04:58 AM   #4
DaveM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 82
Default

actually the 9800 Pro beats the 5900 Ultra.

I own the 5900 Ultra to back up my statements.

DaveM
DaveM is offline  
Old 05-29-03, 05:00 AM   #5
mikechai
Aegophile
 
mikechai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 700
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveM
actually the 9800 Pro beats the 5900 Ultra.

I own the 5900 Ultra to back up my statements.

DaveM
And you own the 9800 Pro soon ......
__________________
P4 1.6A @ 2382 MHz | 149x16@1.625V | Asus P4S533 |
256MBx2 Samsung PC2700 | MSI GF2gts 32MB DDR
mikechai is offline  
Old 05-29-03, 06:50 AM   #6
Behemoth
radeon 9800 pro
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Darkness Falls
Posts: 841
Default

fx5800 ultra is the best nvidia gaming card you can buy on the market now.
9800pro is supposed to be in the same class of fx5900 ultra.
under dx9 specification, 9800pro beats fx cards horribly, unfortunely, there is no dx9 game yet. nvidia prepared Doom3 benchmark shows that fx cards may do very well against 9700/9800 pro with proprietary opengl extension, since neither Doom3 nor dx9 games are out, its hard to tell how much better 9800pro really is in real dx9 games, its hard to tell how good fx really is in their proprietary opengl extension.
comparing 9800pro to fx5800 ultra is like comparing fx5800 ultra to 9500pro in my eyes. So 9800pro is overall better if you dont have any special reason to stay with nvidia, like linux or cg applications.

Last edited by Behemoth; 05-29-03 at 07:17 AM.
Behemoth is offline  
Old 05-29-03, 06:54 AM   #7
zakelwe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 768
Default Re: Is the FX5800 teh best?

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentX
I was just wondering which is better out of the Radeon 9800 Pro or the FX5800 Ultra, I assume teh 5900 will own them all. Are nVidia making a comeback?
I guess nv40 will be the first time we will be able to tell if nVidia are making a comeback.

They could make a compback though already by sorting out their drivers so they are completely above board, robust and very fast. That would be a good start Also maybe an announcement by the company on a new policy in regards to benchmarking.

Regards

Andy
zakelwe is offline  
Old 05-30-03, 09:21 PM   #8
AgentX
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Behemoth
fx5800 ultra is the best nvidia gaming card you can buy on the market now.
9800pro is supposed to be in the same class of fx5900 ultra.
under dx9 specification, 9800pro beats fx cards horribly, unfortunely, there is no dx9 game yet. nvidia prepared Doom3 benchmark shows that fx cards may do very well against 9700/9800 pro with proprietary opengl extension, since neither Doom3 nor dx9 games are out, its hard to tell how much better 9800pro really is in real dx9 games, its hard to tell how good fx really is in their proprietary opengl extension.
comparing 9800pro to fx5800 ultra is like comparing fx5800 ultra to 9500pro in my eyes. So 9800pro is overall better if you dont have any special reason to stay with nvidia, like linux or cg applications.
Isnt Vietcong dx9?
__________________
Athlonxp 1800+
GF4 MX460
512mb DDR
43.45 dets
3dmark2001 = 6324
AgentX is offline  

Old 05-30-03, 10:40 PM   #9
Behemoth
radeon 9800 pro
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Darkness Falls
Posts: 841
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentX
Isnt Vietcong dx9?
not sure.
Behemoth is offline  
Old 05-30-03, 10:51 PM   #10
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.
 
-=DVS=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Outerspace
Posts: 3,009
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentX
Isnt Vietcong dx9?
no its not it doesn't use any DX9 fetures other then ships DX9 on the CD its DX 8+ game
__________________
.:. Lian Li X500FX .:. i7 2600k .:. PNY GTX 680 .:. Corsair DDR3 8GB .:. Silverstone 800W PSU .:. Asus P8P67-M Pro .:. Crucial M4 SSD 512GB .:.
-=DVS=- is offline  
Old 05-30-03, 10:58 PM   #11
digitalwanderer
 
digitalwanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Highland, IN USA
Posts: 4,944
Cool Folks, you are SO over-thinking this one.

Quote:
Is the FX5800 teh best?
No.
__________________
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline  
Old 05-31-03, 01:29 AM   #12
Sazar
Sayonara !!!
 
Sazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,297
Default Re: Folks, you are SO over-thinking this one.

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
No.
?
come on m8... I have never known you to be @ a loss for words

its the best nvidia video card on the market @ this time... no doubt...



but there are products that compare favorably to it already out there on the market .. as have been described by the others in this thread...
Sazar is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.