Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-04-09, 01:19 PM   #1
bob2bob

Default Slow Internet at college on Vista PC in comparison to Mac

Hi like to start off with thanking anyone for any help or information I can get. Sorry for the wall of text just wanted to make sure you had all the information.

I go to a relatively small college about 2,500 people. Our school has wireless internet throughout the whole campus and direct plug ins strewn throughout (in every dorm room and classrooms). I have never been able to get wireless to work, but i've never needed it, and always just plug directly in.

The internet is pretty slow. takes a few mins to load a youtube video, general web searching is fast enough to put up with, but if you want to watch any extended video, play a game online, download any sorta of file, or do anything with like extended access, (had to watch a 45 minute video online for one of my classes... took over an hour to load half of it, then the internet shut off or rebooted making it so i couldn't watch the video cause there was no way to rewind or something so i would of had to sit there for an hour till it got to the right spot.

I've done a lot of research online, which brought me to this website, and the common consensus is that colleges limit their users bandwidth for certain activities giving them slower internet so no specific people are hogging all the bandwidth of the college. For instance the college does not let you do any P2P, which i'm totally ok with. They do however let kids stream full length movies, who let them just sit there and download overnight.

Supposedly from a post on here i read in 2005 this is because the college is blocking support and identifying some programs as not deeming the need for bandwidth. Is there anyway to make my internet faster for things such as an online game? From what I've read there isn't. But the interesting thing is the kids with Mac books or more specifically Mac book Pro's get really fast internet and are able to game online without their programs lagging up. My computer on the other hand receives really quick internet for the first 5 mins of being in a game and then it lags down really bad.

The ability to have quick internet is there, i receive it for the first couple mins of being in a game, and the kids with mac books are getting extended quality fast internet. Why do they get faster internet with a Mac? How can i get this faster internet on my PC? How can i extend the period of time where my computer receives fast internt before it slows down tremendously?

p.s. they way i've dealt with the problem so far is to just exit the game and then re-log-in after the internet gets slow. i then get another couple of minutes of fast internet before it slows down again

Thanks for all your help sorry for the wall of text just wanted to make sure i got all the needed information out there.
bob2bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 01:35 PM   #2
Runningman

Default Re: Slow Internet at college on Vista PC in comparison to Mac

do a pathping and post the results

start--->>>run--->>>>---type in "CMD" with out quotes---->>>then at the command line type "pathping" again without quote. to your favorite gaming server. post the results
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 01:56 PM   #3
bob2bob

Its to world of warcraft. Ms starts off at like 50 works it way to 150 then like 220 all playable then it goes to unplayable ranges in 450 to 3,000
takes like 4-5 mins to get to 3000.

i havn't even attempted counterstrike with the connection because i think the slow connection would make it even worse.

i'm going to try to play on a friends mac book pro and do some testing with youtube, World of warcraft, and some other gameson that and see how it goes.
Old 01-04-09, 02:04 PM   #4
Runningman

in order for anyone to even try to figure out what is going on, we need to have you run a few tests on the system, if you dont then we really cant help you
Old 01-04-09, 02:29 PM   #5
bob2bob

I can run tests but i'm not sure how u want me to run a test with World of Warcraft as i dont have an ip to type in for it. so i dont know how to do what you ask "to my favorite gaming server"
Old 01-04-09, 02:41 PM   #6
Runningman

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=WoWServerIPs
Old 01-04-09, 02:43 PM   #7
Q

Under Local Area Connection Properties, make sure that you don't have any of that extra Vista specific crap enabled. You should have these checked....

Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks (I would turn this off at college, though)
QoS Packet Schedular
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) V4

Turn off TCP/IP V6 the other crap, unless you have a use for VMWare or Appletalk or whatever. Make sure that the Link-Layer topology crap is all turned off.

The possibility also exists that you have some sort of malware that you're not even aware of. Even the best antivirus software can let you down. Run scans with Adaware and Spybot, the built in Defender product. If you find anything, turn off System Restore, boot into safe mode, then run all three products again along with your AV program and let it do its thing. Scan again later to make sure to got everything.

Finally, make sure you have all the current Windows Updates.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 02:51 PM   #8
bob2bob

did the thing wont let me copy and paste off of it so i'll just type it out

"C:\Users\Michael>pathping 63.241.255.80

Tracing route to 63.241.255.80 over a maximum of 30 hops

0 No resources."

Old 01-04-09, 02:56 PM   #9
bob2bob