Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-29-08, 12:27 PM   #1
pcjason

Angry Anybody having success with 8200 IGP?

Hello everyone,
I'm still fairly new to the linux world, but have been using Ubuntu for a while now on an old P4 + i845 system. For Christmas, I decided to treat myself to a better system to play around on, so I went with an Athlon X2 5050e processor, Gigabyte GA-M78SM-S2H (8200 based) motherboard, and 4GB of RAM. I intentionally went with an Nvidia product after hearing praises about their wonderful linux drivers, but now I'm regretting it. I wanted to see if anybody is having better luck than I am. Basically, no matter what driver I use (177.x, 180.x, 173.x won't compile with my current kernel) I get horrible performance in Flash videos. In full screen, the video looks more like a slideshow, and one of the CPU cores is pegged. This is with Compiz turned on. If I turn Compiz off, the Flash video problem is still present, along with horrific 2D performance. If I have a window open, and switch desktops, I can watch the screen get cleared line by line. As I said earlier, I have tried many different driver versions, and played with many options in the xorg.conf file. The only time that I can view Flash videos properly is when I use the vesa driver, but that is ridiculous because I paid for a product that has video acceleration! I realize that there is no helpful debugging information in this post, so please don't slam me for it. My intention is to see if anybody has an 8200 based product working well, and attempt to copy their configuration. Also, I have two days off from work this week that I intend to do a fresh install and dump all of the necessary information to help the developers fix this issue.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
pcjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 05:11 PM   #2
zim2dive

Default Re: Anybody having success with 8200 IGP?

Please set your clock and expectations back to 1990.. at that point, MAYBE you'll be satisfied with full-screen Flash performance with the 8200

Dunno if the issue is the nvidia drivers, or the adobe ones.. either way the result is something to be embarrassed about
zim2dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 06:58 AM   #3
X-Dimension

@pcjason

I've posted it in another thread, i have the same issues with 8200/8300 based boards on Mandriva Linux!
This seems to be a driver problem!

The combination Kernel 2.6.27 and Nvidia Driver 173.xx should work fine!
X-Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 07:53 AM   #4
zim2dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Dimension View Post
@pcjason

I've posted it in another thread, i have the same issues with 8200/8300 based boards on Mandriva Linux!
This seems to be a driver problem!

The combination Kernel 2.6.27 and Nvidia Driver 173.xx should work fine!
WOW.. love the irony.. instead of upgrading to 180 (from 177)... rolling back to 173 does the trick.. for full-screen Flash.. .I can almost watch hulu HD with that.. .alas I also lose all sound (out HDMI audio)... interesting...

what the bleep is going on with the driver for the 8200?!?!
zim2dive is offline   Reply With Quote