Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-10-09, 04:41 AM   #13
xorbe
Unbuffered User

Default Re: my system

try removing a card. if that doesn't help, try underclocking system ram or cpu, etc. find the source of the instability. try memtest86+. i have a failed pair of crucial ballistics in my desk drawer.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 05:44 AM   #14
scubes

thank you for the replys keep them coming. im putting crysis back on to test for instabilitys just to be sure. its the hardest game on my system i reckon.ill report back later....

well after running the crysis benchmark for a good while i came back and it was all crashed played the game for a bit and it locked up coming out of it with the pc not responding for a couple of seconds....and i thought the problem was fixed...
scubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 01:08 PM   #15
scubes

well i formatted my system hoping to get ride of the lockups swapped my ram around fresh install of windows i though might have fixed the problem but when playin oblivion after about a hour or so the pc completey freezes up and the only way to fixed that is to reset if now ive took the bfg card out this is really dissapointed for me because of the money i have spent on this system ill not be going sli gain after the trouble ive had with this ill never buy a tri sli mobo again or any nvidia chipset....
Old 01-13-09, 05:33 PM   #16
newls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubes View Post
well i formatted my system hoping to get ride of the lockups swapped my ram around fresh install of windows i though might have fixed the problem but when playin oblivion after about a hour or so the pc completey freezes up and the only way to fixed that is to reset if now ive took the bfg card out this is really dissapointed for me because of the money i have spent on this system ill not be going sli gain after the trouble ive had with this ill never buy a tri sli mobo again or any nvidia chipset....
Dont take this the wrong way, but I dont think your issue is SLi related nor Nvidia related. I think your problem is YOU! First and for most, DONT USE ODD NUMBER OF RAM. 3GB means 2x1GB, and 2x512mb sticks. NO NO... This was told to you many posts ago, and it seems you didnt try it. You have your system running with a little OC? Anyone can OC, but making it stable is a different story. I'll bet you a months paycheck, more then 75% of your BIOS settings are more then likely set to "AUTO" That is another NO NO..... You must predefine your settings with actual voltage numbers. Also, if possible swap PSU's with something else to see if it still happens

Remove your 2x512mb sticks (or you might be using 1 1gb stick, which is even worse!) and just use your 2x1GB sticks, and make sure your ram is running @ actual speed there designed for, no oc at all right now. Then run memtest for windows, and see if over an hours time, you get any errors. IF NOT THEN GO GAME WITH BOTH GTX280 CARDS INSTALLED. I'll bet your issue is memory related. If your still have lock ups, then use 1GB stick at a time to see which stick is causing the error (If it is mem related) These types of issues take time to figure out. You might have bought hardware that is to advanced for your PC knowledge. Once again, dont take me as an a*s, just being up front, and honest, and wanting to help
Old 01-14-09, 09:12 AM   #17
scubes

thanks for the reply i have tried just 2 sticks of ram the new problem is with both cards in @ once oblivion crashes and it locksup i never really got a chance to test it with the 2 cards in @ once becos of the crashing i havent got any 512 stick of ram just 3 1 gigers and one of them is out now i think in my bios my ram is set to 900 might be below spec my ram is 1066 id didnt think these mobo could run @ that speed my friend set it up for me cos im not to good with pcs lol ad it shows.. it was even going like this with my thermaltake tough power 850 watt thats why i got the 1500 version .
Old 01-14-09, 09:34 AM   #18
newls1

Your issue lies with in the bios settings, im sure....... with the nvidia chipsets (780i, 790i, 680i, etc..) you can run ram linked/synced/unlinked/ etc... Sometimes the mem controler doesnt like running a certain way, and you MUST find it out. I personally have never owned a 780/790/680 nvidia chipset, so I cant be precise with my wordings, but play within the bios settings to run your ram SYNCED/linked @ 1066 using 2.1vdimm. (by the way, what are you running for Vdimm voltages?) We can work at this, just takes time my friend.
Old 01-14-09, 09:42 AM   #19
scubes

cheers the the reply again mate i dont no what my voltages are but ill have a look and post them i dont want to fiddle with anything cos im not that pc great but ill have a look and post them here...
Old 01-14-09, 09:52 AM   #20
newls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubes View Post
cheers the the reply again mate i dont no what my voltages are but ill have a look and post them i dont want to fiddle with anything cos im not that pc great but ill have a look and post them here...
crap, your whole issue might just be a simple Vdimm setting. Your ram may need @least 2.1V, but your setting it to auto, or maybe 1.8v. That will cause alot of instability.