Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-05-09, 03:19 PM   #1
Snaury

Default [BUG REPORT] 8600M: gnome-terminal refresh and performance problems

Since sticky post was saying to file a bug report if I'd still experience performance problems here it is. Even scrolling this nvnews website is horribly slow in firefox (though, I must say, that nvidia is very close to nv driver with 180.18, but still it is still way too horrible).

Another, and primary, problem with 180.* (<=180.18) is that vte (gnome-terminal, guake, etc) often don't redraw themselves with Compiz, especially when using Midnight Commander. This is extremely serious and prevents me from using Midnight Command (with Compiz) at all. For example: sometimes, when pressing keys (like PageUp/PageDown when viewing some text file), there is nothing changed on the screen, but pressing Ctrl+L shows that it just didn't draw itself properly, these forgotten redraws are very confusing.

As this often happens with complete vte redraws (like PageUp/PageDown in Midnight Commander) with Compiz enabled, I'm not sure what it is related to. But, since I see it a lot less with 177.* it might be some regression in 180.*.
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.bz2 (31.8 KB, 113 views)
Snaury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 12:24 PM   #2
X-Dimension

Default Re: [BUG REPORT] 8600M: gnome-terminal refresh and performance problems

Did you have this problem also with the driver 173.xx and 177.xx Versions?
Many users report this problem with Geforce 8200/8300 IGP. The 173.xx driver series works much better, but has no sound over HDMI and also no VDPAU.
X-Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 12:46 PM   #3
Snaury

Default Re: [BUG REPORT] 8600M: gnome-terminal refresh and performance problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Dimension View Post
Did you have this problem also with the driver 173.xx and 177.xx Versions?
Many users report this problem with Geforce 8200/8300 IGP. The 173.xx driver series works much better, but has no sound over HDMI and also no VDPAU.
Well, I didn't check it with 173.xx, but I did check it with 177.xx that is shipped with Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex), and I believe I still had the redraw issue with compiz, although it was much more rare (if it was at all, since I'm not sure/can't remember).

As for performance, 180.xx is worse for me than stock 177.xx that is in Ubuntu 8.10. And both are so horribly slow that they once again squeezed me back to Vista. I hope performance and other problems would be resolved by the time Ubuntu 9.04 is released, until then I won't even try to touch this buggy crap again.
Snaury is offline   Reply With Quote