Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-20-08, 01:40 PM   #1
bwheaton

Send a message via AIM to bwheaton
Default VDPAU and OpenGL Textures?

Will VDPPAU be able to provide decoded frames and presentation times as OpenGL Textures at some point? Or decode directly to a provided texture object?

I haven't read through the API, but the online API docs don't hint at this ability.

Regards,

Bruce Wheaton
bwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 03:06 PM   #2
Dragoran

Default Re: VDPAU and OpenGL Textures?

It can output to X pixmaps, you can use GLX_texture_from_pixmap to create textures out of them, see: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/040489.html
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 12:20 PM   #3
bwheaton

Send a message via AIM to bwheaton

Thanks, and pardon my ignorance, but can X pixmaps be resident on the GPU? I can't tolerate a round-trip with the videos I have to deal with.

Bruce
bwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 12:52 PM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Yes, that's the whole point of GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 02:04 PM   #5
Thunderbird

I guess when you mix vdpau with opengl using glx_ext_texture_from_pixmap a memory copy needs to happen. Is it possible to prevent this? A friend of mine is considering using nvidia hardware in a broadcast product in which he in the end wants to render 4 720p streams simultaneously. I know right now vdpau offers only one stream, but would the hardware be fast enough for this? (a pci-express 2.0 link would likely be required for the bandwidth)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 05:54 PM   #6
Stephen Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
I guess when you mix vdpau with opengl using glx_ext_texture_from_pixmap a memory copy needs to happen. Is it possible to prevent this? A friend of mine is considering using nvidia hardware in a broadcast product in which he in the end wants to render 4 720p streams simultaneously. I know right now vdpau offers only one stream, but would the hardware be fast enough for this? (a pci-express 2.0 link would likely be required for the bandwidth)
Yes, at the moment a copy needs to be performed, from the VDPAU output surface to the X pixmap that TFP uses. We're aware this isn't as perfect as it could be. Also note that there's currently no synchronization between VDPAU performing the copy and TFP reading the X pixmap.

As an aside, it sounds like your friend is creating a professional product. I'd advise him/her to contact the NVIDIA professional services group to discuss his/her requirements. That group may be able to help prioritize any engineering effort for his/her project.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 02:44 PM   #7
jamesjones
NVIDIA Corporation

Also note the required copy operation would be from video memory -> video memory, which is VERY fast and wouldn't use any PCI-E bus or system memory bandwidth.
jamesjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 11:20 PM   #8
LinhNguyen

Send a message via Yahoo to LinhNguyen

Hi jamesjones,
Do we have any example for GLX texture from pixmap? We are moving our karaoke player box to HD box, we need to render some special opengl effect with menu and karaoke lyric over HD image. Please give some snippet code examples on rendering vdpau to X pixmap.

thank advance,
LinhNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote