Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-08-09, 02:24 AM   #1
Redeemed

Default Good deal for the price?

Well, I'm slowly starting a new build, replacing my Phenom rig finally.

Since I now have a BD/HD-DVD drive, I happen to need a new monitor to properly enjoy 1080p playback, so I'm looking for one to replace the Samsung you see in my sig. I was browsing Amazon's selection and happened upon this 28" Hanns-G monitor. Looks cool, it'll match the Silverstone Raven case I'm getting in appearnce is one reason I like it, the other is the specs are rather decent for the price... at least I think they are. But I'd like your guys' feedback. I know Hanns-G isn't nearly as popular as Dell or Samsung... but they aren't that bad still, are they? Just looking for feedback is all. I really don't want to have to spend near or above $500 for a monitor to watch my BD on... and I want something larger than 24". My current monitor is 22" (20.1" viewable)... a mere 24" wouldn't be substantial enough a screen size increase to warrant the purchase IMO. Hence why I'm really liking this 28". That's quite a bit of screen real estate I'd be gaining.

Here it is on Newegg, it goes for maybe $40 more here... I'd probably just buy it from Newegg since the price is so close. Is this a good deal still?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 03:12 AM   #2
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget
Default Re: Good deal for the price?

is there a reason you dont wanna go for Samsung? too expensive?
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 10:29 AM   #3
Redeemed

If you can find me a 28" Samsung, with comparable specs, for under $400 I'll consider it.
Old 01-08-09, 10:47 AM   #4
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Redeemed, you are getting the Raven? i want full review!!

pictures from every angle
Old 01-08-09, 10:49 AM   #5
Bearclaw

Wow. That price is awesome. It may not be "high end" enough for some guys around here but it is still awesome. It will work, and that is all that matters.
Old 01-08-09, 11:04 AM   #6
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Redeemed, you are getting the Raven? i want full review!!

pictures from every angle
From *every* angle?

Eh... I'll see what I can do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Wow. That price is awesome. It may not be "high end" enough for some guys around here but it is still awesome. It will work, and that is all that matters.
Hmm... so here's one positive post encouraging me to purchase that Hanns-G. This is more or less what I'm looking for.

Is Hanns-G known for putting out pretty good parts? I don't want to buy it if the odds are it'll be crap and defective upon delivery. I don't have much experience with Hanns-G so I don't know if they're generally pretty good or not.
Old 01-08-09, 11:40 AM   #7
methimpikehoses

I had a 19" Hanns-G and I found it to be very good. Srsly.

Someone just posted that 28 incher in the post your rig section... I think Roliath. You should ask him about it.
Old 01-08-09, 11:51 AM   #8
Bearclaw

I would back up Hanns-G, Redeemed. I like them. Never had a problem with them. They're cheaper, and they work just as well as any other more expensive monitor. It gets the job done.

Old 01-08-09, 01:23 PM   #9
Redeemed

Hmm... I'll have to contact that member with this monitor.

If their feed back is positive, and after I get my paycheck today (and assuming they paycheck is as large as I'm hoping it is) I'll probably place the order. I just can't decide whether I want to buy the monitor now or that silverstone case. With the Phenom IIs out I'm not questioning whether I should go ahead with this Q6600 build or just sell it all and start from scratch with the Phenom IIs. Honestly, they don't seem fast enough to warrant the extra $$$ it'd cost so I'll probably stick with the Q6600.

Now, silverstone case or Hanns-G monitor... Tough call.
Old 01-08-09, 08:15 PM   #10
Redeemed

Well, I'm still open to comments about Hanns-G. Only a couple here have commented, and I'd still like to hear other's opinions on them.

I'm probably going to buy this once I get home tonight... but I'm still torn between buying this monitor or that silverstone case. Any feedback or thoughts on the monitor in general is appreciated.
Old 01-09-09, 12:07 AM   #11
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
If you can find me a 28" Samsung, with comparable specs, for under $400 I'll consider it.
no that wouldn't happen
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote