Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-08-09, 01:33 PM   #13
diegoocampo

Default Re: 180.22 released stable! Discussion thread

I've just updated my laptop with this new "stable" version and this is what i have.

- Like it can be seen in the attachment i still have the bug graphic corruption commented in the topic http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123912. (i will be lucky if i can finish this post without a freeze).

- Still freezes after suspend to ram.

- Still not working the Brightness up/down keys of my laptop (that works perfectly with the nv drivers or the nouveau drivers)

This is what i could see in just 5 minutes of test, not mention of the normal slowness of the nvidia propietary drivers.

Thanks for this "stable release", my nvidia card is still not "linux-enable" and my laptop is starting to get old without a change in this sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bug.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	34903  
diegoocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 01:47 PM   #14
Vadim P.

What kind of a video card do you have? My 8600M GT at least suspends and resumes just fine, even with another monitor attached.
Vadim P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 01:48 PM   #15
bistory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadim P. View Post
What kind of a video card do you have? My 8600M GT at least suspends and resumes just fine, even with another monitor attached.
That's not the case of everyone, this problem has been reported to Nvidia : http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...9&postcount=80
bistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 02:03 PM   #16
diegoocampo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadim P. View Post
I am not sure of this but i think the problem is mostly related with laptop nvidia cards.
I have a samsung r70 with a nvidia 8600 go graphics card.

NOTE: as I expected my computer hung few minutes ago because of the graphical corruption bus
Old 01-08-09, 02:28 PM   #17
txf

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoocampo View Post
I am not sure of this but i think the problem is mostly related with laptop nvidia cards.
I have a samsung r70 with a nvidia 8600 go graphics card.

NOTE: as I expected my computer hung few minutes ago because of the graphical corruption bus
You know that your card might be fried? the 8600m is a g84 gpu, and there were significant defects with some of those gpus. That graphical corruption looks suspiciously like it is a hardware problem.
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 02:42 PM   #18
rockman1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by txf View Post
You know that your card might be fried? the 8600m is a g84 gpu, and there were significant defects with some of those gpus. That graphical corruption looks suspiciously like it is a hardware problem.
There's a whole thread about these issues.
Maybe it's unlikely that all we have these fried GPUs, but.. if so? how can we identify the problem?
rockman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 02:50 PM   #19
Robster

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
Improved compatibility with recent Linux kernels (that is with 2.6.28 by artem).
Just to be really clear, does that mean that the "nopat" option won't be needed with kernels 2.6.28-git2 and later? Has anyone tried this?
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 03:17 PM   #20
apaige

Screen remains black when connected to the GeForce 8300 IGP's HDMI socket with a HDMI to DVI cable. nvidia-settings says the screen is there, well configured, but it remains black (no signal).
apaige is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-09, 04:48 PM   #21
diegoocampo

Quote:
Originally Posted by txf View Post
A hardware problem that only occurs with 180.xx driver versions of the nvidia propietary driver in linux, and not in windows, not with other versions and not with the driver nv or nouveau??? it is clear it is not a related with any defect in my gpu, also i want to say that not all the g84 had this problem.
Old 01-08-09, 04:55 PM   #22
StormByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoocampo View Post
I've just updated my laptop with this new "stable" version and this is what i have.

- Like it can be seen in the attachment i still have the bug graphic corruption commented in the topic http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123912. (i will be lucky if i can finish this post without a freeze).

- Still freezes after suspend to ram.

- Still not working the Brightness up/down keys of my laptop (that works perfectly with the nv drivers or the nouveau drivers)

This is what i could see in just 5 minutes of test, not mention of the normal slowness of the nvidia propietary drivers.

Thanks for this "stable release", my nvidia card is still not "linux-enable" and my laptop is starting to get old without a change in this sense.
I can confirm this graffic corruption (even worse cases) here while using KDE4 + transparency options, but the good news is that this drivers renders KDE4 to run as smooth as KDE3 was (finally!! )
I reported that to nvidia in nvidia-bugs mailing list
StormByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 05:28 PM   #23
Fackamato
User

2.6.28, 180.22, seeing graphical corruption in gnome (more than usual, compared to earlier drivers), using compiz fusion. vsync is on. No time for bug report now though
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 08:54 PM   #24
gqman69

You know, what I don't understand is how nVidia claim this (the race condition) to be a problem of nvidia+xorg+compiz but in the meanwhile I enjoy perfect compiz with my laptop+intel... Furthermore, ATI users have very nice KDE4 performance even though their drivers are retarded in terms of features and programming ethics.

Why don't you fix MAJOR problems instead of stupid small fixes?

FIX compiz
FIX suspend/resume
FIX overclockability for GTX200
FIX the insane composite lag everybody is talking about, run ATI or Intel with composite and watch how it should feel

Ridiculous.
gqman69 is offline   Reply With Quote