Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-09, 10:44 AM   #181
zoomy942
 
zoomy942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bellevue, ID
Posts: 5,338
Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta available 1/9/09

well, i got the webcam working again. in 64bit.

not sure what happened butonce i installed 32bit and realized my 4GB would go unused to it's fullest potential, i went back to 64bit determined to make it work.

lol - and its worked fine
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 10:52 AM   #182
Bearclaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta available 1/9/09

That's a nice story Zoomy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 01:00 PM   #183
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta available 1/9/09

Looking at the system window we saw that the laptop had been given a Windows Experience Index of 2.0 based on the lowest score which happened to be Disk Data Transfer Rate. This had to be a mistake as in previous testing the Hitachi drive in this system had given healthier benchmark numbers. After a bit of searching we realized this was a common issue and the fix was to disable write caching on the hard disk as follows:


Go to Control Panel > hardware & sound > device manager
Locate disk drives, expand and find your main drive
Right click it and select properties
Click the policies tab, uncheck "enable write caching on this device", click ok
Run the Windows Experience Index again

Now we have a 3.5 WEI with a Disk Data Transfer Rate score of 5.3 up from 2.0.

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Wind...-and-Personal/
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 01:11 PM   #184
zoomy942
 
zoomy942's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bellevue, ID
Posts: 5,338
Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta available 1/9/09

right - and if you update your infs for your chipset manually... you can re-enable write caching and it will report the right number. mine does now.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 02:42 PM   #185
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta available 1/9/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
right - and if you update your infs for your chipset manually... you can re-enable write caching and it will report the right number. mine does now.
+1 PITA. Need intel chipset drivers for W7.
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 01:07 PM   #186
vmsein
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 344
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta available 1/9/09

Does anyone know how to edit tags using WMP in Windows 7? I'm either overlooking something somewhere here, or it's just not possible.
vmsein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 01:10 PM   #187
Bearclaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta available 1/9/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmsein View Post
Does anyone know how to edit tags using WMP in Windows 7? I'm either overlooking something somewhere here, or it's just not possible.
Just use Tag&Rename.

http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 01:56 PM   #188
vmsein
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 344
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta available 1/9/09

Thanks for the link to Tag&Rename, BearClaw. But I'm still curious to know if the tag editing capability has been removed from WMP12.
vmsein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-09, 02:55 PM   #189
Bearclaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta available 1/9/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmsein View Post
Thanks for the link to Tag&Rename, BearClaw. But I'm still curious to know if the tag editing capability has been removed from WMP12.
I'll check it out when I get home from work but I don't use WMP all that often so I wouldn't even know where to look.

I would highly recommend the T&G program though. I have been using it (As a suggestion from another member here) and I use it ALL the time for my music. Great program.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 03:16 PM   #190
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,948
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta available 1/9/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Looking at the system window we saw that the laptop had been given a Windows Experience Index of 2.0 based on the lowest score which happened to be Disk Data Transfer Rate. This had to be a mistake as in previous testing the Hitachi drive in this system had given healthier benchmark numbers. After a bit of searching we realized this was a common issue and the fix was to disable write caching on the hard disk as follows:


Go to Control Panel > hardware & sound > device manager
Locate disk drives, expand and find your main drive
Right click it and select properties
Click the policies tab, uncheck "enable write caching on this device", click ok
Run the Windows Experience Index again

Now we have a 3.5 WEI with a Disk Data Transfer Rate score of 5.3 up from 2.0.

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Wind...-and-Personal/

This didnt change my score at all.
__________________
i7-2600k @ 4.6Ghz, Zotac GTX 680 (1310/7000), 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID 0, Windows 7 x64, CPU and GPU custom watercooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 10:33 PM   #191
jcossin
-=> Indy <=-
 
jcossin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 476
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta available 1/9/09

Well I found my first major big bummer with Windows 7 64-bit...Punkbuster doesn't support it! Apparently Evenbalance has taken an official stance that they don't support beta OS releases either, so it doesn't look like Punkbuster will work until it is officially released.

For me that's probably going to be reason enough to go back to Vista for now...

Otherwise I've found Windows 7 to be very good and I REALLY like the new taskbar. I'll really miss it!!
__________________
http://www.cardcycle.com - Send greeting cards and gifts with a click!

http://www.greetingcardsgirl.com - Check out the weekly Free Sale list posted every Sunday.

Asus G71Gx Laptop
nVidia 260m GTX 1GB DDR3
Intel Core2Duo P8700 (2.53GHz)
6GB 800MHz DDR2
64GB Corsair Xtreme SSD
500GB 5400RPM SATA HDD
17" 1440 x 900 WXGA+ LCD
Windows 7 64-bit
jcossin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 08:50 PM   #192
Buio
Registered User
 
Buio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,092
Default Re: Windows 7 Beta available 1/9/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmsein View Post
Does anyone know how to edit tags using WMP in Windows 7? I'm either overlooking something somewhere here, or it's just not possible.
Another alternative, which is free but not as many features as Tag&Rename is mp3tag
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Windows 8 could be the next Vista News Archived News Items 0 06-15-12 10:30 AM
NVIDIA R302.80 Beta Driver for Windows 8, New OpenGL Extensions News Archived News Items 0 06-15-12 10:30 AM
Like XP or Vista: how will businesses treat Windows 8? News Archived News Items 0 06-06-12 09:10 AM
NVIDIA Brings 18 Years of Experience to Windows 8 News Archived News Items 0 06-03-12 06:20 AM
Sync it up: Hands on with the preview of Windows 8's cloud sync service News Archived News Items 0 06-02-12 08:30 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.