Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-05-09, 02:43 AM   #1
rese

Default NVIDIA 180.22 still unworkable for resizing windows (and X server crash)

Hi

after a few weeks of the 64b NVIDIA driver 180.22 I still really cannot work with the 2D set up: I have a sony laptop (Nvidia 8400M GS) under OpenSuse 11.1 and KDE 4.1.3 and basically resizing windows is just SLOW not to say stupidly slow...
It takes a few (5-7) seconds after I resize a window to get back control of my desktop and often the resizing does not do what I wish (and I have to do it twice).
Once every 1 or 2 days, I in fact get a full X server crash (everything freezes) after I resize a window and at the same time I move the mouse cursor down to the panel (not sure this is linked but anyway it freezes once in a while).

So all this to say that Nvidia for me just does not work at all. (As mentioned in a previous thread, this is the last time I am buying a laptop with Nvidia. Just spent too many hours doing all this)

Anyway, if anybody can help with my present setup that would be just great because I feel really stuck now.

thanks in advance

(nvidia bug report, gzipped, included, and short config is:
OpenSuse 11.1, Linux 2.6.27.7-9-default x86_64
KDE: 4.1.3 (KDE 4.1.3) "release 4.9"
GeForce 8400M GS/PCI/SSE2 Driver: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 180.22
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (27.7 KB, 94 views)
rese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 05:31 PM   #2
rese

Default Re: NVIDIA 180.22 still unworkable for resizing windows (and X server crash)

Just a short post to say that I finally switched to my intel integrated graphic card (no answer to my previous post anyway). Works perfectly after desintalling all nvidia softs. All 3D, 2D functions (and OpenGl after deinstalling nvidia softs) are ok.

So long, NVIDIA cards.
rese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 06:40 PM   #3
Peterix

Default Re: NVIDIA 180.22 still unworkable for resizing windows (and X server crash)

I have to say my experience with my 7600GT is very similar. It's a great for games, but can't draw 2d anywhere near fast.
You can 'obscure' this by enabling effects, which are properly accelerated. This doesn't change the fact that it takes up to a second to draw a 2d window. You just can't see the ugly white rectangles when they are drawn half-transparent...

Another thing is that because XRENDER isn't accelereated at all, it hits the CPU really hard. This makes my computer boot 15 seconds longer than it should.

Hell, I have all system services and X running in 4-6 seconds and then it takes another 25 to draw KDE windows on the screen. It's so painful to watch that I made KDE show a screensaver (it's called 'vermiculate') until my CPU settles.

There's one word for this: FAIL

Some observations:
Compared to ATI, I haven't seen *much* display corruption yet and many WINE games actually work. Also, there's vsync - no empty promises like with ATI. Performance is marginally better.
Compared to Intel, the 3D performance is better. Rest ranges from OK to terrible.
Flash sucks everywhere and eats CPU cycles like crazy.

Intel>NVidia>ATI/AMD for normal people
NVidia>Intel>ATI/AMD for gamers

If there was a discrete Intel graphics card I would've bought it years ago.
Peterix is offline   Reply With Quote