Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-10-09, 02:12 PM   #1
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Anyone using Windows Live?

I didn't realize that Windows Live offered all the little services they have, it's actually a neat little Facebook/MySpace/Blogger replacement if you know a lot of people on MSN. All of my friends use AIM/Gmail/Facebook so it won't profit me . . however, I did make a dummy account just to try it all out. I'm liking it so far. Anyone else?
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 02:16 PM   #2
Bearclaw

Default Re: Anyone using Windows Live?

Windows Live suxxor.

/Suxxor_stRom.
Old 01-10-09, 02:51 PM   #3
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

i stopped using google maps, after it couldn't find 4 addreses and live maps did found them.
Old 01-10-09, 05:22 PM   #4
Koko56

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
i stopped using google maps, after it couldn't find 4 addreses and live maps did found them.
That's odd...

As far as Live goes, I use Hotmail and Live Messenger (A.K.A MSN). Live overall does offer quite a bit, but it is a difficult task to take off now, as so many people would be using other services to which they are used to, also at a glance the interface looks a bit cluttered.
Old 01-10-09, 05:25 PM   #5
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

skydrive is nice
Old 01-10-09, 05:27 PM   #6
Bearclaw

Quote:
Well, finding a place is Poland can be tough.... Give it a break.
Old 01-10-09, 05:30 PM   #7
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games

I use "Custom Domains" (Live.com email, calendar, etc. on your own domain) heavily. 6 of my domains have emails hosted on Live.com, only primary one has Exchange 2007.

Live.com is an excellent service, especially with how it combines email and contacts between web access, desktop (Windows Live Mail), Windows Live Messenger and mobile phones email/messenger client.

Nobody comes close, Gmail included.
Old 01-10-09, 05:39 PM   #8
Koko56

Quote:
skydrive is nice
I've just discovered this, by reading your post. Imma see what it is now!

EDIT: 25GB haaaaayyyyy? That's pretty good.

Old 01-10-09, 05:41 PM   #9
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games

Oh, and Live Mesh is brilliant Probably the best internet application / service of 2008

https://www.mesh.com/

It keeps tons of my files synced between work, home, and notebook PCs, web "desktop" and mobile phone (HTC Touch HD, 800x480 LCD). Incredibly useful service.

Office Live Workspace is cool as well, basically a Sharepoint-like data storage for free with revisions, document preview, etc., and integration to Office 2007 desktop suite :-)

http://workspace.office.live.com/

There are many services under Live.com brand, and all of them are nicely integrated. I do not get it why some people use something as primitive as Gmail when there is Live.com...
Old 01-10-09, 06:01 PM   #10
Koko56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSticky View Post
Oh, and Live Mesh is brilliant Probably the best internet application / service of 2008

https://www.mesh.com/

It keeps tons of my files synced between work, home, and notebook PCs, web "desktop" and mobile phone (HTC Touch HD, 800x480 LCD). Incredibly useful service.

Office Live Workspace is cool as well, basically a Sharepoint-like data storage for free with revisions, document preview, etc., and integration to Office 2007 desktop suite :-)

http://workspace.office.live.com/

There are many services under Live.com brand, and all of them are nicely integrated. I do not get it why some people use something as primitive as Gmail when there is Live.com...
Have you got a thing against Gmail or something? Google does offer a lot of very good stuff too and it's all online from scratch, so it might be easier to adapt to using it.
Old 01-10-09, 06:11 PM   #11
LovingSticky
plenty of work, no games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko56 View Post
Have you got a thing against Gmail or something? Google does offer a lot of very good stuff too and it's all online from scratch, so it might be easier to adapt to using it.
Well, how do you sync Gmail contacts to desktop email client? And how to your mobile phone? And what about slow (Google) IMAP implementation versus fast (Microsoft) MAPI?

If you have very basic needs, Gmail might suffice, but .. why? When there ls Live.com for free.

Great thing about Live.com is I have one contacts database, which is used by webmail, desktop mail, windows live messenger, pocket outlook on mobile phone and windows live messenger mobile. All these parts are always in sync.

You do not have "George Washington" several times, once in Gmail, once in Outlook, once in your phone Addressbook. Same for email. Same for other Live.com services like SkyDrive, Events, Groups, Mesh, Office Workspace, etc., they all use single contacts database. That is very powerful.

Live.com is way more advanced than any competition IMHO.

Google is great for search (and ads), I use it hundred times a day. But they suck for anything else. Inferior products.
Old 01-10-09, 06:20 PM   #12
Koko56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSticky View Post
Well, how do you sync Gmail contacts to desktop email client? And how to your mobile phone? And what about slow (Google) IMAP implementation versus fast (Microsoft) MAPI?

If you have very basic needs, Gmail might suffice, but .. why? When there ls Live.com for free.

Great thing about Live.com is I have one contacts database, which is used by webmail, desktop mail, windows live messenger, pocket outlook on mobile phone and windows live messenger mobile. All these parts are always in sync.

You do not have "George Washington" several times, once in Gmail, once in Outlook, once in your phone Addressbook. Same for email. Same for other Live.com services like SkyDrive, Events, Groups, Mesh, Office Workspace, etc., they all use single contacts database. That is very powerful.

Live.com is way more advanced than any competition IMHO.

Google is great for search (and ads), I use it hundred times a day. But they suck for anything else. Inferior products.
It seems like you are using quite a lot of what Live has to offer, i.e. - "digitazed". Not all people need to keep everything at their finger tips... but yeah, I think understand that Live gives more flexibility.

Bold - well, I don't really need either one, I'm just talking from "I've used it for 5 seconds" perspective.